Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/150/128

Height: 5'7

Default big calves....

hello everybody! I hope you are all well. I have a question, I big calves and I'm wondering if running will only make them bigger? I know you can't spot reduce but are there any exercises that will help tone and make them smaller?
justjenn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:21 AM   #2  
getting back on track!!

it's wierd u posted this. my aunt and i were talking about our big calves that run in the family. niether one of us have been able to figure out a way to make them smaller but if there is a way i'd love to hear about it too.
brandy922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:34 AM   #3  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I think this is just another "how you're made" things. Big thighs/calves run in my family too. When I lost weight, I lost it proportionally, but still have (relatively) larger thighs/calves than others. Running didn't make them bigger, but they didn't make them smaller either. It's not like there's a lot of fat there, I can see the muscles. I've just resigned myself to having "strong" calves ... I'm just made of that sturdy pioneer women stock, able to pull the wagons over the mountains .... There's worse things, I guess!!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #4  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Big calves were always my problem, too. It was impossible to find winter boots that would fit me. I always joked that if I need winter boots, I will have to fly to Europe (where I am originally from) - I was always able to find boots that would accommodate my calves. I bought my last pair of boots in Europe exactly a year ago (they are actually only mid-calf height) and you would not believe how loose they are. In February, I started walking on treadmill and eventually running, and I kept it up until end of August. I am doing less TM cardio these days due to a health problem but basically between February and September I walked or ran approximately 65 miles each month. My calves shrunk, together with the rest of my body.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #5  

<B>It was impossible to find winter boots that would fit me. </B>

see, that's kinda my problem too! I love the knee length boots, but it seems like they are made for woman with chicken legs or something.....siiigh
Old 11-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey, I am right there with you. I run everyday--usually 1.5 miles and then speedwalk the same distance. My calves have actually gone down. I don't know if I can credit that to running in addition to my weightloss. I can only say they look much better--not thin but at least thinner.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Hey, I am right there with you. I run everyday--usually 1.5 miles and then speedwalk the same distance. My calves have actually gone down. I don't know if I can credit that to running in addition to my weightloss. I can only say they look much better--not thin but at least thinner.
siigh...so it sounds like there is hope, but I wonder how much weight i would have to lose...

thanks everyone!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Another person here in the "large calves" club.

I have been dancing for years, speedwalking, doing yoga, and strength training.

No, they did not go down-as in, no, I am not getting slim chicken legs. But, yes, they have gotten firmer, more defined, more muscular looking.

However, when you lose weight, they will slim SOME, but if your body type has larger, stockier calves, you will probably STAY that way.

You can make yourself fitter, and slimmer, but you can't change your general body shape.

I have found that if you like boots, go to some of the online plus sized stores-like Roamans and Silhouettes. They have some GREAT boots that have a wider calf. (Even when I am at goal weight, it is still a tight fit for me to wear knee length boots off the rack in regular stores.)

You might also look for some of the knee length boots that have the stretch in them....

Here are some of the wide calf boots from Roamans (they have a size chart there to measure your calves at the fullest point, to make sure that they will fit!)

http://www.roamans.com/Plus-Size-Wid...x?DeptId=18233

Here is are the boots from Silhouettes. In each individual description, it lists the width of the boot shaft, so you can be sure that the style you like will accomodate your calves. I like the funky silver ones at the top of page 2:

http://www.silhouettes.com/Dept/Shoe...0/DBookmark/25
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote