Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 05:56 AM   #1  

Default Someone please help me.

Hello everyone. I need advice on how I can go about losing 2-3 pounds per week. I know they say only 1-2 a week is healthy, but I see some people have managed to lose 3 per week healthy. Please someone help me. Thanks
Old 08-22-2002, 09:15 AM   #2  
Hot Stuff

May I ask, why the rush?

Some people do lose more than 1-2lbs per week, but that is the recommended rate at which to lose it healthily and keep it off. How people lose more than that could have infinite answers. Could be water loss, could be that they ate different foods than the week before, exercised more or differently....the possibilities are many.

As the saying goes, you didn't gain the weight overnight, it isn't going to come off overnight. What is important is that you are changing your outlook and way of life, and getting healthy in the process. There is no quick fix that will result in permanent weight loss.

Be patient with yourself.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

I know how you feel, I often go n crazy diets to lose weight fast. First let me say that the slower the weight comes off the longer it stays off.. it's a fact. But there are times when slow won't work so I reccomend diets like the Rotation Diet (you eat 600 cal for three days, 900 for 4 days and then 1200 for a week and then repeat the 600/900 week, then take a week off and then begin again) you should lose about 2/3 a lb a day if not more. But you have to exercise too! Or there's the scarsdale medical diet ( http://lowcarblisa.tripod.com/thescarsdalemedicaldiet/ ) People lose fast on it. But remember one thing... when you lose really fast you have to work extra hard to maintain or you will gain everything back in record time, and don't forget to exercise or you'll slow your metabolism down and when you do try to maintain you won't be able to eat much at all without gaining. So just be careful and listen to your body.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:16 PM   #4  

Renee,
People often do lose weight faster, but you need to take into consideration their current weight. I am a RN and by no means an expert, but I took a lot of nutrition classes in nursing schools and recommended safe weight loss is 1% of your body weight a week. People that weigh more use more calories just to survive and a heavier person who stays on program is more likely to lose at a faster rate, at least initially. If you cut calories by too much, then you defeat yourself by cutting your metabolism as well. I know this didn't offer any advise on how to lose, but maybe it may explain some things?
Closed Thread