Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-10-2008, 09:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/245/217

Height: 5'1"

Default Finally Approved-how to prepare????

After 8 months of waiting I finally received my insurance approval in the mail today for gastric bypass. I thought the day would never come. I am super excited and also nervous. I will contact the surgeon's office tomorrow in case they haven't yet received word from my insurance What should I do to prepare before surgery???
chunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

I'm so happy for you. Make sure that you are reading everything you can about gastric bypass. "Weightloss Surgery for Dummies" is good. If you haven't sampled any protein mixes, you can start and do that thru Vitalady. They have sample packs that you don't have to spend a fortune on and then find out that you hate them. Make sure you have a good nutritionist to work with. Ask, ASK, ask questions!!! Read everything the doctor and NUT gives you and then read it again. We have a pre-surgery thread on this forum that you should read. Let us know when your surgery is scheduled.

Last edited by nanj; 11-10-2008 at 10:13 PM.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #3  

Default Thanks!!

Thanks Nanj-!!! I hope this reply goes through -I am still trying to figure out how to reply?? I haven't been on this site before!!
Old 11-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #4  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Nan is so right, read everything...go back through the threads and read, go to the presurgery shopping list...etc.

And remember, it's about the journey not just the destination! You have now entered the presurgery emotional rollercoaster! Buckle up, put your hands in the air and yell Woohoo!!! at every turn! It's scary and exciting, hair raising and FUN all roll up in one!

Deep breathing is a must LOL

Come here often and post your feelings, we get it and it helps to know that other people have done it before you!

Good luck and remember.......WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Congratulations !!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #6  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Have you been to the site www.obesityhelp.com- it is all weightloss surgery patients, so it appears to be extremely informative and provides people with alot of support. I am not a surgical weightloser but I have been to the site out of interest.
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #7  

Default Thank you

Thank you so much to all of you who replied. I never expected to feel so elated to read your responses. Everyone here DOES get it!!! I will definitely check out the website and totally appreciate the support. I start my pre surgery diet the Monday before Thanksgiving. I have been trying to think of things to keep myself busy so that I don't think about food. I think I am going to stay home from the in-laws food fest that day and maybe put up my Christmas tree. Any other ideas?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

oh chunky - you're in a tough position starting that pre-surgery diet during THANKSGIVING WEEK!!!!! good grief. almost cruel and unusual punishment, isn't it?

and instead of staying home from the food fest, perhaps you could just stop in for A LITTLE WHILE, and eat some turkey and vegs and whatever else you're permitted, and THEN LEAVE?

Also, you might find a SCHEDULE to be helpful - things like making an appt [and KEEPING it] to exercise. having tea/coffee with a friend - whatever it might be.

and now, for the one bit of advice that EVERYONE [just about] has said that has saved them - plan for something that will keep your hands busy!!!! we have several knitters/crocheters around here, artists, grandmas who run around after the young-uns. the key thing is to get involved with something that's not food-related, and that makes eating HARD TO DO while you're doing it.

we all have to face this at one point or another in our journeys, so dealing with it sooner rather than later gives you a leg up.

other ideas, folks??? i know you have them!!!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #9  

Hey Jiffy Pop- I will definitely try to keep myself on some kind of busy schedule especially during dinner time! I have some sewing that I have been putting off for quite some time so I might get some of that in. Seriously though it doesn't hurt my feelings to miss the in-law's Thanksgiving celebration. My mother-in-law is very judgmental of my weight. One time she even asked me how much I had gained since the last time she had seen me.
Of course she never says these things around my husband and I don't make it a point to tell him about it either. If he knew he would confront her about it and then they would fight and she would then blame the fight on me like she does everything else. Apparently she never wanted her Baby to get married- it's been 12 years- she should get over it! Honestly though, just being around her makes me completely self conscious. I have plans to put up all my Christmas stuff in the house the day of Thanksgiving while hubby and the kids are gone and then the rest of our extended weekend we can hang with each other- watch movies or play board games