Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:13 PM   #1  

Question HELP! What can a fat girl wear to a portrait?

This year, my boyfriend decided he wanted to have our portraits done for x-mas since none of his family have updated photos of him. He scheduled an appt for tommorow

What kind of styles can I wear that won't emphasize my fat face/double chin and that will slim my belly and bring out my bust?

He has a really nice sweater that is maroon in color that he's decided he wants to wear which totally doesn't match what i was planning. I do have something that matches it perfectly, but it is a baby doll style tee. Although it looks great in person, I am deathly afraid it will just add bulk on camera. Any ideas before I go shopping tommorow?
lovediet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #2  
FB

If you express your concerns to the photographer she/he has tricks up their sleeve regarding posing and lighting.

I would avoid turtlenecks, do a v-neck and simple, classic necklace to emphasize your bust. No patterns, solid colors. I'd avoid a babydoll tee like the plague, not only is it trendy (date your portraits quickly) they are unflattering. If you do go with it, remember not to squish your arms against your body - it makes them appear twice as large.

Maybe a solid sweater of a nice skimming, flowing fabric like cashmere? I don't like synthetic materials in photographs - too shiny. Try the sweater idea to match textures with him, it will pull your look together as couple better. Look for a drapey or v-neck neckline. Perhaps 3/4 sleeves. I think greys go well with maroon and look nice on everyone, but that's just me (a portrait photographer ).

ETA: This sweater from Victoria's Secret sort of match my description. Not exciting, classic style...

Another...

I like how they flow, rather than cling. The second one is great for emphasizing your bust and minimizing your middle.

It also depends on the nature of the portrait. Is it formal or casual? The best bet is to dress along the lines of your BF or make him dress along the lines of you - not matching outfits (oh, no ) but matching taste and style.

Last edited by FB; 12-05-2008 at 10:42 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #3  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

A light weight black sweater with nice, stylish jewelry ought to do it. Black has always been my answer to minimizing. Anything patterned or clingy usually doesn't do well. A nice neckline is always good, too. Dark pants are good and a becoming hair cut is a must. You could always have your makeup done, too. I find that I get in a rut with makeup (which I seldom wear) and keeping current with my changing age and face makes me look better in pictures. Good luck with your portrait. How wonderful that your boyfriend wants to commemorate your relationship with a portrait!

Sheri
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Ooohh..just say NO to the babydoll idea. Black slacks and neutral sweater --play up with a nice necklace and earrings...nice lipstick ..you will do great.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:15 PM   #5  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

ooh! I love that second sweater! I agree. Keep it simple. no turtlenecks!! no baby doll tee's. I like open necklines to draw the eye away from my less desirable areas. I have this top I got at target I LOVE the neckline. It hangs slightly lower at the neck on me. Obviously not that color if he is going with the burgundy though.

Last edited by Thin4Good; 12-05-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I like the grey sweater but black or maroon are much more slimming then grey. Short sleeves add weight so longer sleeves are better. How about black pants or a skirt with boots, a black longer button up sweater and maroon or another darker color underneath with a pretty necklace and earrings? You can wear slimming underwear underneath and a minimizer bra. Nice hair and makeup - my favorite makeup isBobbi Brown, you can go to her website and get ideas live (or read her books). Keep it natural but a bit more shimmer for the Holidays, a pop of color on the cheeks and a rasberry type of lipstick/gloss. Go for simple elegance, plain colors no patterns and nothing frilly. What's most slimming is simplicity.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Or you can wear a blazer, best at hiding the mid section...
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:46 PM   #8  
bow chicka wow wow

S/C/G: 240/183/135-140

Height: 5'7"

As for makeup, get some bronzer. I think just a bit of a tan makes anyone look slimmer not to mention it makes your teeth automatically whiter. And then if you like the color of your eyes, wear some shadow that makes them pop make sure you curl your eyelashes too, it makes them look bigger. If you like your lips instead, wear a nice color lipstick. Oh, and if your hands are showing (this is just my own personal thing) get your nails done. I think it looks prettier when girls have their nails done.
deathnotronic is offline   Reply With Quote