Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #1  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Default PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ December's Thread

WELCOME EVERYONE ~ Please join us in our thread: to give support and encouragement; to share ideas, and/or just chat with one another about everyday issues ...

This special thread is for anyone with any kind of physical obstacle and/or challenge like SB, CP, MS, MD, PK, Lupus, Osteo, Arthritis, Rheumatism, or any other condition (s), whether genetic or acquired (like injuries), that causes some physical limitations and/or difficulties.

HAPPY DECEMBER EVERYONE

ROSEBUD
Old 12-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

And a great Good Morning to all . . .

Let's hope that December is a great month for all of us -- unfortunmately mine is not off to a good start -- looking at the second day of my morning blood sugar running a little too high and it is raining to beat the band again and that always makes the arthritis act up even though it is mild. Anyway, those two delightful little events "forced" me to eat chocolate for breakfast.

Other than that, same stuff different day (SSDD) . . . see you later . . .
Old 12-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #3  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ pretty quiet around here the last couple of days. We had another snow storm today with frosty cold northeast winds; and we went out to put up some 'penny' lights and you just froze your skin so fast it was really bad. The lights are a bit jagged, so I'll have to go straighten them up on a warmer day; too horrible and cold out to do anything with them tonight.

THANKS MEOWEE ~ for coming in and putting our December thread up into a red sticky for us; very appreciated. Sorry to hear that your sugars are too high right now, but hopefully you can get them managed again soon. You are pretty lucky to just get rain right now, but I know that when the snow shows up there, you can get some pretty doozy storms too!

We had a pretty good day; did a bit more sorting and planning out ideas for our decorations. Took a nap this aft to rest my poor tired feet; I bought some new cushy slippers that seem to be helping my feet a bit. They have soft fur inside and help to keep my feet warm. There are many things we like about our new place, but nowhere is perfect; and that is one of the flaws here: the floors are cold, so I had to get some warmer slippers with heels to protect my feet. I have enuff problems with them as it is.

HI PURPLE ~ hope you are feeling OK.
HELLO to NUMPSTER and VAL too ~ hope you both have a great week.

Not much to report tonight; just resting a bit. Take good care ladies, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #4  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hello Ladies

Just to let you know what is going off in my neck of the woods so to speak. With Christmas fast approaching we are having several deliveries to do. Done two this week already one more tomorrow. Mind you the delivery today was on our way home from the MS therapy centre so a local delivery.

Still not feeling 100% I must admit not sure what is going on but I think I will end up going to the doctor to get to the bottom of this. I have abdominal pain and pain in my back. So not sure if I have a UTI or urine infection in English MSers can be prone to this for some reason touch wood I have been fortunate in that area unlike some I know.

I will try to pop by as much as I can but time is a bit thin on the ground at the minute. I do try and read your posts before I retire to bed even if I do not have enough time to post. I am hoping next week will be a bit better. I have a lot of Xmas whist drives next week. Though our Christmas dinner with the MS centre is this Friday at 3pm.

I can not believe it is December already where did this year go to. Today I woke up to a good covering of snow at about 7am though by 9am it had started to clear. By the time we came home from the MS centre it had disappeared all together.

Just finished our lunch as I cook in the evening on a Tuesday to make life easier for me with having treatment. Had beef with steamed vegetables and potatoes. Then a framage frais with a raspberry compote at the bottom. Nice to round off the meal I must say.

Time to go again and wash a few pots up then get bits and pieces ready for tomorrow going to Bristol which is down south and approximately 150miles away. It is to a cinema whom have had previous orders from the company all over the country.

Bye bye

purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 12-02-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #5  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ our day started out pretty nice; calm and even a bit of sunshine for awhile, but then some clouds and fierce winds came through and ... BABY, IT'S COLD OUT THERE!!!

We got a lot accomplished today; I started wearing my new cozy slippers and they are really helping my feet a lot. They are very warm and have good support soles on them, which is just what I needed. We got several boxes sorted through and tossed two bags of stuff just today. We have our tree up now, but just have to decorate it tomorrow; and all the livingroom was rearranged too ... yeah!!!

With all this storming about out there, we will probably have to keep the outside decos to a minimum this year; but that will give us lots of time to plan for next year. Two of my big, red bows got blown down, so DH went out and rescued them; will have to find a better way to secure them in the morning.

HI PURPLE ~ glad you dropped in long enuff to let us know how you are; sorry to hear that you are having some pain in your abdomen. I had some tiny jabs on my lower right side for a couple of days, but now it has gone away completely; probably just gas or something like that. You know the first thing that comes to mind is appendix, but more likely the other; or so we prefer, for sure; so very glad it's gone now.

Hope your doctor gets to the bottom of your pains soon; will send up some prayers for you too becuz you really don't need anything else on your plate. Glad your trips went OK; I thought maybe you two had been off on some more deliveries, esp with Christmas so close.

WOWEE, you had snow over there; too bad it didn't stick around for awhile longer, but at least you got to see some for a bit. Maybe you'll get some more for Christmas yet; that would be nice as long as it isn't too much.

HELLO to NUMPSTER and VAL ~ hope you two are having a good work week; tomorrow makes it more than half over, right? That's how I used to look at it when I worked before. My favorite jobs were only four days; but the ones that were five, I would break up like this:

Monday is the fresh, first day (keep really busy to make it go fast); Tuesday is almost half way; Wednesday is well over half; Thursday is almost done; and Friday is YEAH Day (meaning last day); hence TGIF!!!

HI MEOWEE ~ hope you have a good weather day and a good sugar day tomorrow. Any snow yet?

Well, DH had his battered fish and I had baked breaded chicken nuggets with lots of salad and veggies for dinner tonight. I had PURPLE's homemade Banana-Chocolate Ice Cream for dessert. Love that one ...

Take good care ladies, your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 12-02-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #6  
Onward and Downward

Hi . . .

Our weather is still unseasonably mild and we are supposed to see sun but I can't find it yet. Nothing exciting around here -- want to get the wrapping done today so I can take things to the post office tomorrow. After that, I'll be spending my time trying to overcome the almost all consuming urge to bake, bake, bake that hits me every year at this time. Wouldn't be too bad if it didn't also come with the almost irresistible urge to eat, eat, eat.

Have a great day, gang . . .
Old 12-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #7  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we had another snow day with blowing winds; winter is sure making her presence known now. DH did some running around and I just stayed here and hybernated. Did some more sorting and rearranging of decos today. Make a nice, creamy pasta dish for dinner; had a romaine salad with mine.

Boy, I am really gonna have to watch the munching this month; I think I am gonna wait to just before Christmas to pick up any ready snacks this year. I made some bran muffins for DH and I today to have with our afternoon tea.

I heard from NUMPSTER last night; they had a death in their family on the weekend; and they had to put down their 19+ yr/old kitty buddy yesterday as he was having seizures. As a result, they will be hosting the family Christmas Dinner with a family who is in mourning for a loved one: what a challenge for them. She said she may drop by on the weekend, if she has time. She has some quick planning to do, but I'm sure that family and friends will pitch in and help them out too.

HI MEOWEE ~ boy, you are blessed with very mild weather right now. Is this normal for your area or something new and strange? I don't do the 'BAKING' thing any more; I always ended up with piles leftover and then would have to eat it, of course, so it wasn't wasted. So, I stopped that bad habit a few years ago; now we just pick up a variety of nuts, and some cereal bits & bites for our guests, which they really like.

We are having friends here for Christmas Day this year; so I am making the Christmas dinner. Gonna have a couple of kinds of pie for dessert; roasted veggies with our meat (haven't decided yet, but we have a turkey and a roast beef) plus a salad and mash potatoes with gravy: naughty, but nice!!! Well, that's the point of this joyous season ... to enjoy the blessings we have been given and that includes good food.

HI to PURPLE and VALDINE ~ hope you both had a lovely day!!!

Time to go make my evening tea; take good care ladies, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 12-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #8  
Onward and Downward

Hi there . . .

Another mild day in northeastern Nova Scotia -- but it is very, very windy. We do tend to have a slightly 'softer' climate than some of the places I've lived in Ontario (Toronto, Kitchener, Barrie). We get slightly milder winters and slightly less humid summers. This is, however, an extremely warm one so far.

Decided to buy myself a treat the other day -- a can of French Vanilla flavoured coffee -- brewed some up this morning and it smelled magnificent both in the can and in the pot -- but, guess I'm just a boring coffee drinker because I didn't like the taste of it at all.

Nothing else too exciting for me . . . hope you all have a great day.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #9  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ oh, we had a lovely, sunny day today ... all day; it was glorious! The first one we've had in ages, so we opened the blinds wide open to drench ourselves in all that beautiful sun. I even saw the stars tonight and a bit of the moon as well.

We got a lot of stuff sorted today; I sorted out the last of the clothes while DH ran errands today and visited his sister. Then later, we went through all our records and are donating 3 boxes of duplicates (meaning we have the same music on tape or cd's); and some we just don't listen to anymore, so might as well let someone else enjoy them.

We finally finished around 8 pm; so told DH that's enuff for one day! I had to watch him cuz he kept going through the boxes over and over, and taking some back out: he's such a hoarder! Today, while he was gone, I was able to toss two bags of old clothes; and I had a ball doin' it too!

We finally got our lights on our tree this afternoon; and my bows back up on our deck. We have three of our large decos on the deck; we are just waiting for one that I ordered that will be here in a few days. We didn't like the penny lights where we had them, so we may try them somewhere else.

Since this is a new place, we are having to do a lot of trial and error decorating to see what looks OK from the street. Poor DH gets annoyed by that, but I have made it all so easy this year, that he was happy anyways and couldn't complain; and actually told me he was glad of the changes to simplify everything this year. I don't want the enjoyment taken out of the season with the decos taking days to put up; so I try to do as much as I can myself, and leave the really ez stuff to DH now.

HI MEOWEE ~ I really like Mocha coffee; you can buy it or make it yourself -- two ways. You can make your regular coffee and add a bit of cocoa powder to it; OR you can make a packet of Swiss Hot Chocolate and add a bit of instant coffee to it for only 110 C's. You may want to buy the low-sugar one though ... and I like them both!

HI PURPLE ~ hope your feeling better and the doc gets to the bottom of those abdomenal pains for you; and I am sending up prayers that it isn't anything too serious. Hope you have lots of fun at your whist drives and good delivery trips too.

HI to NUMPSTER and VAL ~ TGIF near the end of the week for both you ladies; hope you have a wonderful Friday!

Well, that's all for me tonight; time to go put my tired feet up and rest a while, so take good care ladies ~ your friend ROSEBUD
Old 12-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #10  
Rosebud

HELLO LADIES ~ we had a great day today; went shopping and ran errands and got in some walking, without aches for a change ... yeah!

Will be back to share more tomorrow, as it's getting late now. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend ~ your friend ROSEBUD
Old 12-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #11  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Just returned from the monthly farmers market. Very nice out with brilliant sunshine though a bit nippy. Bought bread, no added sugar wholemeal scones and homemade apple and blackberry jam

Got another delivery trip to Bristol again to deliver more bean bags to a cinema there. Fortunately it should be our only delivery this week so I breath a sigh of relief Travelling is tiring I must say.

It is nice to have a little time to come on a read posts and generally catch up. But most of all it is great to be able to write here on the site. I really miss that but time is very short on the ground recently.

Yesterday went out for a meal with the ms therapy centre. I tried to select items that were not too bad. I allowed myself one treat for the day I had Christmas pudding and brandy sauce. I reduced my calories for the day in order to minimise my naughty treat I started with melon. Then had breast of roast turkey, with steamed vegetables. I only had one potato has I had lots of vegetable to fill me up. I am pleased with my selection considering I would not have gone down that route before I would have eaten so much more and put lots of potatoes on not so much vegetable either. So my habits have changed and I am so much more mindful what goes in my mouth. I realise my choices do have consequences which I never thought about before.

I am with you Meowee when it comes to enjoying just plain coffee. I once tried vanilla coffee oh my I hated it. I just like coffee black and strong. Though now I drink decaff due to my face which can be triggered by a stimulant such as caffeine.

Oh boy must go and wash up as the washing up fairy hasn't arrived to do the dishes Just go a few to tackle from lunch so nothing really bad just psyching myself to do them thats the trouble. Well enough of making excuses for not doing them. Catch up with you soon.

purpleorc
Old 12-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #12  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we went up town today to do the last of our Christmas shopping for family and friends; got some really good deals today. Now I can get our gifts for my Dad and SM wrapped up and on it's way. Gee, I'm so very late this year; gotta work on my Christmas Cards too and get them out as well.

Our last outdoor ornament arrived, and we put him up today; now we were able to put our lights on outside. I decorated the tree this afternoon as well; so we are starting to get things in order. Now we just have to put up some indoor decos over the next week.

HI PURPLE ~ glad you are feeling better; hope those pains have left. I have been so blessed; my feet and legs held out for two trips up town in a row, but they are tired right now; and my knee just pulled once after all that walking I did today. Some friends and others have been praying hard for my legs; they are being answered becuz they have improved so much that it is amazing. I just have to be careful and not overdo it, then reinjure them again and again.

You did very well at your MS center Christmas dinner; I am doing fairly well with dinners, I have to watch my snacking more. I am a bit of a tea toter I guess; and I do like hot chocolate on a cold night, as I only have one or two coffees each day or it bothers me for some reason. I like our TIM HORTON's coffee a lot and DH usually buys me some tins each Christmas.

HI TO MEOWEE, NUMPSTER, AND VAL ~ hope all you ladies are having a great weekend. It's is very cold here tonight and the winds are becoming wicked, with lots of snow blowing. Our fingies were freezing in only seconds out there tonight; glad everything is done, so now we can hybernate.

Well, we are late having dinner tonight ~ gotta go check on it, so take good care of yourselves ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 12-06-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:11 AM   #13  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

I woke up to a very picturesque scene this morning we had had a haws frost. So everything was completely whited over, looks very pretty but oh boy it is cold. Oh well you can not have it both ways

ROSEBUDYes so far the abdominal pain seems to have gone so thanks to your prays. I have been drinking enough water to sink a battle ship. So if it was a UTI it would flush it out of my system. Also to not have antibiotics if possible not keen on going for those unless I have to. This is because I have a compromised immune system so I like to use antibiotics sparingly so if I do get something serious god forbid my body has not because use to the spectrum of antibiotics.

So glad prays have worked for your legs and you have been able to adventure into town for two trips. Yes we always have to be mindful that we do not do too much and end up being compromised for days.

I have only heard of Tim Horton in the capacity of things like doughnuts as at our big local hospital they were on sale there. Though I have not heard of them in the capacity of coffee. Apart from independent little coffee shops our big seller of coffee is Starbucks. I really like this coffee but it is mega expensive so it is reserved for a special treat like my birthday or DH.

I am a coffee drinker through and through. I have to fancy a cup of tea which will be once in a blue moon. I drink both tea and coffee black no sugar. I have done since I was a young teenager. I can drink coffee with milk in but tea I can not stomach with milk in. You sound like a Brit we are a nation of tea drinkers. Though the younger generation are breaking that trend a bit.

I have a hot chocolate at night every night. Though I have cadbury's light variety at 40 calories per cup. The only trouble is the chocolate is a bit on the pricey side. We have tried others but not liked them so false economy.

Time to start on Sunday dinner. Though everything is prepared just need putting on and gravy making from the stock. We have lamb today can not remember the last time we had that. Found this piece and it was very lean so choose it.

Take care ladies, Hello MEOWEE, NUMPSTER, AND VAL till next time. Not sure whether I will have the time the next couple of days but I will endeavour to do so if at all possible. I need my daily fix of 3fc

purpleorc
Old 12-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #14  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we woke up to -25C temps this morning but we had beautiful sunshine all day that warmed things up for us. Right now, it has dropped back down to -21C; that is nippy cold, but the howling winds we had last night are gone, thankfully!

PURPLE ~ your weather sounds like it is colder over there this year also. I will have to look for that Cadbury's light hot chocolate in our local market and see if I can find it, as I'd love to have a cup of that every night myself.

I'm so glad that your pains are gone: I really believe in the power of prayer and have seen hundreds, if not thousands of them answered in my lifetime for family, friends, our pets, co-workers, many associates, and ourselves over the many years. Regarding associates: these are anybody who asks for prayers, or that I notice need prayers, and also people from prayer clubs that I belong to, who request prayers. I belong to five prayer groups/clubs at present and we pray for others and each other as well; I really enjoy it, and have met many people through this as well.

TIM HORTON is a Canadian NHL hockey player who died in a car crash on the way home from a game one night. Tim wanted to start another business to fall back on when his hockey career ended as he had a wife and family to support; so he and another man created a coffee/donut shop here in Canada called TIM HORTONS (as it was his idea). After he died, his partner bought the existing restaurants from Tim's family, and it has grown to be a very large and popular franchise, with some in the US and other countries now.

I hope you have a good week; and I agree, I love coming here to and miss it if I don't get to come in and read or post. I enjoy talking to the people here about all kinds of things; and we have a Christian group here where we prayer for others who have needs as well.

HI TO MEOWEE, NUMPSTER, AND VAL ~
hope you all had a great and restful weekend; and are not too bushed from shopping and such. Take good care, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 12-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #15  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies and good evening

Been to Bristol an back some 300miles or there about. Very tiring I must say though the van journey was great no hold ups on the road.

Tomorrow is my treatment day gosh it comes around quick I do say. I know over the Christmas period it is closed for 2 weeks and so I know I will be ready for my treatment after that.

ROSEBUD I never knew the history of Tim Horton's so it was good to here where the name came from. Such a shame that the hockey player lost his life in a car accident.

Yes our weather as got colder. They are thinking for the first time in 25 years we might actually have snow at Christmas. We very seldom have a white Christmas as it is not usually to have much heavy snow fall. Although some places just recently just had 6 inches. We were not one of them fortunately.

There are many things in life that can not be explained how or why they work but they do. God moves in mysterious ways as they say. I am sure that you gain great comfort from the pray groups that you attend. It is even nicer when the prays you said had a positive outcome for those who you have said prayers for.

HI TO MEOWEE, NUMPSTER, AND VAL Hope I find you all in good health and had a great weekend. How are you doing with the Christmas shopping? Have you finished it all yet? I have 2 more presents to get and post some cards and I think that is me do. Oh of course I will have the food to get nearer the date but that might be the 22 of December I think as we are going out for a meal with my BIL works.

bye ladies take care

purpleorc

Closed Thread