Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #1  
Getting fit and healthy!

S/C/G: 200 / see ticker / 145

Height: 5'8"

Default Any other Asperger's/texture craver dieters?

I have high functioning autism and I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there trying to lose weight with the same difficulties I encounter.

Asperger's has presented some tough obstacles for me in terms of eating more healthfully. I have an array of sensitivities to various sensory inputs, and one of those is that I have a lot of difficulties when it comes to texture in my food. I crave crunchy foods on a neurological level, and while I can't really explain why fresh veggies are not the correct kind of crunchy. It's something about the feedback of having to chew a lot. Gum can help, sometimes lean meats, but it's quite a struggle to stay away from potato chips and hard pretzels. I also have a big problem eating soft or "slimey" seeming foods, especially when I am stressed.

Anyone else on the autistic spectrum? I could really use a buddy or two who understands where I'm coming from, who I can share experiences and advice with.
Betsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:18 AM   #2  

The only suggestion I can think of is a product called the potato chip. Its a microwaveable device that allows you to microwave veggies and potatoes and have healthy snacks. Maybe you can try veggies as chips? Also, I have used a cheap dehydrater with great results.

Last edited by jhack; 11-12-2008 at 12:19 AM. Reason: my horrid spelling.
jhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #3  
Slow and sure chick

My husband is an Aspie, so I hear you loud and clear.
Slimy is a bad texture for him and he loves Doritos.
I told him there's no real food in Doritos, but he keeps eating them.
He just loves crunchy foods.

Sometimes you can have healthy food if is prepared differently. Like dried fruit is great for the chewiness. Try dried apples. Dried bananas are very crunchy. Apricots are chewy, as is dried mango.
Watercolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

I'm an aspie, and I know what you mean about the texture thing. I love crunchy oatmeal cookies, toasted oatmeal bread, but if you try to feed me oatmeal porridge, I *will* throw up. Too slimy. I have to cut all fat off of meat too, not because it's bad for me, but because it it too weird. DH gets annoyed with me because I eat cheetos in a way that makes them sound crunchier.

I don't mind a lot of soft things, as long as they're not slimy, but it took me quite awhile to desensitise myself to them. Okra is still out!!

One thing I found that is wonderful for me is a food dehydrator. I can make veggies and fruits nice and chewy or crunchy, whatever I'm feeling like.

I also make 'chips' in the oven with root veggies of all kinds. Carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, celariac... Slice them thinly, brush a thin layer of olive oil on a baking sheet, and roast 15-20 minutes each side. They get pretty crunchy, but you have to be careful to watch them - they can also get pretty burned!

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #5  
Getting fit and healthy!

S/C/G: 200 / see ticker / 145

Finally checking back here after falling off the boards (and my diet) over the Winter... I have seasonal depression too.

So glad to see there are few other folks who know what I'm talking about. Some people look at me like I'm crazy when I try to explain it!

I forget when I found it, but the Roasted Chickpeas recipe http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31582 worked GREAT for my crunchy cravings. As did the farinata recipe on Kalyn's Kitchen. Chickpeas are my new best friends.

I think I'm going to ask for a dehydrator for my birthday - maybe I can make turkey jerky that's not loaded with sugar!
Betsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:58 AM   #6  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

I crave textures, and it's often different ones... not always crunchy sometimes it's gritty (for this I make cinnamon toast) or creamy. I don't just crave textures, if a food has an unexpected texture it completely freaks me out. Too mushy veggies, ew. Undercooked veggies especially like squash, ew. Mealy fruit, OMG EW. Gristly meat makes me gag, slimy oatmeal makes me gag, anything chewy that I don't think should be... makes me gag.

I also have a thing about mixing sweet and savory. It just completely squicks me out. If I get fruit with breakfast I have to eat the savory first then completely clean off my fork before eating the fruit. I got a little piece of bacon with a bite of fairly sweet blueberry pancake once and I nearly barfed. It's not just a preference it's an overwhelming bodily directive.
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsi View Post
Finally checking back here after falling off the boards (and my diet) over the Winter... I have seasonal depression too.

So glad to see there are few other folks who know what I'm talking about. Some people look at me like I'm crazy when I try to explain it!

I forget when I found it, but the Roasted Chickpeas recipe http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31582 worked GREAT for my crunchy cravings. As did the farinata recipe on Kalyn's Kitchen. Chickpeas are my new best friends.

I think I'm going to ask for a dehydrator for my birthday - maybe I can make turkey jerky that's not loaded with sugar!
OMG - thank you (THANK YOU!!!) for that link to the chick pea recipe! It is sooo tasty! and crunchy...

I hope the birthday fairy brings you a food dehydrator. I make beef jerky all the time in mine and I love it. I marinate the meat in a tomato paste/spice mixture and it's sugar-free (and as long as you eat reasonable quantities, not particularly high calorie).

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote