Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:47 AM   #1  
Bride-to-be!

S/C/G: 192/187/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Help me kick this sinus infection!

Hello everyone! I've got some sort of sinus infection/head cold that seems to be getting a bit worse. I'd like to try to beat it without going to the doctor, via healthy foods and perhaps a few supplements/vitamins if necessary. I don't really have an appetite today, however I just forced an apple down so I can make it through the morning. I'm leaving work at lunchtime to go home and rest.

I take a multi-vitamin daily, as well as B12. I also drink a lot of green tea and eat a good deal of apples, oranges, carrots, leafy greens, tomatoes, garlic, and onions. There's a Whole Foods right by my work so if anyone has any suggestions of some things I can pick up (whether they be foods, beverages, or vitamins) please let me know! I'd appreciate it! As of right now I'm going to get some soup!
Petunia418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:57 AM   #2  

run to the drug store and get a nasal irrigator, it will come with little packets which you add to filtered water (tap water will burn). Warm the water for 30 seconds in the microwave. Do this like twice a day. My dog broke my nose several years ago and and i get horrible infections. I promise this will help a lot.
hmtklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #3  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

I had a sinus infection that would not go away. Dr. recommended drinking a gallon of non-caffeine beverage a day to help flush it out. My Dr. was anti-antibiotic unless absolutely necessary. The extra H20 helped!
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/163/150

Height: 5'6"

Food wise, I'd recommend a batch of miso soup. If you have a Whole Foods, they'll have refrigerated miso in the same area where they have tortillas and cheese. It's a paste that makes a very flavorful, brothy soup. There are many recipes on the web, but here's what I do.

Sautee one small onion in sesame oil.

Add a package of sliced mushrooms.

Pour in a container of broth (chicken or veggie), and add ¼ to ½ cup miso paste.

Add small package diced tofu and a package of fresh baby spinach (or sprouts, seaweed).

Boil for awhile. Serve with diced green onion on top.

YOU WILL FEEL BETTER after eating this!
IngridonWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Neti pot.

http://www.amazon.com/Himalayan-Inst...9364434&sr=8-1

I've been able to knock out sinus infections before they go to the needing antibiotics stage, by consistent irrigation. My mom used to just refer to this as "snorting saltwater", which works pretty well. But having a neti pot or even a bulb helps a lot in getting the saline solution up into the sinuses.

My advice would be to do this in the shower where you can (sorry for the graphic description) just let all the water and snot run out into the tub and be washed away. I have a hard time irrigating over the sink and keeping things clean and dry (not just the sink, but my shirt, etc.). It's easier if you just get naked and get into a warm shower (which also helps open the sinus cavities. Then lean forward from the waist and go to town.

I promise you'll feel a million times better afterward.

Edited: I am pretty sure you can get a neti pot at Whole Foods. I know mine carries them. You don't really need the expensive packets of stuff for them .. just salt water will do. It's about 1/2 teasp. of salt to 2 cups water. Some places say less, but the slightly higher salt level helps to dry the sinuses a little.

Here's the Mayo Clinic video on nasal irrigation:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nasal-lavage/MM00552

Last edited by PhotoChick; 12-15-2008 at 01:13 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I use a water pic on the second lowest setting for my nose. (I have a seperate machine for dental use, I probably could use the same machine, with different attachment heads, but I use mouthwash in the water for the dental version, and I'm always afraid that if I don't rinse out the unit well enough, that's going to burn the nose like the dickens).

Garlic and hot peppers really seem to speed up recovery for me. I make a chicken broth or even just heat up a can of broth and add garlic and hot pepper. Fresh is best, but I'll use dehydrated if I need to.

When I was getting chronic sinus infections, I would drink cayenne lemonade. I would make a pitcher of Crystal Light pink lemonade and add as much cayenne powder as I could stand (shaking it between drinks so that it didn't all settle to the bottom and end up in the last few mouthfuls).

It sounds disgusting, and as much as I love spicy food, I can't say it's my favorite beverage, but it really works. I read about it in a magazine article (which recommended serving it hot or cold - I definitely can tolerate more of it cold, but hot it works as a decongestant even faster).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Sounds like you've got some good advice here. Nasal spray might help. If you have it for more than a month, though, try to stay open to the idea of getting antibiotics. I know someone who couldn't afford the appointment and had a sinus infection for almost half a year.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I would definitely look at getting a neti pot or something. There is a point though that you will need antibiotics to cure a sinus infection.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #9  

I am on the bandwagon for the saline rinse and for warm spicy soup. Id the whole saline rinse seems cumbersome, you can purchased saline mist pre-made in a container that you just squirt up you nose. It can get pricey, but it will give you an idea of whether it would help you, and then you may be motivated to make up your own. Good luck.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

I second, third, whatever the Neti Pot. My local grocery carries it in the pharmacy section. The saline mist is good for daily use, but the irrigation is much more effective once you're really gucked up. (That's a technical term, btw ) Hot spicy soup helps, and drinking lots of liquid. But still, if it goes on too long, you'll want to see the doctor for some antibiotics.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Quote:
but the irrigation is much more effective once you're really gucked up.
Heheh. What really helps is sushi with a hefty dose of wasabi, and THEN go irrigate while you're still streaming snot from the wasabi.

I know ... attractive sounding isn't it?

But I swear to god it works.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

LOL Photo Chick's image reminded me that the first time I irrigated the nose with the water pic, I sort of freaked out, because of all the "stuff" that came out. I couldn't believe my head could hold so much, err "stuff."

One thing that feels wonderful on the sinuses is a steamy towel on your face. I take a hand towel, and run it under cold water until it's soaked. Ring it out, and put it on a plate and microwave it for about 90 seconds (experiment because microwave power varies, and be careful when you pull it out that it's hot, but not uncomfortable). I wear my glasses or sunglasses to protect my eyes and then lay inbed with the hot wet towel across my forehead (and if it's really bad) my cheeks and nose too.

Hot showers help temporarily, also. We have a shower head that has a very fine mist setting that is wonderful for creating steam, but since the landlord has lowered the water heater temperature, it doesn't get hot enough to be effective, so I just take in a handtowel or large face cloth into the shower and put it over my head and stand under the hot water. The first time I did it, I felt like an idiot (but I'm in the shower, who cares what it looks like) and it really feels wonderful.

Last edited by kaplods; 12-15-2008 at 10:53 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 328/276/140

I've been seeing a holistic allergist recently and he recommended oil of oregano for fighting minor but irritating infections and colds. Haven't had a chance to try it yet but I imagine you can find it at Whole Foods. Good luck!
Boomcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:39 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

I don't get bad sinus infections usually,
but have found that a cup of hot ginger tea clears up most on-coming colds and viruses.
peel and boil a 1inch chunck of ginger for about 20 minutes or longer (at a low simmer) and drink.
works good for sore throats and colds.
I believe it is a natural anti biotic.

http://www.botanical-online.com/medi...ibreangles.htm

scroll down the above link to where it says 'repiratory tract'

i swear by ginger
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 238/216/148

A batch of spicy-hot chili works great, too. Use lots of hot peppers!

I've also heard zinc is very good (whether a supplement, or zinc-rich foods). Has anyone else heard of this? In fact, isn't that product Zicam (?) based on zinc?
bluejay is offline   Reply With Quote