General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Default Anyone in marketing?

Okay... I'm aware this isn't the ideal platform to ask this question, but I figure you ladies are so smart about everything else, that it doesn't hurt to ask!

So, I love, love, love advertsing, marketing, design, photography... all of it. I also want to be in management someday. So I'm going to school full time for all this (Bus Mgmt, Advertising, Marketing) but I'm only a year in and it'll take me at least 4 more years for finish - not including the master's I'm after (I work full time). The thought of waiting four+ years kills me! I've finally figured out what I want to do with my life and I'm ready to get going!
For a long time I've thought about someone in the industry to taking me under their wing and teaching me... showing me the ropes while I continue going to school. See, I figure this person would have a perfectly molded employee to fill in when they're gone or pass busy work off to. Maybe a business owner who wants someone they trust to *one day* run the majority of their business. Where do I look for something/someone like this? I've been scouring the classifieds and craigslist for months and found nothing. I've sent my resume to marketing firms with no response. I don't know how to get my foot in the door. I know once I get a shot, I'll do very well. I don't know where to begin. Any ideas? If you're in the industry, where did you start?
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Well, you show passion, so that is a great start!
I would seek out an internship, but not with a classic agency. There are so many companies out there that have marketing departments - I suggest starting there!
As someone who has worked in a division of a marketing company for 10 years, when we see eager people that are willing to work (for free - that's our benefit for showing you the ropes!) we are more than willing to help them out with wisdom / tricks of the trade/ experience. It benefits both parties.
piperboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Intern!!! Especially in marketing and advertising! I swear those industries are run on the backs of free labor

Does your college have a career center? Also, you could also go to your department's office or website and they will be chock full of information regarding internships. I did internships in promotions (concerts, radio, etc...) with Clear Channel and did one that related to marketing, events and public outreach with the Grammys in Nashville (best experience of my life). They were both unpaid, but for college credit. You will be lucky to find one that is paid, but they are out there. All of my internships (I've had 4) were through my school (that's a stipulation and how they get away with not paying you), so that would be the best place to start.

ETA: I didn't find my internships through the career center at my school, but I did have to go through them once I obtained it. I researched where I wanted to intern and what I wanted to do and then applied with the companies I wanted to work for. The career center only assisted with the paperwork after the fact.

Last edited by junebug41; 11-10-2008 at 02:15 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

When I was in college I did an internship my senior year in a Marketing Dept. of a hospital. Prior to that, I worked one summer in the advertising dept. of a major newspaper. It was the Classified Dept. but it was something. On a lesser scale, do you know any new local businesses just beginning? If so, approach the owner and tell them you want to help out promoting them. Brainstorm some ideas before meeting them so you will make it more appealing.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Thanks girls! I would love to do in internship! BUT I'm the main bread winner. The BF will be graduating in about two years, I could probably go for an internship around that time. But than again, I could work for the school newspaper making $6-8/hr. Not much, but it will pay the bills I'm responsible for.

But gosh... that's two years away. I'm just so ready!

Last edited by raw23; 11-10-2008 at 03:21 PM.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw23 View Post
Thanks girls! I would love to do in internship! BUT I'm the main bread winner. The BF will be graduating in about two years, I could probably go for an internship around that time. But than again, I could work for the school newspaper making $6-8/hr. Not much, but it will pay the bills I'm responsible for.

But gosh... that's two years away. I'm just so ready!
Depending on where you apply, you could work your schedule around it. In fact if I worked my internships full time, I would have been done in 3 weeks as I would have completed my hours. I worked about 30 hours a week at my regular job during my first internship. Perhaps your work would let you flex your schedule a little bit?
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote