Old 11-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #1  
Depressed Fatty

S/C/G: 233/220/150

Height: 5'6

Thumbs up I need a diet. Help!

I am 235lbs. I want to lose 80 lbs. I see some people have lost great amounts of weight. How the **** did they do it? Please tell me your working diets. I don't want to waste my money on fad diets. I am 20 years old & 5'6, if they helps somehow. I don't want to try a failing diet. I want to be on the diet all you successful people are on.

List them please!!
cadilynnro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I don't diet.

Not only that - I don't believe in "diets". I hate the very idea of diets. I hate the concept that you can "start" eating some way and lose weight and then "stop" eating that way and expect it to all be magically ok. I hate the idea that you have to restrict yourself to be on a "diet" and that you have to suffer. I hate the idea that if you eat something you want you've "cheated" or you've "failed" or you've "fallen off the wagon".

A diet is something that ends and then you go back to your old way of life and gain weight again.

I'm also of the belief that if you deprive yourself of the things you want and the things you love, then you're setting yourself up for failure. Because eventually you're going to FEEL deprived, and then you're going to give up and say "to **** with it".

The only thing that really works, long term, is to make a permanent change in your life - to the way you eat, the way you exercise, and your entire mindset/outlook on your health. Anything else is just, IMO, a temporary fix and will collapse as soon as you go "off" your diet.

For me that means calorie counting, eating whole foods and avoiding processed foods as much as possible, and exercise. I try to stay within a range of calories (1500 +/-). I eat whole foods and natural foods. I avoid packaged and processed foods as much as possible. I try to exercise every day - although only maybe 4-5 days a week is actually going to the gym and exercising. Other days I try to exercise at home or by getting out and being active.

Even more: I am not forbidden to eat anything. I eat for life. And in my life there are going to be french fries. There are going to be dinners at the Mexican restaurant with chips and queso. There are going to be birthday cakes. There are going to be office events with bagels and donuts and muffins. That's life.

That means that I look at the calories I've consumed for the day and I see if I can have a brownie. If I can, I do. Or even 1/2 a brownie. And I enjoy it. If I can't have one tonight, I make room in my calories for one tomorrow - maybe for a morning snack. And then I have something to look forward to. Really, one brownie? One brownie is about 180 calories. Most people can fit that in as a snack if they really really really want it.

I honestly and truly believe that diets don't work. What works is creating a lifestyle that's conducive to being healthy and active. I have made significant changes in my life over the last 2 years; in what I eat, in the way I eat, in the amount of exercise I get. And there is nothing in my mind that says "I'm on a diet" ... because I'm not. I'm just eating what I eat.

And doing so has allowed me to lose 75 pounds and keep it off for nearly 2 years now.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Well, I didn't "diet". I changed my lifestyle.
First, I started logging everything I ate in Fitday.
Then, I set some calorie goals and began calorie counting.
Then, I set some nutritional goals, started eating cleaner (more whole foods, less processed stuff - balanced my carbs/protein/fat - which was way less carbs - more protein and fats)
Then I added some exercise.
I tweaked the plan along the way - found out that I do better eating 6 small meals a day - rather than 3 big ones. I added in more water and gave up diet soda.

All the chickies that seem to do well, have all tweaked a plan to work for them. Each one is doing things that fit their body and lifestyle.

You can do this! But, it will probably take some adjustments along the way.

I do vouch for calorie counting! It is something that you can do forever (maintenance just as important as losing).

CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #4  

LOL - I was posting while photochick was. As you can see, we are both avid calorie counters!
Great post PC!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:49 PM   #5  

Hee hee! We seem to be sharing a brain today!

I think I've posted the same thing about dozen times this week. I finally pulled all my old posts saying the same thing and I'm going to put them on my blog this week.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #6  
Depressed Fatty

How do you make these changes though? Is everyone capable of losing weight or are some people born to be fat? I started the calorie counter thing. I just can't see myself quit eating mcdonalds and eat healthy things instead...It's going to be a huge change...I'm just worried about not going through with it. I doubt myself.

Also, anyone reconmend a good scale?

Last edited by cadilynnro; 11-22-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7

Dear Photochick,

Thank you, thank U, Thank you! I love what you wrote and I am going to copy and paste your words...priceless! I want to be able to write those words in two years, including the 75 lb part! You expressed so clearly and succintly what I desire for myself!

Beautiful....Be-You-To-Full!

I am so grateful I found this forum and all the people here walking their talk!

Best wishes,
thinkerbell
thinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #8  

cadilynnro - no one can make the changes except you. How do you change your diet?
One step at a time.
First, start logging everything you eat. That alone is a biggie. If fast food is a trigger for you, set a small goal. Something you can do. Then, improve upon that goal once you meet it.

I do not think anyone was meant to be fat. If you read my goal story (linked in my signature), you will see that my father died at 400+ lbs. For many years, I used my genetic pre-disposition to "fatness" as an excuse. Truth be told - no one made me fat, but me. I put each and every bite of food into my mouth. No one else. I chose to veg on my computer instead of exercise. I at the wrong foods - and I knew what I was doing, I just didn't care enough to change.

You have to want to change. Then you have to develop a plan, and stick to it. It WILL require you to give up some things that you do now. It WILL require you to do some things you probably aren't thrilled about doing.

The question is - how much do you want to change? If you want to be thinner and healthier - you can. It is totally up to you.

Start small - right now - make a change or two. Build on that change. Set a goal, and hold yourself accountable.

You can do this! Really!
Old 11-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #9  

Thinkerbell - Thank you! You really put a smile on my face this evening.

Cadilynn - How do you make these changes? The honest truth is that you just DO. You make the commitment to change.

I don't believe that anyone is "born to be fat". Yes, there are people who have gained weight because of medical reasons, because of treatments, because their bodies are just out of whack in that way, but I truly believe that those people are the extreme minority. I truly think that for 99% of the people out there, being "born to be fat" is an excuse that they make to themselves to avoid making changes to their lives that they're not ready to make.

Quote:
can't see myself quit eating mcdonalds and eat healthy things instead
How about eating healthy things AND eating McDonalds? How about making a commitment to eating healthy 5 days a week and allowing yourself McDonald's on the weekend? Can you do that?

But you know what - truth is that after I started eating healthy and watching my calories and working out, I realized that I don't really WANT McDonald's any more. Maybe you'll get to that point and maybe you won't. But you won't know until you try.

I'll tell you another thing that I say on here a lot: You have got to change your vocabulary.

I can't.
I won't.
It's too hard.
I doubt.

Already you're giving yourself an excuse to fail. Because in 2 or 3 weeks you can go back to these words and tell yourself "I knew it would be too hard. I knew I couldn't do it. I'm right. I'm just a failure and I'll always be fat." You've got a built in excuse to fail.

Stop saying those things.

Until you can say:
I can do this.
I'm capable of eating healthy foods in reasonable quantities.
I'm capable of learning what's healthy and what's not.
I will do this.
It might be hard at first, but I'll learn and it'll become easier.

Then you're not going to succeed. It's all about YOU and your commitment. Be committed. You can do it. We all have here. We've all move from "It's too hard." to "I'm going to do this!"

You can too.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #10  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I`m with Photochick.

I don`t diet.

I count calories, eat clean, move my body and drink my water. I eat only good healthy fats and if I REALLY want something I either make room for it today or make room for it tomorrow (at which time I usually find out I didn`t really want it anyways.)

Good luck!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #11  

Quote:
make room for it tomorrow (at which time I usually find out I didn`t really want it anyways.)
Ain't that the truth!

Sometimes I think I want something ... and I promise myself that if I still want it after I eat an apple, I can have it. Funny enough, after the apple, I don't really want it any more.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #12  
Depressed Fatty

Smile

Thanks guys. I work at Wendys and everything is so tempting. Lol. I'm gonna visit my boyfriend's house less (where all the snacks are).

How many pounds have you guys lost where people see the difference? I lost 10 pounds before by not eating, and I thought I saw a difference, but no one else did.

I'll give this a shot. Once I have money, I'm gonna go to the gym. I have to go to work now. Thanks guys for your input, tips, and encouragement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Ain't that the truth!

Sometimes I think I want something ... and I promise myself that if I still want it after I eat an apple, I can have it. Funny enough, after the apple, I don't really want it any more.

That's a good idea.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hey there. I just finished answering your post on the Goal section. Take a look.

Anyway, count me in as another one who's not on a "diet". Yup, diets begin and then end. You stop them and then go back to your normal and then pile back on all the weight that you've lost. What I'm "on" is going to continue - forever and ever. Because that's how long I'd like to stay at a healthy weight for. I've made sustainable changes that will G-d willing last me a lifetime.

I no longer am a person who eats whatever she wants when she wants. I no longer WANT TO BE that person. Eating what I wanted to and when I wanted to made me morbidly obese. And really eating all that food never ever made me happy anyway. NEVER.

And I too am a calorie counter. It's the only thing that sets limits for me. It hold me accountable. Intuitive eating or listening to my body never, ever works. My body tells me to eat - and eat - and eat some more. Which is why "watching myself" never worked either. I need FORCED limits and boundaries and that's what calorie counting does for me.

I didn't believe it was possible to live without high calorie/high quantity food either. Until the day when I got fed up enough and so sick and tired of being fat and realized that I didn't have to be fat if I didn't want to be. That it was indeed something I have control over. Granted though, the control will never fall in your lap. YOU MUST TAKE CONTROL. And it did mean giving up some things. Very strict in the beginning. Sure I loved ice cream, cake, fried foods and the such, but I didn't LOVE what it did for me. And I finally realized that I could not have it both ways. Those "things" are meant to be eaten once in a while. A rarity.

As for the deprived feeling. Never happened to me. What I was doing when I was eating all those things and became morbidly obese. THAT was depriving myself. Of the best me that I could possibly be. Of the life that I was intended to have. I knew each and every time I said "no" to one of "those" foods, I was saying YES to me. And I would be one step closer to fufilling my dreams of being a fit, healthy and trim person. My desire to be thin and trim OUTWEIGHED the desire for the food.

And then, lo and behold - your tastes change. And you barely want the junk anymore. You actually CRAVE the "good stuff". Who knew?

I urge you to make a plan, as eating healthy does not happen by chance. It most definitely has to be planned out in advance, BEFOREHAND. This way you're not hungry and faced with a decision to make that could thwart your goals. Do some shopping, buy some healthy foods. Rid your home of the junk. Do some web searching and find healthy, nutritious DELICIOUS foods to make.

And by the way, til you get to the gym. Start walking. Take a walk. Even 15 minutes to start and slowly build up. Buy yourself an inexpensive resistance band for strength training.

And it may take time for people or yourself to notice the difference. But so what. STICK to your plan. Time moves rather quickly. STICK with that plan and before you know it the weight will come off. It won't come off overnight. But it most definitely WILL come off. Losing weight is a doable thing and anyone and everyone can indeed do it. Be persistent and be consistient.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #14  

Robin is right. Your tastes do change!
I used to abhor veggies -went months without eating them. Now, I crave them - yup - the way I used to crave sweets. I am more likely to "HAVE" to go to the grocery store for fresh veggies than for any other food. They are something I feel deprived if I can't have.
Who woullda thunk it - ME - a veggie lover?
Old 11-23-2008, 01:13 AM   #15  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Which is why "watching myself" never worked either. I need FORCED limits and boundaries and that's what calorie counting does for me.

I didn't believe it was possible to live without high calorie/high quantity food either. Until the day when I got fed up enough and so sick and tired of being fat and realized that I didn't have to be fat if I didn't want to be. That it was indeed something I have control over. Granted though, the control will never fall in your lap. YOU MUST TAKE CONTROL. And it did mean giving up some things. Very strict in the beginning. Sure I loved ice cream, cake, fried foods and the such, but I didn't LOVE what it did for me. And I finally realized that I could not have it both ways. Those "things" are meant to be eaten once in a while. A rarity.

As for the deprived feeling. Never happened to me. What I was doing when I was eating all those things and became morbidly obese. THAT was depriving myself. Of the best me that I could possibly be. Of the life that I was intended to have. I knew each and every time I said "no" to one of "those" foods, I was saying YES to me. And I would be one step closer to fufilling my dreams of being a fit, healthy and trim person. My desire to be thin and trim OUTWEIGHED the desire for the food.
I could have written ALL of the above. I still am very strict with my foods. I plan my 1800 calorie menu the night before, I stick to it ALL the next day. I never feel deprived. I encorporate my very favorite (now) foods into my plan. Salmon, cheese, nuts, mandarin oranges. THESE are my candy. THESE are my sinful delights.

I like to say that my desire to be thin, healthy and ALIVE outweighs (lol) my desire to eat chips, candy, McDonalds.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote