Old 11-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 2005/205/133

Height: 5'6

Default A few questions...

Hi there. Starting Atkins today, 29/11/08. I have ANDR at home, but I am away at the moment so will not have it for reference for a couple of weeks.

Basically just wondering if things like hotdogs are ok to eat? I realize anything with carbs needs to be counted into your 20g carb limit, but basically just wondering if these processed meats are ok to eat in moderation? I shall be eating things like sausages, bacon, hot dogs-are these all ok?

Also, I have read conflicting things about whether balsamic vinegar is ok, is it? I have full fat Hellmans mayo, is that an acceptable mayo to have?

Thanks for any help! Appreciate it. Really want to get this right and lose as much weight possible in the 18 days I have before I go home. Be as good as possible when I get home, counting all the parties etc, and get really back on track after NYE. Also, can anyone recommend a good low carb cook book? I'm going to try to get my Mom on this bandwagon, so would like to have a nice cookbook to tempt her with! Thanks a mil!
flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:40 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

to Atkins!

Ok, to answer your questions...things like hot dogs, sausage & bacon are all processed foods. They can contain sugar, excessive salt & nitrates, all of which should be avoided. My suggestion is to read labels on these types of things and try to avoid these ingredients where ever possible. Sugar on Atkins is a big no-no. Excessive salt may cause you to retain water. Nitrates are a carcinogen and aren't healthy for anyone. Keep all this in mind when shopping for items such as hot dogs, sausage & bacon.

Balsamic vinegar contains sugar, 1 Tablespoon contains 2.3 carbs. Dr. Atkins recommends salad dressing should contain 2 carbs or less per 2 Tablespoon serving and again, remember sugar is a no-no.

Full-fat Hellmann's mayo is fine

Some of the best low carb, Atkins friendly recipes can be found at: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
Induction friendly recipes are marked with an *

You CAN do this!!

All the best to you!!!

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #3  

Hi JerseyGryl! Thanks for your welcome and your reply. So you don't eat bacon or sausages? That sounded like such a delicious breakfast option with eggs! Are there any kind of makes of these available in the US that are ok? I don't really cook very much...can you recommend any other quick meat-ish options?? Thanks for all the help!
Old 11-30-2008, 07:54 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
So you don't eat bacon or sausages?
I'll admit I don't eat a lot of bacon but, I do eat breakfast sausage. I've found Jimmy Dean contains less than 2% sugar...which is the best I've been able to find in the supermarket.

I know you say you don't cook very much...but...I personally think you will find Atkins much easier to do if you cook. The sausage cheese muffins from that website I told you about make a wonderful breakfast: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/sausage...e_muffins.html
They're easy to make and since the recipe makes 18 muffins, you can mix up a batch & freeze them and use as needed. There are lots of delicious quiche recipes on that site as well
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #5  

Thanks for the info JerseyGyrl. I think I will start cooking, thanks a mil for the recipe site! Good luck x
Old 11-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

Height: 5'5"

Gosh Kim, those muffins look delish! I think I'll buy the ingredients today and make them. I was just saying to my partner yesterday that I need to come up with a couple new recipes to relieve boredom.

Thanks for sharing!
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #7  

Default A couple more questions...

Hi all! Hope you're all doing great. I am on day three of Atkins, and feeling good. Think I'm going into ketosis, judging by my breath anyways. On that note, can anyone tell me what kind of breath fresheners we are allowed on induction? I've hear parsley is good...but just wondering more about gum in particular. Are we allowed sugar free gum? Or those clear strips, are we allowed those? I think my breath is ok, for now anyways, but it's only going to get worse and I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Also, just wondering have people have found whipped cream that is 0% carbs? Mine is 1% but I've never heard people mention counting carbs when talking about whipped cream. Also my sugar free jelly is 1% carbs, and there are four servings per packet, so could I do better or is everyones the same? My local supermarket isn't very good for low carb options, can anyone recommend a US chain that is?

I am really missing my morning coffee...I only have one cup per day, does anyone have any views on whether this is ok? The de-caf just isn't doing it for me! Think it's more withdrawal from coke than coffee that are giving me thee withdrawals!

OK so that's all my questions..thanks a mil for any help! I know I'm being annoying cause I'm sure a lot of these answers are in the book which I don't have with me right now, so sorry! Hope everyone is doing great!