Old 12-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Question Running in the cold?

Question- This is my first winter ever that I have ran. The other night I ran in intervals for 35 minutes, when I was done, my lungs felt like someone was sitting on them. I kept coughing and wheezing all night. T

his never happens when it's warmer, is there anything I can do to prevent this? It makes me not even want to run outside but I need to. I don't want to use the cold or my lungs as an excuse.

Thank you for any help!
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #2  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

do you have an asthma pump at home? sometimes cold weather can bring on what you seem to be experiencing. if this is the first time with these issues--

1. try running more slowly
2. maybe you have a touch of asthma type bronchiole stuff going on-- check with doctor or health clinic

my friend has the same cold weather issue.. she just moved to an indoor treadmill. luckily, I don't have this problem. but I am a really slow runner.

good luck!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

It happens alot to me .. i have a nebulizer (sp?)
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #4  

Thanks Kitty, but I don't have asthma at all. I've never had trouble breathing, it's literally just when I run in the cold that this happens and I don't have a treadmill.

I've heard that this is quite common? I wonder why it's the cold air?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #5  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

I think it's the cold air. It's the reason why I don't like running in the winter (that, and the rain and cold). I switch to other types of exercise and keep my running for better weather!
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I've noticed that my lungs "catch fire" more when I'm running outside in the winter.

What kind of temps are we talking?

In Denver, the air is dirtier in the winter and seems to affect me more, but I actually enjoy running in the cold. My minimum temp is around 30 degrees. Maybe a little lower if it's dark (don't ask, I don't know why).

I've found that having excellent outdoor gear to run in helps a lot. I've acquired a collection of cold gear from Under Armour over the past few years, but there are cheaper versions. The more warm my body can stay, the better off my lungs are.

Last edited by junebug41; 12-10-2008 at 12:25 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #7  
No description available.

Yes, it is the cold air. I read in Runners World that you could try putting a scarf over your mouth while you run so the air is a little warmer or try breathing through your nose. Same thing happens to me, but it is very much in my trachea. I think that running + cold air can trigger asthma like symptoms.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #8  

They make these hats that go over your face accept for your eyes. Lots of Wisconsin runners use them because yes, it is the cold that is hurting your lungs. Putting something over your mouth will help, but running in the cold just plain sucks. Might want to think about looking at options to run indoors so you don't get discouraged and quit.

Negative 10 in Wisconsin this morning! BURRR! Treadmill for me!!!
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #9  

I live in Sacramento so the coldest we're talking so far is mid 30's. I might try the scarf, that sounds like it could work.

Uh duh, I don't really dress that warm when I go running, since I don't have a lot of winter clothes at all. I wear a hoodie jacket and sweat pants. The other thing that gets cold is my face and throat. I don't even own a hat or scarf.... looks like I need to invest in them. lol
Old 12-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #10  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here we go again View Post
I live in Sacramento so the coldest we're talking so far is mid 30's. I might try the scarf, that sounds like it could work.

Uh duh, I don't really dress that warm when I go running, since I don't have a lot of winter clothes at all. I wear a hoodie jacket and sweat pants. The other thing that gets cold is my face and throat. I don't even own a hat or scarf.... looks like I need to invest in them. lol
Get thee to Tar-jay!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #11  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

I just asked this question on the 170's thread haha!
I am having that huge urge to just RUN but with the windchill it's like 14 degrees farenheit out there!

I hope you get some good tips, I'll keep checking too hahaha!
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:49 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default Eh...

Unfortunately, running in the cold is just one of those things. I've got very mild asthma but the cold always makes it act up. You should probably get checked for it just by your symptoms because they sound suspicious, or at least explain the symptoms to your doc. He could give you an inhaler to puff before you go run in the cold and that helps a lot.

Other than that, walk briskly first for about 15-20 mins to warm your body up and let it adjust to the cold air, PRACTICE BREATHING IN THROUGH YOUR NOSE ONLY -- this requires learning how to time your breathing while running instead of panting. You can breathe out of your mouth, but eventually get to where you don't need to. You'll notice you run better once you get it down.

That's all I can offer up, but you can take comfort in the fact that you do tend to run a lot faster when it's cold. LoL. You would die seeing army P.T. tests in winter. People strip down to just that little t-shirt and shorts in 20-something degree weather to do the run. I was hesitant but when I finally gave it a shot, I finished my 2-mile in just under 13:30.

Last edited by NishKitten; 12-10-2008 at 11:49 AM.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #13  
*insert inspiration here*

S/C/G: 286/185/130

I don't remember exactly, but when you breathe, you're warming and humidifying the air as it gets into your system, but in running in cold weather, it doesn't have time to warm and humidify so it’s all dry and cold and that's why it burns...something like that. Either I'm making this up or I saw it on TLC. LOL! Yeah, try the scarf. When I walk at the Marina in the morning, people be running around with only their eyes showing.
caligirl98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 144/118.4/115

Height: 5"4

I wear a Balaclava and that helps the air get a little warmer. My coldest temp that I'll run in is 10 deg F and it holds up well, also some cold winter tights, a good running jacket, and running gloves are worthwhile investments. This is my second winter running in the cold it is a lot easier the more you do it. Stick with it, your lungs will adjust. Good luck!

Last edited by JackieRn; 12-10-2008 at 11:58 AM.
JackieRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

I live in Minnesota, so the winters here are BRUTAL. Not as bad as in some places though (like Canada!) But, if you're going to put any ordinary scarf over your face when you run - be sure it's not below freezing (32) or else the moisture that you exhale collects on the scarf and freezes. This happens to me when I walk to class in the winter, agh.

Running out side wrecks havoc on my lungs in the winter, it almost always makes me sick. So - I just stay inside. I hate the cold brrrrr
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote