Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #1  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

Default What was I thinking?? -vent-

Yesterday DH said "So how much do you weigh now anyway?" - I told him. I have never told him before and we started dating over 11 years ago! Well, he was just shocked. He said that he thought I was around 140 (because apparently that is not thin in his mind) - then he started adding up how much I have lost and looked at me with the most astonished expression. "That means you weighed....." - I said "YES! I weight 210! That is why I started South Beach!" - Well, he just can' believe it. He said he must really love me because he never noticed I was "that big". I told him that maybe his perception of what people weigh is off. I also said that I think that the "number on the scale" is pretty arbitrary since it doesn't seem to be a good indicator of a person's size, just based on what I see here. So who cares anyway?

I have not weighed less than 150 since I have been fully grown. My lowest weight that I know of (at 15) was 155. When I met DH I weighed around 165-170. At 155 I wore medium tops and size 10 pants (which I understand were smaller than size 10 now??)

Anyway-

now he keeps bringing it up. He just can't believe it and is going on and on about it. I want to slap him.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Does the man have a death wish, bringing it up?

I'm all for couples having honesty and answering questions honestly, and I believe that at a certain point, our "start" numbers carry a bit of pride...like, YES, I was near 300 lbs (in my case), and look where I am now! But if you're not comfortable, just tell him! Something like "I know it was surprising to you how much I weighed, but I'd really prefer you stop bringing it up".
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I kinda think that might prove what you're saying about the number on the scale being arbitrary. He obviously thought you were just fine by him.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6.5

It's just his way of showing how proud he is of you. Guys are typically dumb!
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #5  

men have a thing with consistantly putting their foot in their mouths. lol...everyone looks differently at different weights...he must thing 210 sounds ginormous or something in his mind..but you were their and he thought you were 140 lol...thats laughable because what does that mean you were at your smallest when you knew him?? 80 , 90, 100 lbs?? Men are crazy , just shake it off. Im sure he doesnt even realize what hes doing or how it might effect you.
calimodel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #6  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

My husband thought I was about 125-130. Hahahah I haven't weighed that since grade seven. I think I'm much bigger than I am and he thinks I'm much smaller. What a delusional pair we are.
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I've posted this before - my guy had to describe me to someone a while back and described me as 5'4" and 120 lbs.

We have discussed how much I weigh and how much I've lost - he's really proud of what I've lost - but he just has NO concept and no memory of me at my heaviest.

And what's funny is that when we're in a discussion of "hot" actresses or models or whatever, he'll mention someone he thinks it hot and I'll giggle to myself thinking that if he thinks *I* weigh 120, then what on earth does he think Reese Witherspoon weighs? You know?

Guys are just clueless sometimes.

Next time he brings it up, tell him very gently something like "Sweetie, it makes me happy that you're proud of me, but constantly bringing up how much I used to weigh kinda makes me feel bad."

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 235.2/231.6/140

Height: 5'7

Default ****hug****

I think everyone is hitting the nail on the head: men and women are wired differently, and Lord knows we are socialized about weight, concept of weight, discussion of weight, perception of weight (blah, blahblah, blah blah) in VERY different *ahem* ways.
I'm new here and dont know anything about your history with DH, but it kindof sounds like he's irritating you with his comments- nails on a chalkboard, kind of. And *this is the therapist in me* the whole "i must really have loved you..didnt know you were that big"- has he said things like that before? How did that make you feel? Did it conjure up bad past experiences with him? The reason i'm asking is that the initial *let-me-slap-the-testosterone-out-of-your-body* experience that I'm getting from you may be just a symptom of a deeper issue. If it is, it may be a feeling of conditional love or rejection that often accompanies people who have struggles or dealt with body issues. Or, its not that deep, and he's just a guy who likes the taste of his toes (Well said, Calimodel1). If the latter is the case, ask him if he knows what that makes you think about him (guys dont always get feelings. But if it makes you THINK that he's an a**, well.....). Your feelings and thoughts deserve to be heard in your relationship. You matter. Period.
sorry this was so long. Hope it all works out.
Verstehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #9  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

Thanks guys. I think you are right. They are just clueless sometimes...

He definitely has a habit of sticking his foot in his mouth!
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Tell him the subject is closed, it bothers you. Then remind him if necessary.

Sometimes I am comfortable telling my husband my weight. Other times I'm not. Our rule is that it is "my" subject to open or not.

I once told him that our home/relationship needs to be a safe zone for each of us. No pushing buttons. No deliberately hitting the hot spots.

Works for us.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #11  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Men have no concept of weight. Probably because they don't obsess about it and analyze it their entire lives. So, guess we can't fault them for that. My dad thought I weighed 95lbs when I was more like 135lbs. Some old guy wanted to pick me up (weird, I know) and I had to explain to him that I weigh MUCH more than he thought. My husband on the other hand, I think he gets it now. He didn't before but I've told him my weight enough now that he sorta can see the difference. I prefer not to even talk to him about it because despite knowing about how much I weigh, he still gets confused. I hate having to tell him how much it really is. This week he was shocked when I said he weighs 60lbs more than I do. He's silly.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

it is true what they say, Love Is Blind.

I cant decide If i should tell my DH how much I weigh or not. I thought about, maybe for an accountability or reality check but I don't know if I want to see his reaction.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

My own feeling is that it's best to leave spouses, significant others, family, friends, and so forth, out of one's weight loss efforts. The only exception would be a weight-loss buddy, and even then there can be problems.

The reason is just what this thread talks about--reactions that are different from what you expect, plus suddenly having an "audience" watching your every bite, outfit choice, etc. And of course, the questions and comments...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #14  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin4Good View Post

now he keeps bringing it up. He just can't believe it and is going on and on about it. I want to slap him.
maybe a slap would be ok
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 AM   #15  
Sarah

S/C/G: SW:197.8/GW:145

Height: 5'8"

This is a little off topic but I have this problem with almost anyone I tell my weight to. It is like people do not understand that I am tall and, thus, naturally weigh more than they do. I remember when I was my fittest and told a friend of mine who is mayb 5'2" that I weighed 150. She would not believe it and kept bringing it up. I am half a foot taller than her and she couldn't understand why I would weigh 30 pounds more than her?
asparagus4sale is offline   Reply With Quote