Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Default video recs please-weight training for men

I'm looking for a video that covers basic form, what muscles each exercise works and a decent program for my hubby. I've been watching him and he has absolutley horrible form, I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself.

I've been using the Tony Little videos from years ago...he's pretty good, but the tight spandex and basically Tony Little is a definate turn off to my dh. "that's for women"

Any ideas?

Sarah in MD.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:46 AM   #2  

He saw a segment on the news once a few years ago about how to become a personal trainer. He thinks all those personal trainers are just people out to make a buck and can't be trusted to actually be knowledgable about what they are doing. And he definately won't pay money to have one work with him.

AND...he won't read the books I get from the library. He says, "you read them and tell me what they say, you're good with that stuff." He's a well educated person, you'd think he'd be able to read a book. Most of the books I read are more directed at women-obviously.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #3  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Actually, there are two books I can think of that are specifically geared towards men:

New Rules of Lifting

Men's Health Power Training

(although I'm currently using Power Training myself )

I can't think of any one source for videos, however, sometimes I've found helpful:

http://www.exrx.net/

And a specific example from their site:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BKickback.html
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly,

Videos aren't the way to go for weight lifting. If he is dead set on videos though there are some kettlebell videos that I like.

I'd recommend any of these, highly recommend reading descriptions. I believe I have the Providence one.
http://www.artofstrength.com/dvdwork...2/Default.aspx

I don't have any of these and not sure if they are instruction or workouts or a mix of both. I do have a couple books related to the DVDs and from what I read, people usually recommend Pavel's books over his DVDs.

http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/pr...rkbprods=kbdvd
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #5  

Well...he might if I'm watching it. If not, I'll have the knowledge to show him. It's a long shot. I was hoping there was a nice one that would be sort of geared to both guys and gals. I may find the BFL book and get it from the library.
Sarah
Old 11-27-2008, 11:25 AM   #6  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

What about Gilad??
He has girls on camera also, but he's a guy. Might still be too girlie for your hubbythough.

Check out the Men's Health website for some ideas.

Good luck
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/157/160

As for learning proper form and which muscles are worked, I'd recommend this book/DVD combo from the NSCA

http://www.amazon.com/Exercise-Techn...7824506&sr=8-3

As for programs for men, I'd recommend any of the following:
Core Performance by Mark Verstegen
New Rules of Lifting by Cosgrove and Shuler
Men's Health Power Training by Robert Dos Remedios

and when he gets a little experience, I highly suggest
Maximum Strength by Eric Cressey

These books along with Mike Boyles two books (Functional Training for Sport and Designing Strength Training Programs and Facilities) will give put him well on his way to designing his own programs.

Actually, I would and have made the exact same recommendations for women and the only reason I have not also recommended New Rules of Lifting for Women above is because it sounds like he will be put off by the title although, speaking as a man, I can vouch that there is plenty he could take away from that book and program as well.

Last edited by Depalma; 11-27-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Depalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #8  

Starting strength training is good book , Poliquin principles , and how to do exercises Secrets of pros from Sarcev
Markoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

What about the DVD set, P90X?? I saw an infomercial on it over the weekend and a lot of people had great sucess with it??
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote