General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #1  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Default Why do they have to make car headlights SO BLINDING!

My eyes have always been sensitive to light. I dread this time of year when it gets dark early and I have to drive home at night. It seems like they are making car headlights brighter and brighter each year to the point that sometimes I can't tell if they have their brights on or it's just the headlights. Trucks are even worse.

You would think they could come up with something that would light up the road but not blow out the eyes of oncoming traffic.

One of the girls at work told me about getting a pair of yellow safety glasses. It really helps alot with the glare. She said her doctor recommended them after she had Lasik surgery and found her eyes got super sensitive.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #2  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

I have the same problem with car headlights and those blue lights are really the worst-they are much, much brighter than the old type. I got the anti-glare coating on my glasses and it helps some. At least the bright spot is just a spot and not a huge, glaring mass! The yellow lenses might help. I remember back in the 80's when those yellow-brown "blue-blocker" lenses were the rage, they really did help with glare at night.
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #3  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

He-he-he-he... I am one of "Those" gals in the big SUV... so the lights don't bother me as much, but I know mine bother the lil'er vehicles on the road.
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #4  
FB

I drive a tiny little roadster and am left absolutely blinded at night. It is crazy! I can console myself knowing mine are super crazy bright too - at least I have that
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #5  
Operator265

Much of it has to do with the fact that most people don't know how or even that they should properly position their headlights. They are supposed to be directed down at the road in front of the car, not straight forward into the air. Without having a surface to reflect off of they don't light things up as well, but are blinding the people in front of them. At work we are pretty quick to call each other about bad light positioning on graveyards.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I'm soooo glad they quit putting those blue ones in new cars. However, they are still on the road. When I drove my Saturn, I had lights in my eyes constantly. Now that I have my Rav, I'm up higher and it isn't quite as bothersome. However, I really hate the ones behind me. They glare in my rearview mirror and side view mirrors.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #7  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

Yup, yup, I HATE those lights!

They are just as bad as those clueless morons who drive around with their highbeams on, blinding everyone else on the road!
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #8  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
... However, I really hate the ones behind me. They glare in my rearview mirror and side view mirrors.
Sorry
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #9  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Cheeks View Post
Yup, yup, I HATE those lights!

They are just as bad as those clueless morons who drive around with their highbeams on, blinding everyone else on the road!
Or the people that have one that's on high beam and one that's normal. That drives me insane.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #10  
starting over again

I hate it even more when one of the cars with the bluish lights is behind me and the headlight is glaring in my side mirror. So annoying!!!
Marms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #11  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

I think i would rather have everyone drive w/o any headlights and just use street lamps for light. I have been known to hit a few curbs when i get blinded by the morons with their brights on. Most of the time at night i move my mirrors around so i dont get that stupid glare. BUT then i cant use them. HmMm you would think bu now some genius would have come up with a better solution to all of this. I wear my sunglasses ALOT when i am driving at night. I maybe have to try the yellow ones.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #12  
Randi

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"ish

oh my, dont wear your sunglasses at night when you drive, that is very dangerous, i would definitely try the yellow ones since that doesnt really impair your vision, i live in like the foothills of the appalachian mountains soo needless to say there are no street lights, i would much rather drive with no headlights just use street light, anyways i drive a VW bug soo i'm pretty low to the ground and everyones lights are straight in my eyes whether they are infront of me or behind me. it sucks. Especially after a string of cars passes me and i cant see anything, and then all of a sudden theres a deer in the road which i almost didnt see from temporary blindness. OR there is a car coming and i cant see the deer that is already there until i'm right up on it. SOMEONE needs to come up with a solution!! its terrible i HATE driving at night
ForeverLove is offline   Reply With Quote