Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default One pound apple!

Yesterday I bought some Fuji apples, and they were all so huge, I had to hunt for the smallest apples in the bin, but for the heck of it, I took one of the big ones too.

I weighed it at home and the one apple weighed nearly a pound (15 ounces plus), and determined that the apple probably has more than 200 calories because a 3.7 ounce apple has 55 according to Calorie King).

Crazy, huh - a single apple that is four servings of fruit.

Not just fast food is supersizing these days.

Last edited by kaplods; 12-09-2008 at 08:44 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #2  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

Bananas are getting bigger too.. lol
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #3  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Yeah, when I'm at the store I purposely hunt for the smallest bananas and apples that I can get my hands on just so they're not 2 or more servings of fruit...especially since it's not like you can eat half a banana, seal it up, and eat the other half later (unless you freeze it with lemon or something for a smoothie)

Last edited by LindseyLouWho; 12-09-2008 at 08:54 PM.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyLouWho View Post
Yeah, when I'm at the store I purposely hunt for the smallest bananas and apples that I can get my hands on just so they're not 2 or more servings of fruit...especially since it's not like you can eat half a banana, seal it up, and eat the other half later
I do that all the timeBut I'm eating it the next day, two tops.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #5  

I love the taste of the fingerling bananas, but I think I have to buy regular bananas and the mini bananas at the same time for a weight comparison, because I'm not sure whether one or two mini bananas are equal to one fruit.

They're pretty pricey though, so I don't buy them often, when regular bananas are so cheap.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:21 AM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Julie, I too eat 1/2 a banana all the time. I just kinda fold the skin back over the uneaten half (I cut the part I eat off with a knife) then put it in a snack sized ziplock bag. It does need to be eaten in the next day or so though..... I forgot one once - ewwwww.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:00 AM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I love small fruit! I recently bought some pears at the farmers market just because they were so small--only about 2 oz per pear--and I don't even like pears that much. I'm always hunting through the bin for the smallest fruit. At one of the farmers' markets I go to, there is a stand that specializes in tiny apples. They sell a bunch of different varieties, but they are all only 2 or 3 oz. I love them!

If figure that if I want more than 2 or 3 oz of apple, I can always eat two (or three), but it's a lot harder to eat only half an apple. Although recently I did keep a partially cut up Granny Smith apple (I was using it in a lunch recipe and only needed about an ounce at a time) in the fridge for about a week. I was pretty surprised to discover that the apple stayed crisp and did not discolor for about five days. I thought it would turn brown almost immediately, but it actually held up quite well.

A couple of years ago, someone sent me a Harry & David gift box that had some absolutely ginormous apples and pears in it. They were just huge, at least half a pound, if not more, per fruit. Honestly, why would anyone want to eat an apple that large? They weren't even that good. I think I ate about half at a time and put the other half in the fridge. What a disappointment!

I also will eat only part of a banana, but I slice the rest of the banana up and freeze it. I lay the slices out on a plate to freeze them and then throw the frozen slices into a ziploc freezer bag. Even without a lemon, it is several weeks before they discolor and I almost always eat them before then. The frozen banana slices taste like banana ice cream and I can take out as many or as few as I want.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

I actually like ginormous fruits. I find them so ridiculously filling.

I know they're like Frankenfruits, but it makes me feel like I'm getting to eat a lot without stuffing my face.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #9  
Pure American Metal

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/145

Height: 5 ft 7.5 in

I have to hunt for the smallest bananas because my son LOVES them. He will sit completely still on the floor until he's completely devoured the entire banana in 30 seconds, no joke. When we go to the store and he sees us put a bunch of bananas in the cart he just wails for one like most kids do sweets and candy.

Other than that the size of fruit doesn't bother me because my son always wants some of what I have or my husband will just finish off what I don't eat. They're my mobile garbage disposals.
TXJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Someone else who always looks for the smallest bananas on the display
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #11  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Love those ginormous Honey Crisps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
I actually like ginormous fruits.
Me too.

Used to have a Jack Sprat relationship with DW; she'd take the smallest banana and I'd take the largest - worked out. However, since I've been on my healthy journey, we both want the small-medium sized bananas. Gotta shop more diligently, since I could never eat half a banana.

But apples are another story: medium for Galas, and ginormous for Honey Crisp or Jona Gold.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 12-10-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Typo
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #12  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I always cut about 1/3 to 1/2 of a banana off of the banana, and just eat that portion and then eat the rest either later that day or the next day. It keeps fine as long as I don't peel it. The next day, I'll slice off the brown cut end and eat more. Works out fine.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:54 AM   #13  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

WOW~1/2 a banana only? Geesh I eat 2 or 3 large banana's everyday, I guess I'm a fruit freak or have a fruit fetish perhaps? I did notice the pears are getting bigger these days too, but bigger fruit gets no complaints from me!

A typical day with my banana's!

2 kashi waffles with a container of strawberry yogurt as my syrup & a banana sliced on top, sprinkle of ground flax

TLT- turkey breast on whole wheat toast, lettuce, tomatoe, miracle whip light, handful of baby carrots, plus a pear

4 eggwhite omelet with grn peppers, onions, shrooms, grilled chicken, side of brocolli, banana with peanut butter

My meals are plenty big, so I rarely eat snacks. On occasion when I get hungry between meals (TTOTM), I will have an additional piece of fruit like an apple or pear or another BANANA with a bit of peanut butter or a few almonds. During (TTOTM) the fruit is normally sliced and drizzled with chocolate syrup!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #14  
Workin' It

I had a HoneyCrisp yesterday that weighed 11.5 ounces and thought that was huge! And, it was one of the smallest ones that DH brought home. I've noticed the banana thing, too. For awhile the ones I got were are between 85-95 grams, now they are coming in at 135-160. I've been trying to get the small ones lately, too, but for some reason the last four bunches I got never yellowed....
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #15  

I did eat the pound apple myself, in one sitting, but it was my entire breakfast. I also weighed it (not only for this thread), but so I could count it appropriately (I'm on an exchange diet). It meant I ate all of my fruits for the day in one sitting, but I felt as full as if I'd eaten a bowl of oatmeal.

I'm not sure I'll do that frequently, as I did miss having fruit for a snack later in the day, but if I hadn't weight it, I could have easily convinced myself that it was only two or three servings of fruit (with an apple that huge, you've got to be really good at self-denial to consider it one serving of fruit).