Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #1  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Default I'm looking forward to not sweating

Today I got a Christmas tree. I wasn't sure if I was going to get one, but I passed by a great sale and decided to go for it. Then I tried to put it up. I was working on it outside and couldn't get it stop leaning one way or the other. My neighbor came over to help, and it was fairly upright. Once I got it inside, though, it started to lean again. There I was, trying to balance this leaning tree while adjusting the screws below, sweat dripping off of me and into my eyes. I'd worn a sweater because it was so cold today, but I ended up stripping it off and wrestling with the tree in my bra, I was so hot from the exersion and the frustration. It's kind of funny, looking back on it.

I'm looking forward to being in much better shape next year, so I'll be physically more able to tackle the tree, even if I'm still frustrated. When I'm tempted to eat too much of the good stuff or not exercise, I'll remember this moment.

OK, your turn. What is a specific vision you have of yourself to help get you though the holiday danger zone?
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

On January 9th, I'm going out to dinner with a couple we haven't seen in about six months (Since before my weight loss). The wife is always so thin and put together...she is actually really great, funny and down-to-earth, but I have secretly felt a little like the "fat" friend when I'm around her. I keep imagining being slim and lovely as I glide into dinner...AWFUL, hunh? Very, very shallow...but it gets me through, and I'm not eating the fudge.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Ya know ... sometimes it's the superficial stuff that keeps us going.

There's a big convention in NYC next October and there are some people there who haven't seen me since before I started losing weight. There is some bad blood between us and I am really REALLY looking forward to "running into" them at the convention next year, all fit and trim and looking like $10 million.

It's a big motivator.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

Hooray for shallow motivators! I have a class reunion next summer in Washington DC, and that also helps...

Not that I'm knocking how strong and wonderful I feel all the time...that, alone, would be worth it. I used to take a Tylenol at least once a week for a head-ache, or sore muscle, or whatever...haven't taken one in I don't even remember how long.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #5  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

I'd love to go to DH's plant Christmas party next year in a little black dress-I've never owned one and always had to go to these parties in black jeans and a top that looks like a tent I also have my 30 year class reunion in 2010 and would loooooove to go to it thin-I was fat in high school and have never gone to a reunion (because we live so far away). Probably count as shallow reasons, but they're just 2 of my non-scale goals.

Last edited by ronni62; 12-02-2008 at 08:15 AM.
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #6  
Workin' It

My 20 year reunion is 2010, don't think I'm not looking forward to being in great shape for that! Also, DH's 20 year is next summer - some friends who stopped associating with him when DH left his ex-wife (even though they had been his friends for 15 years, what is up with that!!) are going to be there, as will my ex (they were all high school friends, how Springer is that...). I'm really looking forward to looking better than all of their wives! Petty, I know...

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 12-02-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #7  

S/C/G: oh **** no!/on my way/157

Height: 5'9"

OK, count me among the shallow.

When I was first married I had this black leather skirt (not slutty, just nice ) that I looked fabulous in. My oldest friend in the world-who I love dearly but has never had to lose 1 ounce of weight ever, EVER-made some comment about fitting into it after 10 years.

OK, so 10 years later I couldn't fit in it. And 15 years later I definitely couldn't fit in it. BUT, 20 years will be in February and I AM going to fit in it. (It is probably marked as a size 10 but who knows what size that is now.) So, that-plus we are going to see some really good friends at the end of February that I will not have seen since I was my heaviest-is going to get me through the holidays and past the cookies, and the cakes, and the peppermint bark, and the......
urockmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I gotta tell you. First and foremost, without a doubt, I started this little venture of mine for health reasons. I was really terrified about being struck down with some totally avoidable disease. I was also fearful about not being around for my kids.

But somewhere during the course of the journey - it also became about vanity. Weird. All right, maybe not so weird. But it IS a motivator. I LOVE bumping into people who I haven't seen in awhile. It's been a while now, so there's not too many people who havent' seen me. But there are a few who I am aching to be seen by. I just know they will be floored!

Schumeany, I know just what you mean about "gliding into dinner". I have SUCH confidence now when I socialize. I was always so paranoid about how I looked and how I dressed and how much SPACE I was taking up. Not anymore. I am dressed better then anyone I know. FUN! And, quite frankly, being 5 feet tall, I am quite, dare I say tiny and I know for sure I'm not taking up more then my fair share of space. I love slinking through tight spaces. That used to be a horror for me. Not anymore. I could squeeze through anywhere that anyone else can.

I too practically lived on ibuprofen - not anymore and it IS fabulous. But sheeseh, it's pretty darn fabulous feeling confident and just well, "average". Not being a standout. And slinking around. Haha. I *slink*. Who wouldv'e thunk it?

When "they" say that nothing tastes as good as being thin feels - believe them. Believe them. I remind myself of this often. And will continue to do so as it keeps me in check. Though - I do forget it sometimes.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am so glad I am not the only one that finds shallow things somewhat motivating--okay, sometimes LOTS motivating. I got Christmas cards done this past weekend. I used a family photo that was taken two weeks ago--usually I just send Christmas photos of the kids. The people in my life that made things more difficult than need be before--well, I am loving it. All they had over me before was the way they looked. What do those have now. NUTTIN'!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

OMG...a hundred times DITTO on Ibuprofen. I went through a bottle a month before. Now, it just sloshes around in my purse.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Ibuprofen and Rolaids. Seriously. I could have bought stock.

Now, not so much. Except when I put too much weight on the squat bar and wind up walking down the stairs sideways because my thighs hurt. But that's a much better use for ibuprofen.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I used to live on Ibuprofen and also Pepto. I thought I'd be plagued for years with stomach 'issues' but after cleaning up my diet, my stomach issues went away. After becoming more active and losing some weight, the need for ibuprofen went away as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #13  
Workin' It

I also drank Pepto and Mylanta like water for several years, often using it to wash down the Alleve or Advil... A better diet has virtually eliminated the need for the stomach medicines, and I have only had a couple of headaches in the last several months that were all related to colds or allergies. I always maxed out my flex spending account on OTC meds, now I don't even miss the fact that new job doesn't have flex spending.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 12-02-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh yes. The Rolaids. How could I've forgotten those? I used to have them right next to me in my night table. I took them every single day - without fail. Oy.

And I don't even keep ibuprofen in my purse anymore.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #15  
No description available.

I'm all over the shallow reasons.

I push a sled at the gym that has a ridiculous amount of weight stacked on it and my mantra as I push is "size 8 Levis, size 8 Levis".

My IBS symptoms are GONE. Who woulda thunk?

And, yeah, my 20 year hs reunion will be 2011. I'm secretly planning ahead. I wasn't overweight in high school but I wasn't in shape either. I wanna walk in with muscles like Linda Hamilton in the Terminator movies! Boom. Heck yeah I'm a mama of 4!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote