Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/164/140

Height: 5' 6

Default Through the Lips and Off the Hips

My gym makes a variety of smoothies/shakes that are great. My absolute favorite is a burner called “Through the Lips and Off the Hips.” I am searching for the recipe so I can make them at home…it can get expensive buying them at the gym! I have been looking on line and have found a variety of other gyms listing this same shake/smoothie. However, I can’t find out how to make it myself. I know they use ice, a scoop of peanut butter, maybe some chocolate flavored syrup, and some burner powder. But I don’t have the exact recipe…I don’t want to buy the wrong things and be disappointed when I can’t get it to turn out the same. Can anyone help? Here is one of the links I found that mentions this drink, http://www.fitnessguruinsaukcentre.c...ers_drinks.htm. It has 22 grams of protein, 31 carbs, 8 grams of fat, and 317 calories. I could ask my gym I guess…but I don’t know if they can give me the info. I want! Thanks so much for your help!
silversparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #2  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

can you watch them make it and figure it out from there?
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Now *that's* some *fancy* marketing. 317 calories and it's a "burner!"
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyKisses0204 View Post
can you watch them make it and figure it out from there?
I try to watch them make it...but it's hard to see since there is a counter to stay behind. I see them put scoops of powder in the shake. But the powder is in a bin, not in it's original container. So I don't know exactly what they are throwing into the blender!
Old 12-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #5  
*Courtney Rae*

I would just ask them one day when you are getting it 'Hey what kind of powder do you guys use?' of make up a little fib.. "I told a friend about this drink and she wants to try it but she has a lot of food allergies. Can you tell me whats in it?"
Old 12-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Well, honestly, I don't know if you'd want to create it at home...317 calories is a LOT to spend on a beverage, and truthfully? There is nothing (and I mean nothing) that you can add to any beverage or food that has clinically proven "Fat burning" powers and has also been proven safe, at least in the amounts you'd be likely to drink it in. So whatever they're putting in there IS NOT going to help you "burn" anything more than your workout might have already. If such a magic ingredient had been found, you can bet we'd all have heard of it...it'd be on the news, on Oprah, and everywhere else.

If you want to make a protein shake, there are many protein powders out there on the market. They won't have mysterious "burner" powers, but then again, neither does the drink marketed by your gym, no matter how they advertise it.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #7  

Interesting feedback. I had one of these shakes last night after I worked out...it was my dinner. My gym has several shakes and smoothies to choose from. I specifically asked my trainer which shake she would suggest for me and this is the one she suggested.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Trainers at gyms with juice bars are often instructed to pitch the products, so I'd make sure to take any suggestions for things you have to BUY with a grain of salt. This was the reason I left 24 hour fitness and moved to a different gym...24 kept trying to sell me supplements. I was paying them to make me lighter, not my wallet!

I'm just saying that there is nothing magical about any ingredient in that drink that will help you burn fat, so you don't have to worry about finding the "right" powder. Just get any chocolate protein powder, add a bit of peanut butter, maybe some almond milk...you can get the same amount of protein as you'd get in that drink, probably for fewer calories (particularly if you used something like pb2, which has the protein of peanut butter but some of the fat removed).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #9  
Workin' It

Here is one I've made before:
10g fat/27g carb/35g protein/328 cals

-1 tbsp peanut butter (I used Peter Pan Creamy, PB2 would cut fat some, maybe calories, don't know, never used ir)
-2 tsp lite hershey's syrup
- 29 grams (one serving) Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Way Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor
- 2 oz. ff milk
- 55g ff vanilla Oikos

Wouldn't define it as a burner, though. When I made it while I was restricting calories I cut the protein powder down, cut down the yogurt, got it in at 275 I think. I've also added a banana for the texture, but that gets it close to 400.

Edit - I made it with the chocolate flavored protein powder once or twice, but always had to still add chocolate syrup (at least 1 tsp) because I never found a chocolate powder I liked.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 12-11-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #10  
*Courtney Rae*

can i ask... what is an oiko?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #11  
Workin' It

sorry, it is the Stoneyfield Farms brand of Greek yogurt. I also used plain 2% Fage, another brand of Greek yogurt. Had a little more fat, less calories, but they have a non-fat version also. It is easier for me to find the Oikos, but I think I like the Fage better. Greek yogurt has more protein than our standard yogurt.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Whew, I just toss in some fruits with some ice and call it a day. If I am running low on protein I will put in a package of Raw Foods & Whey made by Biochem. I buy it at my Farmer's Market. It just has beans, brown rice, pumpkin, fig, Buckwheat sprouts, and millet in it. The package has 110 calories.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #13  
Workin' It

I have a smoothie every day for breakfast, so I have several different recipes I use. I always use protein powder, because I'm targeting 25-30% protein daily and this gets me off to a good start. I vary these days from 415-480 calories, depending on if I have coffee with it or not. During my calorie restricting I cut the protein powder and yogurt down, did between 275-325. Most days I use frozen fruit and banana - the chocolate and peanut butter is a special occasion smoothie.

Thighs Be Gone, The Raw Foods & Whey mix sounds good. I'm going to have to look for that.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Pretty good stuff and has 20g protein
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #15  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I make something similar for my husband...although his is a gainer and not a "loser"

I use:
4 scoops of chocolate cytogainer (800 cals)
2 T. natural peanut butter
1 banana
a sprinkle of dehydrated cane juice or honey
once in awhile a few strawberries
a bit of water to make it blend easily
fill to the top with ice

All in all, it has around 1100 calories. He usually has one a day and then takes another 800 calorie shake of just water and protein powder.
I worked at a smoothie shop during college. When we would have something that was a "burner" we would usually break a burner capsule and add it to the beverage - more often than not it was ephedra based. I would use a chocolate protein powder (I, personally, use muscle milk light - low calorie, low carb, really low sugar), add a tablespoon of peanut butter and some sweetener (honey, splenda, whatever), ice and water.

Last edited by zeffryn; 12-11-2008 at 05:24 PM.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote