Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default What's the first thought that goes through your head when you look in the mirror?

What's the first thought that goes through your head when you look in the mirror? Is it negative? I just read in the latest Fitness magazine that we need to STOP this. Do most of us focus on our flaws? Do we think everyone else is noticing them - or is the truth that everyone is so worried about themselves they aren't really noticing?

I know I"m a perfectionist too worried about little things. I sat in church on Sun and thought goodness, I am MEAN to myself. Other's have REAL bodies, clothes that don't match just right - some quite odd if they aren't into fashion. Yet they seem happier about themselves (of course part is letting go and letting god perhaps and not being as self centered as I am). Here I am all worried about the blazer just perfectly fitting to cover this or that... on and on.

But how about when we look in the mirror we stop the negative talk and instead of looking for our flaws and magnifying them, we look for what we like. What do you like about yourself that you can say to yourself, hey you look GOOD today? We are all works in progress but to obsess and aim at perfection not living in the today, we are missing out - somehow others who are more secure no matter how they look seem to be happier!

I've read over and over that those who see the biggest flaws looking in mirrors are the thinner people, models even, actresses. How sad that is. What can we do to improve how we feel about ourselves in this society, still working on ourselves to lose weight and improve but stopping the hammering on ourselves. Think of how many times a day you look in the mirror and go UGH? Let's not do that anymore...
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #2  
Workin' It

When I went to the restroom a few minutes ago and looked at myself in the mirror the first thing I thought was something bad about my hair. Then I noticed that my lipgloss still looked great.

When I look at myself when I first get out of the shower the first thing I think is how my tummy is still all poochy and sticks out. I'm trying to make myself think of other things - this morning I consciously came up with positive things about my appearance today. It made me feel better about the tummy.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

Well, before I got on here this afternoon, I walked passed my bathroom mirror putting clothes away in my closet. I had two thoughts...

1) I wish my nose was a little narrower at the tip.
2) My eyes are really beautiful with my blue-green shirt. It makes their blue-green color look really intense with my fair skin and dark hair...thank you Black Irish heritage.

So, I guess those two sort of even out to neutral? It could have been worse...
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

This morning when I walked into the bathroom my first though was - I so wish I had boobs :P

This was followed by I like my stomach, it has a nice shape now but I want definition back.

And then this was followed by - I love my arse!

Oh, and my skin looks great today and my curls are sitting really well.

I made a conscious effort awhile ago to stop being self critical and I am now self "constructive" - I'm not a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" person...If it's not broken it can still be improved
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #5  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Usually I think things like this:

"Huh, you're pretty hot for an old fat lady."

"Not bad...let's fluff the hair like so and put on the sultry pout..."

"Wow, my skin has really improved."

"I wish my hair was -blonder-, like it used to be."

"You know, you really -have- lost a lot of weight."

Mostly positive, I guess. It helps that I just physically feel really good.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 365/270/160

Height: 5"11'

When I look in the mirror...I don't think. XD
No seriously...I look at myself but I don't think bad or good, that's just the way I am.
TheTinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #7  
FB

I walk by a hallway mirror dozens of times a day. Each time I walk by it I momentarily pause and look in. It's a small antique mirror that's hung at face level. Most often I don't think anything - I merely observe myself, I'm accepting, I like what I see but don't think over particulars. It's just a quiet moment that happens often. It's peaceful if that makes any sense.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

When I have bedhead and am in my robe & pajamas, it's "hahaha". When I am dressed, with my hair done and all of that, I think "hmm, pretty good " when I am without clothes just out of the shower, it's usually something like "I should work on toning up a little bit..."
Depending on the day, results may vary.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #9  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

pretty much yuck. gross. i dont like the way i look. i know thats bad but i know i can work on it to.

i love my boobs, but i paid alot for em so i should do!
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #10  
=D

Interesting question.

I usually think "hrmm... I want to change my hair"
... I get bored with my locks easily. As a result, it's still recovering from years of red/black/purple dye. It's finally the natural ash blonde again.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #11  
Being A Better Me!

S/C/G: 211/191/150lbs

Height: 5'5"

My thoughts ---> "What happened?!?! "
migotokokoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #12  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

Lately what goes through my head when I look in the mirror lately is "This is going to be gone soon"
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I usually examine my profile with the help of my cosmetic mirror that accordions from the wall. I have a little pooch under my chin and I wonder how I would look without it. Lately, I have noticed my face is slimmer looking. I am getting ready to hang a full-length mirror in my home--something I haven't had since I was a young girl.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Usually in the morning I'm feeling pretty slim, and I'm admiring myself in the mirror because my upper body is thin, my abdomen has gone down a lot, my butt is becoming flat (not actually good!) and my thighs are thinner. I'm still adjusting to the changes. But later in the day I'm likely to be feeling fatter - noticing my belly more, my thighs will look fat. I don't know why it's different
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 210/199/150

Height: 5'6

My thoughts are generally JC what happened to that young thin girl I once was??
I consider myself very unattractive woman so just looking in the mirror is a challenge.I need to get rid of the grey ,and how old do you have to be to have good skin?,Dang I am a fat cow.
I have ugly clothes a fat body and an ugly face....guess I better go to work.
I wish I wasn't so embarrassed and ashamed of who I am.
cartp is offline   Reply With Quote