Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6.5

Default Ankle Pain???

Hoping someone can help me...

I've been doing the C25K and completed week 8 day 1 last night.

My right ankle is killing me. It has started hurting little by little after my runs but has always felt fine by the next day. Last night it started hurting almost right away when I started running but I pushed my way through it. It is low on my ankle; from the inside towards the back. It hurts to stretch it any direction and hurts to put weight on it. Almost feels like a pulled muscle...which is what I figured it was before but with it hurting so much this moring I'm wondering if any others have had this. Should I keep running on it? I DO NOT want to stop running; that is pretty much out for an option...but what do I need to do so it doesn't hurt anymore?

Could it be my shoes? Could it be that my treadmill is on a constant 1.5 incline? Is it some bad way that I'm running? What do you guys think?
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #2  

Hmmm...is the pain near your achilles tendon?

I have strange ankle pain but on the outside ankle and I've always wondered if its due to supination (inward turning of the foot at the ankle). Perhaps inner ankle pain is due to the opposite - pronation (outward turning). If so, there are certain types of shoes that are supposed to be better for pronating runners - and I think inserts. Its helped me some to spend extra time warming up and stretching my ankles before walking/running.

If the pain continues - its probably best to check with a doctor before it turns into something worse.
Maurene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Well, something may very well be out of whack. Why not get it checked out just to be sure? Also, it could very well be your shoes and/or your gait.

My ankles will get out of whack when I start hiking in the spring and they are bothering me now because I desperately need new running shoes.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #4  

I hate going to the doc. They will just say to stay off it for awhile, I'm sure.

What is "gait"?
Old 11-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Pain is your body's way of saying "Hey! Something isn't right here, please fix it!" It shouldn't be ignored, even if you do want to keep running.

I say this is persistent enough that you should get it checked out by a doctor. I know he might tell you not to run for a few weeks or whatever, but compare that to a few MONTHS with a stress fracture or serious injury.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJo View Post
I hate going to the doc. They will just say to stay off it for awhile, I'm sure.

What is "gait"?
Your gait is basically how you run. If your gait is off, for example, it could mean that you favor your outside arch. It's the process your legs/feet use to move.

I know it sucks to be told to stay off your feet when you're so motivated, but you're better off now getting it checked and staying off of it then down the road when you need surgery. Mandalinn is very right about that.

Last edited by junebug41; 11-18-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #7  

How do you change your gait?
Old 11-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

You have someone who knows what they're doing watch you walk/run who can gauge how you move. Also, if you go to a running store, they have people there who will watch and even videotape you running on a treadmill in order to properly fit you for the right shoes.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #9  

Wow thanks....I'll have to see what we have for running stores near where I live. Thanks alot!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #10  
Let's do this!

Quote:
Wow thanks....I'll have to see what we have for running stores near where I live. Thanks alot!!!
That does not mean that if this is persistant problem you shouldn't have it looked at, ok? If something is wrong, shoes won't fix it.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #11  

I really don't think anything is horribly wrong. I really do think it must be the shoes or the way I'm running or something. So I'm going to try finding a running store and hopefully that helps. If not, I will get it checked out! Thanks again!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #12  
Let's do this!

Quote:
I really don't think anything is horribly wrong. I really do think it must be the shoes or the way I'm running or something. So I'm going to try finding a running store and hopefully that helps. If not, I will get it checked out! Thanks again!
You're welcome
Old 11-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #13  
No description available.

Also ice it regularly. I've witnessed my kid struggling with running injuries for almost a year now so I would really really really suggest you have it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing. It is easier to nip something in the bud than deal with a lengthy tendonitis or (heaven forbid) a stress fracture.....don't ignore injuries.

Good shoes are a must! I'm glad you're looking for a specialty running store (and I'm still surprised that I'm surprised anyone would buy their shoes elsewhere. Get into a good store where people know what they are doing!!!)

Pay attention to stretching.

And ice. Freeze dixie cups of water and then peel the cup back to expose the ice.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #14  

We don't really have speciality running stores around where I live...at least not that I am aware of. I will have to go at least an hour drive to a big enough town for a running store... And yeah... I should work on my stretching.