South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Default Wintry Weekend On the Beach

It is cold outside! We ended up with 3" of snow yesterday, and I don't think it's going to melt anytime soon!

We're going out to get new tires for Jake's car before breakfast, but I think we're spending the rest of the day at home. Caitlyn was supposed to get home in the wee morning hours, so I'm eager to here from them to find out how the trip was. She was driving down from ME with a friend. We probably won't see her until tomorrow, though.

I'm coming along well on my cross-stitch project, but I still don't think it will be done by Christmas. I don't think I'll ever do one on a black background again, though, I keep going cross-eyed trying to count the stitches!

What's everyone doing this weekend?
Old 11-22-2008, 06:56 AM   #2  
Determined to lose!

Morning Cottage, hope Caitlyn makes it home alright.

I've a day planned to catch up on house work and run errands. Have to get oil change and a key for the house made for a neighbor who's agreed to let the pups out once a day so they don't have to hold it for 13 hours like they are... they do ok, but I can't imagine any damage they may be causing to their body's because of it.

woke up with a headache and have been feelng blue the past few days. Thanksgiving is the only holiday I celebrate and I have NO one to share it with. I've invited my son over for either a small dinner and movie day or to go volunteer at a homeless shelter, no reply as to wether he will or not. It's times like this I realize I really don't have many friends, and what family I have that I talk with usually goes to the inlaws for holidays.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Oh, that's sad, Lori. But why don't you consider volunteering to help with dinner at a homeless shelter for Thanksgiving? You'll be doing a good deed, plus sharing camaraderie with others.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Good morning, all! I'm up early here -- we're driving to Rockville this morning (which is about 120 miles) and I'm not sure what my plans are for the rest of the day. Roofers may or may not come out and get started. There's about an inch of snow on the ground but that's all.
It *is* pretty.
Off to make breakfast before we go but I'll be sure to check in later.
Have a great weekend!
Old 11-22-2008, 07:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Good morning ladies!

Cottage - Wow, we're a stunning 21 degrees here! But we've got a couple inches of snow on the ground too....

Lori - oh, that's rough! The first thing I did was to see where you're at...too far! I think the volunteering thing would be awesome! I'd like to get my kids doing that someday...

Spooky and others to follow - enjoy the day!

me - Ahhhh....cup of coffee, computer, and no one's awake yet (and literally, as I type that, I hear the pitter patter of little feet...). I think it's a pretty mellow day, which is awesome. Clean up a room after moving stuff to storage, play in the snow, get the Christmas list going. And, I'm having my ww & nut pancake withdrawal, so that's on the slate for breakfast! YUM!!

Have a wonderful and warm day!
Old 11-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Lori, I definitely agree with Cottage on this one! I spent a lonely Christmas Days when H. was first in the nursing home and refused to sit home and mope after that. I volunteered at the homeless shelter in Brockville and had a great time! I'm sure you could do the same for TD.

Cottage, I sewed last night on a Christmas hanging I made last January and put away forgetting the darn thing had not been quilted yet! I also found another that needs a bit of embroidery and then quilting - by machine. I need to get off my butt and thinking Christmas gifts. Safe trip to Caitlyn.

Brrr again here but sunshine. The dogs were very quick for potty last night and this morning! They sure don't like the cold. It's also time to start up the woodstove in the back room every night so they are comfy out there. I do have a heater with a thermostat out there but the electricity bill is mounting and I do have five cords of wood.

Today's agenda has to include the barn as I didn't make it out there today. We expect snow next week and I hate brushing snow off the car on cold mornings. There's really not much to do - just move some of the stuff the guys shifted when they worked there this summer. Yes, I know I should have done it then. Thanks, Mom. Some how I missed out on the WASP work ethic!

Oy! A week from today is Country Christmas and I have tons to do. I just realized I need to make myself a prophetess costume as I'm narrating this year. The good news is that means I don't have to sing - I'm getting really tired of Coventry Christmas Carol.

Quit talking and get on with it, Ruthie!

ETA: Hi there, Twinn and Spooky. Isn't it strange that I'm the farthest north and don't have snow. I think we're colder though at 12ºF but it's going up to 26ºF. A heat wave!
Old 11-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Good morning Chicks It's mighty cold here too, but no snow until next week. Looks like snow every day starting monday

Cottage - Sounds like you have the perfect snowy day planned!

Lori- We are volunteering at the local dinner on Thursday. DP is playing music and I'm doing whatever they need. It is such a family day and everyone we know is with family. My own family is scattered and we just don't get together for this one, so why not share it with others. Hope you make plans that work for you

Twynn- must be the weather cuz I woke up thinking about pancakes too Enjoy yours & your day.

Spooky - Have a good day

Ruth - I doubt anyone would say you missed out on that work ethic - you're the busiest person I know I've got to get outside too - my garden is still not completely winter ready and we have the same garage issue. Oops!

Our weekend will be domestic, I think. It's too windy to go birding anywhere so it will be house chores and maybe a little relaxing. Judging from the looks I'm getting now though it's time for the wet cat food. Have a good day everyone!
Old 11-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #8  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Morning girls- quickie for me today- I am actually gong to work! lol... and I am running late... Such a procrastinator!!!!

Have a great day ladies and I will see what yall are up to when I get home!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #9  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Hahaaaa Nevermind- I think they were playing tricks on me... Called as I was leaving to say I only had a couple appointments so if I wasn't sure I was better- than better to be safe than sorry... sheesh... I do get kinda depressed at home by myself, it'd be different if dh was off too! oh well, This way surely I will be 100% by the time I go back to work on Wednesday!!!!oh my, then I am off thursday and friday for thanksgiving... I swear I am going to be sooooo poor by the end of the season... enough ranting once again....

Cottage- 3 inches is what we got TOTAL here last year! I really don't like the cold but the snow sure is pretty!

Lori if you were closer I would invite you to eat with us... we have such a small family and live so far away that its always us and a group of friends instead of family we'd love to have you too bad you live to far away-and my mom has 6 dogs- you'd love it there! lol Volunteering sounds like a great idea- I hope your son will go with!

Spooky

Twynn- That breakfast sounds decadent!

Ruth- my dogs have been quick outside too... this morning they were wanting back in and I looked out to see Jake's breath and he was shivering! They have gotten too used to being in the house but I feed them outside and the cats inside so they have to stay out until the cats are done eating- and they weren't too happy about that! a treat and they were over it though!

Cyndi- enjoy your relaxing weekend!

As for me, this weather is freaking me out- we normally don't see this till like January! Its only 20 degrees outside, and i just looked the average low is about 38 normally-so yeah, I am freezing! Since being called off work today I am going to make myself work around here a little... I need to check out Hobby lobby to get a few more ornaments, or maybe go to Kmart to see what Martha has in store Mom and dad are coming down tomorrow for their haircuts and a bit of shopping, should be a nice day! Well, I better run- I wish I woulda known before I started drinking coffee that I was going to be off- I woulda went back to bed for a bit!

Last edited by rdw1; 11-22-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #10  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Cottage - I feel your pain on black aida. Have fun seeing Caitlyn this weekend, I know you've missed her.

Lori- I'm so sorry you're feeling blue. Sometimes kids don't understand the importance of celebrating holidays with family....maybe he needs a gentle reminder? If that doesn't work, I agree with cottage - nothing like a little work at a shelter to remind you how good your life is.

Morning, Spooky! Drive carefully.

Twynn, kids seem to be connected to us in a way that they just *know* when we're treasuring our alone time. It seems the second I reflect on a quiet moment, my DS bursts in. Enjoy your quiet day!

Ruth, you are such a busy woman! Enjoy your weekend!

Morning, Cyndi. Enjoy your day!

Rikki, enjoy your day off! Have fun at Hobby Lobby - I stopped by yesterday, they have some great ornaments and Christmas decor.

-
Well, I bought a bunch of produce at the farm stand yesterday and have no idea whether it is lost in my car (it's clean though!) or I left it there. I'm missing an entire bag (including my wonderful expanding mesh produce bag).

Today I'm going to be cleaning and getting my grocery shopping for TD out of the way. I have the sales circulars for all the supermarkets and have planned my routes. DH laughed but I'm saving almost $100 by buying different things at different markets. Thankfully they are all very close together so I won't blow that $100 savings on gas! Maybe I'll swing through the carwash on the way home, DH has been taking my car to school this past week and all the driving on gravel roads has made it a little piggy on the outside.

It was definitely a night for flannel pajamas last night! DH didn't turn the heat on before bed and we woke up to the house being 52 with an outside temp of 34. BRR!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #11  
sophie

Good morning,

Cottage - when I work with black I try to put a piece ofwhite cloth on my lap that way there are no distractions from colour and its easier on the eyes,that might work for you.

Ruth - good luck with the barn rearrangement, its darn old here this morning.

Loriann - Ruth knowes best.

Twynn - your breakfast sounds better than fiber one.

Spooky - have a safe drive.

Cyndi - I'm sure you will fill your weekend time nicely.

Rikki - you sound excited to be working.

Me - DH is going to try to put in one of the counters today. Warned me I might be without a sink for a few days. We have a few sinks on the lower level but who wants to wash pots and pans in the laundry room or powder room. I have to finish knitting a hat for my wonderful grandson. Did two last year and both got lost. I guess handling a dog and a carriage is too much for my DD.
Have a nice day
sophie
Old 11-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #12  
sophie

Zeff - I use to plan our meals very carefully when DH was a student and 39 years later I still do. Its a good lesson you are getting for life. My DH was in universityl for 4 years when we first got married. I got a PHT (putting hubby thru). Worked all that time in a mental health clinic. Of course, we had no children to support at that time. It must be challenging.
sophie
Old 11-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #13  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Sophie - I don't know what it is about hats....ours get lost all the time. Thankfully DS' coat has a hood because he isn't too fond of hats anyway.

Do you knit your hats in the round or just do two pieces and sew them together?

We have quite a bit more money now than we have the past few years of our marriage (the first 3 years, DH averaged about 20k, this year it's more like 60k with all his teaching assignments) - it is still hard to just spend without thinking though (I think that is a great thing). I used to consider it a game to see just how frugal we could be, it really made it easy to not become depressed about our situation if I was having fun! I still have a great time being frugal - I love consignment and thrift shops and finding the best deal in town has long been a mission

I definitely think all the years of hardship definitely built character for both of us.

Last edited by zeffryn; 11-22-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #14  
sophie

This hat I am knitting in the round and adding ear flaps so she can tie it. When ever I can I always convert my pattern to knit in the round. I hate to purl. Last year I was on a real kick to knit socks and knitted 6 pairs but I have to take it easy because knitting flares up my tendonitis.
sophie
Wh
Old 11-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Good Saturday morning, everyone!!

Cottage: I'm envious of your 3" of snow. I get rather impatient for it to come!! At least your cross stitch will be ready and beautiful to hang for next Christmas. I've never had the discipline to take it up. Enjoy your at-home day!

Lori: Awww, ! I think the rest of the ladies are right on track suggesting the volunteering thing. I've never done it on a holiday, but even when you do it on a regular day, it is such a blessing. I hope you figure out some plans and that their happy ones!

Spooky: Hope you have a pleasant drive and a wonderful day!!

Twynn: Mmmmm. Can I join you for breakfast? DH isn't a fan of sweet breakfasts. I think I've made pancakes once since we've met. Do you have a recipe you could share?

Ruth: We've been very fortunate with our utility costs for heating (we have gas furnaces), but if it goes up much higher, we may have to clean out the wood stove and get it going! I hope you have a wonderful day and that those doggies stay warm!

Cyndi: Enjoy your domestic weekend! You and DP have such a giving spirit. I'm sure you make Thanksgiving wonderful for a lot of people!

rdw: Sorry about the financial aspect of it, but I'm glad you get the day off to continue recovering. Enjoy your day of shopping!

Zeffryn: Good for you finding the lowest prices for your Thanksgiving fare! Groceries can really wreck a budget if we're not careful! I hope you find your bag!! Enjoy your day of shopping and I hope that everything is fully stocked when you get there!!

Sophie: Sitting all day and knitting (well, crocheting in my case) sounds like a great day. I've still got a lapghan to finish for my grandmother before Christmas! I hope the counter replacement goes quickly and that you're not without an upstairs sink for too long. Have a great Saturday!

Me: Well, I'm just up and waiting on DH to get breakfast going. He's being a bit lazy this morning because he stayed up late watching movies. Oh well. At least I got the coffee going. I went to the dr. yesterday and she gave me some muscle relaxers and told me to take it easy for the weekend. I was tempted to ask if she was going to send a cleaning crew and a laundry person over so that the house and our clothes would be ready for our trip next week. Oh well. DH will be home all day, so he can help me with the lifting and such.

We were planning on going hiking and then to our local "Gallery Night" today, but I don't think that's going to happen. I guess I'll just loaf around on the couch directing DH what to clean next. Hey, that may be fun after all!
Closed Thread