South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Phase I Chick-Check - Dec. 8 and onward

If you are a Phase I chickie, please post questions and menus HERE so we don't have too many threads asking the same questions. (I'd merge the existing threads into this one but it screws up the order.)
Existing question threads will be closed as they seem to have been answered.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

Hello, Phase 1 chickies! Well, I made it through the day, and the I'm-hungry-and-tired-and-don't want to cook dinner portion of my night. Now I just have to make it to bed without eating any junk. I'm finding Phase 1 just as easy as it was the last time. I don't expect to lose as much as last time (12 lbs) but at least I am breaking the binging/sugar addiction trail by starting fresh. How are the rest of you doing?
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 179.5/175/130

hi! well, I've made it through my first week a lot easier than I thought I would, but now I'm getting bored with the limited food choices. anyone have any creative breakfast or snack ideas? I'm mainly doing eggs in the morning- either the veggie quiche cups in the book or plain old scrambled with a side of canadian or turkey bacon. snacks are cheese sticks, cottage cheese, or yogurt. I'm not really one for munching on veggies for a snack.
dag921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/203/160

Height: 5'6"

Week one was a blast for me! We had so many yummy meals that I almost forgot I was on a diet! If you are craving something different for breakfast, make the Phase 1 peanut butter cookies and freeze them. I grab two out of the freezer every morning and eat those for breakfast. They are so filling because all they are is peanut butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and Splenda. You can even add cinnamon or cocoa powder for multiple flavors. We've been doing tons of grilled chicken and steaks using all kinds of different spices. Spices are your very best friend. I fell off SBD last time because I just ate plain chicken or steak every day. This time every meal tastes different, it's great!! There are alllll kinds of websites with recipes if you don't find anything on here you like. My latest favorite is recipezaar.com I found a SBD Phase 1 White Chicken Chili that is DA BOMB!!! We liked it so much, we've had it twice and we just started week 2 today. I've lost 6 pounds so far, in one week! We didn't even have a chance to hit the gym last week between work and writing papers and studying for finals, so I'd say we're doing great!
PrincessHoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #5  
SB Fan

S/C/G: 215/194/155

Height: 5'8.5

I'm on day 5 and haven't hit the scale yet though...

I had some serious cravings yesterday (day 4) and ended up eating a SF pudding cup (which turned out to be a no-no) but that was the end of my cravings. Granted I still DROOL at the Starbucks pastry display while I'm waiting for my drip but it doesn't even cross my mind to cheat. In my mind, its like I'm treating myself for a disease and those are off limits.
I'm not perfect though.. I've already planned my birthday dinner with my husband to The Melting Pot (fondue place) and my birthday isn't for months!

I've noticed I'm much more tired now that I'm not running on constant sugar and caffeine. I kinda miss the energy boast though especially while I'm gearing up for finals (grad school).

I think if I try making any of the desserts I'll fall off the wagon.

Wow this is a long post. I guess I'll stop now.
jazzer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #6  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Jazzer - there are options at The Melting Pot. Most of their entree fondue cooking options are pretty SB friendly, the cheese fondues are pretty high in fat and calories, but in moderation could be ok. The chocolate fondue would be ok as well in moderation, I would suggest getting a pure dark chocolate dipper and only dip the fruits. Fortunately the entrees come with all the veggies you can handle - and except for the white potatoes, all are SB friendly.

You can even have a glass of wine if you want....if you're on Phase 2 at that time.

The Melting Pot is fun, enjoy!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to all the Newbies! JAZZ, you'll find your energy returning, now that you're past the first few days of Phase 1. I'm glad you're hanging in there!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #8  

Hello everyone! I guess this is where I post. This is my 2nd day on Phase 1, my first try. So far so good. I am finding lots of recipes online so that helps me a lot. I usually get bored or don't know what I am supposed to eat when I start a new plan. I have the book and have found some good websites so I hope to keep cooking good meals like I have had the past 2 days.

Good luck to everyone!
justbeelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:52 PM   #9  

Day 2 of Phase 1 for me, round 2. I think I did well today, although I'm pretty hungry right now and not sure what to eat. Is pumpkin an approved phase 1 veggie? or would it be a starch? I just baked some leftover sugar-free pumpkin pie mix (I had it frozen from Thanksgiving - made from scratch!) and I'd like to have it for dessert.

dag921, for breakfast I like to make 2 egg frittatas with veggies. The quickest one I make is : Throw a handful of fresh spinach in a small skillet sprayed with cooking spray and heat until wilted, while thats happening whisk 2 eggs with another handful of mushrooms (I just break them up by hand). add the spinach to the egg mix, and pour the whole thing back in the skillet. While its cooking, lift the edges with spatula to let the eggs run under, then flip the whole thing over to cook the other side. some times i top with salsa, and another combo i like when i have more time is zuccini, cubed and sauted, with tomatoes and feta. if your making a bigger serving, or don't trust your flipping skills, preheat the broiler and stick it in there til the top is cooked, after the bottom is cooked.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #10  

If you look at the phase 2 food list http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141379 you will see that pumpkin is a starchy vegetable that can be added back in during phase 2. So it needs to wait.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:02 AM   #11  
SB Fan

S/C/G: 215/194/155

Height: 5'8.5

Default Day 6 is done!

Tomorrow I wake up to the start of week 2 on SB. I got on the scale this morning and I've lost approx. 4-5 pounds. (I'm not really sure of my starting weight) Can I expect the same weight loss amount this coming week? That would be awesome if I could. I have 50 pounds to lose...
jazzer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #12  

Default Coffee question

I have seen the sugar free syrups and wonder if anyone uses them in their coffee? I was big on flavored creamers, I always used the sugar-free but don't think they are Phase 1 friendly because of all the other fake stuff in them. I am adjusting to sweetener and milk but miss my flavored coffee! I am on day 3 of Phase 1.

thanks for any suggestions!
justbeelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #13  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Justbeelieve - the sugar free syrups are fine. A lot of us use them in many other things than just coffee...baked goods are my favorite.

The creamers, even sugar free, are not allowed on any phase of SB. A good substitute is milk and a sugar free syrup. It isn't quite as creamy, but definitely hits the spot and gives you a bit of dairy at the same time!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #14  

good morning everyone! This wednesday, my third day of P1, i have the feeling its going to be tough. btw, i did eat a tiny slice of the sf pumpkin pie last night. it was really satisfying when i was still hungry afterwards i had hummus and celery. i worry that i'm not eating enough, especially when i feel so hungry an hour or so after eating. but then i think that maybe being hungry is a good thing, a sign that i'm doing something right. I know my portions are correct, i just need to break the habit of snacking on bad things between meals. Water is always good for that. If i want to eat but it's not time, then a glass of water helps me feel full for a bit longer. anyway, i really wanted a bit of my son's blueberry waffles this morning, but instead i just stuck with my zucchini, feta and tomato fritatta, which was delicious and filling. I have to work tonight, and spend 8 hours hanging out with a food case full of fatty and delicious pastries. I know I can resist, but it almost feels exhasting to do so. wow, i've been rambling... hope you all have a productive wednesday!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:08 AM   #15  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hope you survived the pastry temptations, Barista. Perhaps you should check out your calories on fitday. You may not be eating enough.

Jazzer09, 4-5 pounds is a good loss for Week 1. Next week probably won't be that much but Phase I is the detox stage, rather than weightloss. Losing weight is a bonus.

Justbeelieve, try using evaporated skim milk in your coffee - it's creamy.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote