Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-06-2008, 08:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 291/see tckr/170

Height: 5'6

Default Help!! Where's my Butt??!!

Unfortunately one of my disadvantages in being overweight, is that I have no butt, and that makes my shape look even worse. All the volouptousness is in that good ol' gut of mine!!! Im hoping as i loose more weight and fat, and as the gut gets smaller that it would push some balance out and in the rear end.

Are there any exercises that you guys recomend for me to do as far as getting a booty.....im tired of my best friends calling me PANCAKE...!!! lol
Angela85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:04 AM   #2  
Workin' It

There is a good yoga video that I do from Comcast on Demand (also available for download from exercisetv.tv) that is called "Bun & Thigh' yoga in the title (he calls it "Hips, Buns & Thighs" in the actual video). I've been doing it for about six weeks and can definitely see some shape in the butt. I have no butt either, and lost what little I did have when I was losing weight, so any shape there was a big surprise!

Exercise-wise, I've been told lunges are good for the butt as well, but I don't know for sure.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

i do salsa every week and believe me it helps your butt! and your hips and your waist but you get my point. i'm not sure there's any specific exercises that will help but im sure that as you slim down then you will notice the difference.
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #4  
ennui

S/C/G: 135/130/110

Height: 5'7"

Default the butt mystery

Angela, I'll share my input seeing as though my favorite exercises are butt exercises, and it seems to be the only firm thing on my body. when I started these exercises I had a 35" bum measurment, now its 38" and all muscle

lunges are great just make sure when you do them you are doing them properly. and as you 'lift up' from the lunge kick out your back leg (like a standing donkey kick) I say to a set of 10 a day until you progress.

also there is the chair exercise where you stand with your feet about 2 ft aprat (side by side) and act as though you are sitting back into a chair and raise back up (about 5-10) for starters.

and check out some caperoiera (sp?) moves, it's the brazilian fighting dance, this might be a little more advanced, there are alot of different kicks, but even if you do it for only 10 mins you will feel it!

I've worked in an anatomy lab for 5 years, and let me tell you, there are so many people out there that say you cant 'build a butt' but if you ever see the muscles involved you know thats a joke! it's all muscle just waiting to be worked!

Good luck and let me know how it goes!
andthrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I hear you. Not all pears have big butts! Some of us just have a wide butt. But still on the flat side. Oh well.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Lunges and wide legged squats def work your butt. I can always feel it in my glutes the next day when I really work a set of lunges. Ditto the bit about the little back-kick as you come up. It makes it even more effective.

When you're squatting, at the lowest point, squeeze your butt hard and then begin your lift. That right there makes a huge difference as well. When I remember to do it consistently, I def. feel it in my butt the next day.

If you work out on the elliptical, set the ramp to medium-high and go backwards. That also gives your glutes a good workout. It should be like walking up a hill backwards kinda.

I can totally sympathise. Everyone in my family has a flat butt. Even my mom who was slender and had a great figure ... had no shape in back. So I'm hoping to develop a little something to keep my jeans filled out.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/169/150

Height: 5'5"

For butt-building, I recommend floor touches. Stand with weight on one leg, knee slightly bent, bend down from the waist as if you're picking something up, and straighten back up. You should feel all the work in your glute.

Jumping rope has also given me a butt, so recommend that as well.
hush hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for asking this question! I have never had a butt and my SO told me the other day that it was getting smaller. So I can attest to the no butts!! I do a lot of lunges and sumo squats. I hope they are going to help!!
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #9  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

I started doing hill walking this week and I definitely felt it in my buttocks. Feels like it's the downhill that really works the glutes, but of course, both up- and downhill are strengthening for the lower body.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

I just found this cool video on You Tube for hips, buns and thighs... they had a bunch from the same Play it Fitness...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 291/see tckr/170

Height: 5'6

thanks ladies all of ur advice it really great....now its my turn to actually use towards my routine.........i know its gonna hurt like ****, cuz believe me those booty muscles are no where to be found....lol
Angela85 is offline   Reply With Quote