General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Anyone know lots about hair?

Someone metioned to me that it's not healthy to shampoo hair twice a day. Only problem is I have a hard time getting up in the mornings to work out, so I shower before work ( like I always do ) workout after work, then come home and shower again. Is it bad for my hair to shampoo twice a day?

Thanks!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

why wash your hair in the morning then? You can also just rinse your hair if you need to without shampooing it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

As long as you're not using harsh shampoos and really stripping the oils from your hair, there's no reason you can't wash it 2x a day.

I won't answer for you in response to Nelie, but I will say that *I* personally HAVE to wash my hair in the morning or it feels utterly disgusting by mid morning. I have dry hair (because I color it) but an oily scalp. If I don't wash my hair in the morning before I leave for work, by around 11 a.m. my bangs are greasy and clinging to my forehead and my scalp itches. The only time I don't wash my hair in the morning is on weekends when I don't have to go anywhere - then I'll throw a ball cap on my head if I have to run to the store.

But truth is that I don't always wash it in the evening after the gym. If I'm not going anywhere, I'll just go home and shower and rinse it out and blow dry it. If I'm going out, then of course it gets washed and conditioned just like normal.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

I've never heard that. I knew a girl once, well actually I've known quite a few people who are obsessed with being clean and will shower 3-5 times a day. How they have the time, I'll never know.

You could try a gentle shampoo, like a baby shampoo.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #5  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

i used to wash in the morning and then just rinse and condition in the evening- unless i was going somewhere then i'd just wash twice a day. i also have oily scalp but also sort of fine "man" hair and there's no way I can go without a wash. Some lucky people can wash like every other day - I'm not one of them.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #6  
Abe's Mom

S/C/G: 196/142.8/125

i wash daily but mostly just with conditioner and skip the shampoo and i could do that twice a day if i wanted to and it wouldnt feel like i was stripping my hair--- but i couldnt really wash it that often it would dry mine out--- i' have waves from my perm so they would look frizzy if i didnt do the morning conditioner/wash

i usually do an actual shampoo every few days (once or twice a week)

when i used to wash it with shampoo daily it felt drier and frizzier than what it does now === oh and i color too

also-- in terms of which shampoo/condtioner i like best-- i would say the garnier fructise=== it cleans nice when i shampoo and the condtioner smooths my hair real nice
princess2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #7  

Height: 5'9"

I wash and condition my hair once a day. I can't get away with not washing it for a day, it looks stringy and greasy if I don't wash it. A lot of people have told me it's bad for my hair, to wash it daily. But, I don't really care. To tell you the truth.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I have to wash daily due to extremely oily hair and if I go to the gym in the afternoon I'll wash it twice. I always use conditioner and I've never had dry hair despite coloring it regularly. I think a lot of it depends on your shampoo. I use a moisturizing shampoo (Suave).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

I wash twice a day: in the morning before work and in the evening after I get home from working out. I haven't had any problems!
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #10  
GO YELLOW TEAM!

S/C/G: 287/281/190

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFly View Post
Someone metioned to me that it's not healthy to shampoo hair twice a day. Only problem is I have a hard time getting up in the mornings to work out, so I shower before work ( like I always do ) workout after work, then come home and shower again. Is it bad for my hair to shampoo twice a day?

Thanks!
Ok, so It is definetly not good for your hair to be washed twice a day with a harsh shampoo. Your hair's natural oils get stripped away, and hair becomes frizzy and mistreated. My recomendation? Wash only after you excercise, don't wash again in the morning, especially if you use styling products or appliances
MissCely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

OMIGOSH!!! No way could I wash my hair that much. I'd be bald-headed, with a dry itchy scalp. I wash it once a week, oil my scalp once a week, spray oil sheen on it daily and brush a shine booster into it 3 times a week. In college I had a room-mate of the caucasian persuasion and we each were totally amazed at the vast differences in how we care for our hair. She envied that I didn't have to wash my daily, but I definitely envied how quickly she could blow dry and style hers. Washing, conditioning, drying and flat ironing mine was a 3 hour deal, not to mention I have to brush it into a circle around my head nightly and then tie it up with a silk scarf. Ah well, diversity is a beautiful thing :-)
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 91/68/65 kg

Height: 172 cm 5ft8

i dont think it is good for you? yeh i say just rinse it the first time!
i do mine once a day because it will be way to oily otherwise!
tarryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #13  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Mine falls out when I wash it, so I wash it every other day. While, scalp isn't dry, it doesn't produce alot of oil. I always wash it after heavy cardio, but beyond that, I avoid washing it.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I guess I thought everyone had hair like me!

If I wash my hair every day, even with a gentle shampoo, it dries out. So I wash it every other day. If I feel like it needs to be cleansed for some reason, then I just rinse it with water and comb it in the shower.

I couldn't imagine washing my hair twice a day.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Yeah, I think making any definitive comment about hair care is liking making a definitive comment about what diet works best for people. I don't think it's possible to say "yes this is good" or "no this is bad" for things like this.

And I know my hair has changed over time. The way it used to be when I was in my 20s and even my 30s is so different now.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 11-17-2008 at 07:47 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote