Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/146/140

Height: 5ft 4in

Default back to work after RNY

I just found out yesterday that I cannot take medical leave at my job. We get 14 Personal (PTO time) days a year. I was told I have to use my personal time for surgery. This leaves me in a bind. To have time for dr appointments and what not I figure I can only take off a max of 7 days. Also found out we cannot take a day off without pay, to do so is immediate termination!!! Total Bull, I agree!! Has anyone who has had the RNY gone back to work this quickly???
Jiggly Wiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/245/217

Height: 5'1"

Default I hear that!!

My surgery is scheduled for the 9th and I am hoping to go 2 days after surgery - just a couple hours a day. The only other vacation time I have left is over Christmas and we have planned a family trip to Disney World. We leave on the 23rd. My husband, kids nor myself have ever been and over Christmas is the only time he can take off work because the plant he works at closes. We have scrounged and saved all year to go and I can't dissapoint the kids by not taking them. Any information on how long recovery takes would be super helpful. I have been working out every day hoping that it will help cut down on my recovery time. Best of Luck to you Jiggly Wiggly!!!!!!!
chunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/238/185

Height: 5'9

I had a lapband that became an open procedure. I had it on 10/23 and just went back to work today 11/12. Between the gas and stitches, I could not go in any sooner. I wish you guys the best.
channning102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 376/296/170

Height: 5'4"

I had lap RNY on August 4th which was a Monday. They used staples to close the incisions. They took the staples out on the following Tuesday (sorry cant remember dates) I then went back to work the next day. I was out of work for a week and a half. I dont have a very strenuous job though. I have a desk job. My surgeons recommended 2 weeks, but I felt well enough to go back sooner.
Cherylk285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #5  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I owned my own business as well as teaching class at a private school...I took 2 weeks off but could have gone back at 1 1/2 weeks but I had NO complications...be aware that this is not always the case.

Wow, sounds like your job needs a chill pill or unionizing or something! LOL I better be careful, here in Idaho, them's fightin' words!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 11-12-2008 at 10:45 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:58 PM   #6  

Default Thanks

My job is totally not strenuous- not physically anyway. I sit at a desk and crunch numbers. I am hoping they may even let me work from home just half days for the first few so that I can stretch that time out however long I need to- an hour here take a nap- an hour there- take another nap....

Were any of you tired a lot after the surgery? I am having the laproscopic bypass.

Jiggly Wiggly, what kind of work do you do? Your employer sounds really harsh!!
Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #7  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Mine was Lap also...and I was more tired then normal for the first few days. The biggest thing is getting enough water, enough protein shakes down, getting all that to stay down and, for me, getting enough salt. My dr's nurse was good enough to tell me to drink salted bullion between "meals" as some of my fluids. It really was very helpful! Especially with the feeling of being tired. When I got the salt, I felt better.

Important to Sip Sip Sip...all day...everyday...water, shakes, bullion or whatever your surgeon or their NUT tells you to Sip.

Keep up the great questions!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 11-12-2008 at 11:07 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

any hope of taking short-term disability? the rules vary by state, but it might be worth looking into.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
any hope of taking short-term disability? the rules vary by state, but it might be worth looking into.
I was thinking the same thing. Aren't there laws about things like this (FMLA)? I believe any company with more than 50 employees is covered by FMLA.

Family and Medical Leave Act
Overview
Covered employers must grant an eligible employee up to a total of 12 workweeks of unpaid leave during any 12-month period for one or more of the following reasons:
  • for the birth and care of the newborn child of the employee;
  • for placement with the employee of a son or daughter for adoption or foster care;
  • to care for an immediate family member (spouse, child, or parent) with a serious health condition; or
  • to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #10  

Actually my boss probably would let me take the time off unpaid, however with our family's current financial situation I can't afford to lose out on the pay. If I can't make it back that quickly then I simply won't be able to, but I am praying for a quick recovery.
Best of luck to you as well Jiggly Wiggly
Old 11-13-2008, 10:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 260/146/140

Height: 5ft 4in

I can't take FMLA until next September and I was told short term disability is a no go since it is "a pre-existing condition" Geez, I'm fat and having RNY no DUH...it's pre-existing!!!! Anyway I have an easy job too. Sit at a desk, walk to the printer, take breaks when I want, lunch when I want...and my immediate supervisor is an angel....So very supportive of this decision and excited as well!! She also is not happy that I can't take a medical leave. I will get through this though. As long as everything goes alright!!! And if it causes more problems I will owbn the place!!!! LOL!!! Kidding!!
Jiggly Wiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #12  

Hang in there Jiggly Wiggly!!!