Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #1  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Default Leftover ideas for meatloaf?

Hey chicks,

Yesterday I made four turkey meatloaves. I froze two and cooked two. Today I have a little more than 3/4 of one left and I want to do something other than slice it and put it on a plate. Other than sandwiches...

any ideas?

TIA
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #2  
=D

Hrmmm...

Maybe you can chop one up into little strip-type pieces, then make a stir fry with some soy sauce, green beans..mushrooms etc?

Also, perhaps you can cut it up into small pieces and serve it cold in a caesar-salad type dish. Mmmm

Ummmm - even, cut it into 'fun' shapes (being creative here) and grill the shapes with some seasoning like oregano or pesto on top - you can call them turkey triangles.

Just some ideas

Last edited by mazza; 12-05-2008 at 03:58 PM.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #3  

Crumble or chop and add to your favorite tomato sauce to top pasta. I often do 1/2 whole wheat or high fiber pasta and half frenched green beans to lower the calories and still have nice volume.

Cube up and toss into broth with vegetables for a light soup. Add some canned garbanzos or a few noodles to make it heartier if you like.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love meatloaf.

I dice it for meatballs in sauce with spaghetti, or add into soups as tommy suggested.

I've put it in the bottom of a baking pan or pie pan and add cooked veggies (peas, carrots, green beans, broccoli, whatever) and top with mashed potatoes and a bit of cheese and broil for Shepherd's pie

I've mashed it up and stirred in barbecue sauce to make a sloppy joe sauce and served it on a baked potato.

Hubby likes it cut in small cubes and stirred into boxed mac and cheese

I've mashed it and stirred in taco seasonings and pinto, black, or refried beans - for tacos or taco salad.

I've mashed and stirred into eggs for scrambled eggs or used as an omellete filling.

It's a sandwhich - but not an ordinary sandwhich. I'll put swiss cheese and sometimes even sauteed onions and mushrooms with the meatloaf slices and then grill the sandwhich - sort of like a patty melt (haven't done that in a long while as it's not very health-conscious), or in the George Foreman grill like a panini.

Last edited by kaplods; 12-05-2008 at 05:47 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #5  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

these are GREAT ideas!! Thank you very much!

I'm not sure which direction I'll go with tonight but they will all get some play in my kitchen

chicks, you rock!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

I'll third the pasta and sauce suggestion. What is a meatloaf, anyway, except a whole bunch of meatballs pressed together into a loaf?

I use cubes of leftover meatloaf in pasta sauce as a lunch leftover all the time!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Make taco's with the meat
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote