Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #1  
Workin' It

Default Sick & can't exercise

Hi everyone... I mainly need a little support to keep myself from doing something stupid.

I have an upper respiratory infection, have been sick since Monday, finally went to the doctor today. I exercised Monday before I started showing symptoms, Tuesday even though I was a little congested (and actually felt a lot better for a few hours), didn't do anything yesterday. I felt horrible and could barely walk downstairs to drive to work, much less work out. Today I went to the doctor and got a steroid shot, feel kind of out of it but wanted to exercise. So, did a 35 minute cardio yoga video. I know it is plenty for today, but I feel myself wanting to go back in and do more to make up for yesterday. I tend to be very goal oriented and am pretty hard on myself if I feel I'm not staying on track. I also tend to overdo and find myself regretting it later. Trying hard not to do that today.

What do you guys do when you are sick? Am I better off to rest the rest of today and try some light cardio in the morning?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Aw Shannon! Those upper resp things just suck. I usually get one every spring and fall ... knock wood, I've avoided one this year.

Rest, girl! Take a break and don't beat yourself up. Try the cardio yoga again in the morning (I was going to suggest something like that anyway - that wasn't too overpowering).

Take it slow and let yourself heal.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #3  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

Yes, rest! I was sick most of last week and knew I had to take it easy, otherwise I wouldn't get better. Now, I didn't lose any weight, but I didn't put any on either. In the end, I was happy with my decision.
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

No need to stress your body further, esp as it's a respiratory infection. A few days off won't hurt. One as goal-oriented as you will be right back on track as soon as you feel better. Lots of rest and liquids will help you feel better soon.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:27 PM   #5  
Workin' It

Thanks guys! I figure I'll be able to get back on track once I get better, hopefully I won't overdo then and wind up sick again!

I just keep telling myself if I miss a day I don't have to do extra the next day to make up for it, just take it in stride...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote