Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/206/150

Height: 5'6

Default Weight loss disappointment

I thought I was doing so well with my weight loss, until I weighed myself at the gym. I found out I was not in Onederland, I was 10 lbs away. It seems my scale was off.

I went out and bought a new one, but fell into the vicious pity party cycle. The more I ate, the more depressed I became, the more depressed I became the more I ate. Then came my yearly blood work, triglycerides at 259. I have a family history of heart disease, my sister has already had open heart surgery, she was 43 years old.

I saw my sisters cardiologist today and had an EKG and a Echo. Everything looked good, but she is taking the over preventive route. So goodbye fried, fatty, sugary foods. Hello healthy foods and exercise. I know I have to do it, I want to be around to harass my kids for a good long time.

Nothing like a forced change for motivation.
danemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You can do it! But try to figure out how to make it about you, because that is what will sustain you through the long haul.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7

Dear danemom,

I think you learned a huge lesson in Weight Loss School....the dreaded numbers game and how it plays with our minds! Drats! Oh, I have so been there. I bet you were feeling pretty good about your diet and exercise plan before you stepped on that scale....and then zappo!

I have an aversion to the scale....in fact last time I joined WW, I told them I did not want to know THE NUMBER, just up or down....even with that, one week no loss so I gave up! That was about 3 years ago and I had given up dieting! and my weight slowly creeped up.

But since then, I have made peace with the scale. I decided that having the positive feedback was an important piece....sometimes a reason not to eat because I want the good results. So I bought a scale with a decimal point and promised myself that I would only worry about the numbers to the right of the decimal point....the o.1 lbs.....and decided to celebrate each 0.1 lb weight loss....losing 0.1 lbs seems so much easier! and 20 lbs later I am still focusing on the very tiny babysteps and the pounds are adding up and I am not getting freaked out.

The journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step....Tao

Babysteps, babysteps and many many small victories...it helps me feel good now and enjoy this frustrating process of weight release.

best wishes,
thinkerbell

Last edited by thinkerbell; 12-09-2008 at 06:10 PM.
thinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 365/270/160

Height: 5"11'

Ahhh! Be careful too...if you just started working out you might not see results for a while. I started at the gym and was crushed when I saw weight GAIN...turns out I was just being the Hulk. Haha. I was building muscle so I kept gaining weight, but yesterday, four pounds down last week. So hang in there and the numbers will become friendly!
TheTinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Why would you weigh on a different scale and then use that as a reason to throw away all your hard work?

EVERY scale is "off". You will never find any two scales that are exactly the same unless they are calibrated side by side at the same time in the same location. And the minute you move one of them, it becomes uncalibrated and it will be different from the first the next time you read it.

Weighing on different scales is a sure way to frustration and failure.

Pick ONE. Use it always. Don't weigh yourself on other scales.

Period.

You cannot judge your success or failure based on jumping from scales to scales.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:08 AM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

As Photo said, pick one scale & stick with it. All scales are not created equal.

But a good lesson was learned. Stopping our good habits & eating more doesn't lead to positive feedback from the scale. (And that's all it is, feedback. Not judgment.)

So onward we go! No matter what the numbers are.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkerbell View Post
Babysteps, babysteps and many many small victories...it helps me feel good now and enjoy this frustrating process of weight release.

best wishes,
thinkerbell
Awesome advice thinkerbell! If you can view your weight loss as one small step at a time, instead of a huge undertaking, it makes a huge difference in your motivation. At least I have found it does. I try not to think about the fact that I want to lose 91 lbs, I try to focus on one thing at a time... My next mini goal- reach 180's.... After that, reach 170's... But when it comes down to it, it's really 1 single pound at a time.... One pound at times, add's up quicker then you'd think. Be happy & excited with every single pound you lose instead of being bummed you didn't make it to a certain number at a certain time... Each number you want to see will come in time as long as you stick to your plan!
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/206/150

Height: 5'6

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I am finding heart healthy recipes and my 10 yoa daughter is my biggest cheerleader. I have a co-worker who decided it was never too late to eat healthy so he asked if he could follow my lead.!!

So far so good.
danemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 262/262/145

Height: 5'8"

danemom,
Sorry about the frustration, I'm sure it'll all work out if you keep it up!

Is Onederland weighing in the 100's?
Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

Yep Nixie.

Danemom -- Who cares what the number on the scale said. You have lost the same amount of weight as before!!! Some scale at the gym can't take that away from you. You ARE doing great...and you will hit Onederland on your new scale in no time -- and it will feel even sweeter when you do.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote