Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 8"

Default Ack! Please Tell Me "it's just water"

Alright, alright, I've been around long enough to know that a body simply cannot create 3 lbs of fat in a week - but still....

I quit smoking a week ago so, with the exception of a one day carb fest at the very beginning, I've been super extra diligent with my clean eating and am back to measuring and logging like I never lost a pound. I actually dropped my calories back a smidge just in case the "nicotine stimulates metabolism" stories were true. Yet, this morning, the scale says 148 I didn't move my ticker back up yet because that I did read one article that said the digestive and stress issues associated with nicotine withdrawal can cause water retention so I'm hoping, hoping HOPING that's the culprit.

Not to worry, I realize that smoking like a chimney didn't even slow down my ascent to 200lbs so a pound or two isn't going to be an excuse I use to light up but, geez, so disconcerting after I worked so hard. Any other "quitters" out there who can tell me if they had a lot of water retention in the beginning? (please, oh please )
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

This is exactly why I weigh myself everyday and keep track in a spreadsheet. My weight drops and raises as much as 10 pounds difference any given week, but the general trend is sinking. With most people, every day on the scale can be considered a fluke- there's so much that goes into your weight. But averages don't lie.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:24 PM   #3  

Actually, I do weigh every day - and have watched the silly scale bounce around like silly putty. This morning was just the highest it's been so it really kind of upset me - not that lack of nicotine has made me hyper sensitive or anything ...
Old 11-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

It's just water.

Ok, it *could* be some re-gain, and while it might be possible to gain 3 lbs in a week, if you've been on plan, I doubt it.

What I really think is that you've put your body through a shock in depriving it of nicotine and you're just going to have some crazy results for a while. I would suspect that it's going to take a little bit for your body to come to grips with this new way of life.

That's my totally unscientific, based-on-common sense guess about the situation.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

When I quit smoking (many years ago) a registered dietician told me to expect my body to show a five pound gain pretty immediately. She warned that anything more than that was fat, but that there is a body adjustment to the withdrawal.

After your body adjusts (not tomorrow, maybe not for a month or two) that "false" gain will gradually disappear.

The R.D. also warned that sometimes folks eat more after they quit for several reasons....

Many folks smoke instead of eat, without the cigarette they extend meals slightly or add snacks where cigarettes used to be.

Food tastes better, (this takes a little bit) so there is a tendency to eat more.

Make sure that those two things are not happening and just stick out the body adjustment weight. It will pass, and you will feel much better and be able to exercise and move more!
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora123a View Post
When I quit smoking (many years ago) a registered dietician told me to expect my body to show a five pound gain pretty immediately. She warned that anything more than that was fat, but that there is a body adjustment to the withdrawal.

After your body adjusts (not tomorrow, maybe not for a month or two) that "false" gain will gradually disappear.
The R.D. also warned that sometimes folks eat more after they quit for several reasons....

Many folks smoke instead of eat, without the cigarette they extend meals slightly or add snacks where cigarettes used to be.
Food tastes better, (this takes a little bit) so there is a tendency to eat more.

Make sure that those two things are not happening and just stick out the body adjustment weight. It will pass, and you will feel much better and be able to exercise and move more!
Thanks Pandora, I really needed to hear that phrase "false gain" makes me feel so much better. I have gone back to being extra diligent with my planning, measuring, and logging just to make sure I don't add any calories without thinking about it. I haven't increased the calories at all but I did notice I've been going heavy on the fruit again which means more carbs. I did read that nicotine withdrawal can make blood sugar drop and cause extra fatigue - wonder if my body has been sending me little subliminal messages to add those fruity carbs For the holidays I'm going to try going with the protein and leafy greens keeping carbs to a bare minimum and see if that helps at all.

Last edited by yoyonomoreinvegas; 11-25-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatburning View Post
All of your Views are Awesome.

Now a days every one is very conscious about his/her weight. I give you the secret for most effective way to burn body fat ever.

Exercise :

If you are undertaking exercises at 9am, just shift it by an hour. Try to perform the exercises at 8am. You might also try to perform a different set of exercises that are in the manual or video. Increase the time you spend on the exercises helps too, so if you were jogging for 20 minutes, increasing that by 10 minutes to 40 will help start the fat loosing regime again. In most cases these minor adjustments will help you to start loosing fat again. You can also try changing your dietary habits. For instance, you can increase the amount of protein you get or the times you eat. Just change your normal eating routine and you will find that you have started burning fat again.

But If anyone don't have a time to do Exercise then in that case turbo charge your metabolism and burn off body fat faster than you ever thought possible.

For Complete info complete study about fatburningproductreviews.

Here are a few of the fat burning secrets you'll discover:

The #1 most effective way to burn body fat ever (If you could only make one change to your current diet program, this would be it!)

How to break through any fat loss plateau - even if you've been stuck at the same weight for years! 10 fool-proof methods that work like magic every time.

The #1 reason why most people can't drop the last 10 -20 lbs of ab flab and how you can lose it with ease...and (if you want to), go even further and get hyper-ripped and rock-hard like a bodybuilder or fitness model.

How to eat 50% more calories without storing an ounce as fat - It's true - you can actually eat more food while losing more fat using this simple, but often overlooked strategy!

How to crank up your metabolism and turn your body into a food-incinerating, fat-melting human blast furnace! Easy metabolism-boosting techniques revealed!

How to get your body burning fat around the clock - even while you're sleeping!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote