Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #1  

Default Help....Plumbing backed up!

Hi,
I'm on my 3rd day of Phase 1 and find that I have not moved my bowels. I never had a problem in the past. Actually, I was quite regular (every day). What causes this? Is there something I should be taking to alleviate this. I have been drinking lots of fluids especially if you count all the tea I drink.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi, Realtor Rose! That's a common problem in Phase 1 (and one of the many reasons why no one should do it longer than the 2 weeks advised in the book).

As for fluids, you need to get lots of water--tea actually can make you more constipated from caffeine and (if green) diuretic properties. If your urine is very pale yellow, you're getting enough water. Otherwise, you need more. A pretty common recommendation is 64oz of plain water (not counting soft drinks, tea, etc.) a day.

Also, your bowels move when you move. Exercise is key to having regular bowels. If you haven't been doing a lot of regular exercising before Phase 1, it's not the best time to start a vigorous program, but you can definitely add in daily walks, which will help a lot.

In addition, take fiber supplements (Sugar Free Metamucil works for some, but it gives me gas, so I use Fiber Choice sugar free tablets) and make sure you're eating fiber, including beans. You'll be fine very soon.

Here's a discussion on this that might give you more ideas: Constipation
and one more that also might help: SBD & Constipation

Last edited by beachgal; 11-05-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

That's a pretty common problem, especially in Phase 1. Metamucil helps, and also drink plenty of water. I think we have a thread or two in the FAQs addressing this issue, too.
Another thing that helps a lot, BEANS!
Old 11-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 238/Tick/185

Height: 5' 8"

YEP....just got over it...eat beans A LOT!!! Well your serving amount, but make sure you get them! I made some nice P1 turkey chili!!
Old 11-05-2008, 11:07 PM   #5  

Thanks everyone. It's comforting to know that what I am experiencing is normal. I do exercise but I'll definitely eat more beans!!! I'm still a bit confused though, what in Phase II makes it stop.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

It's the fiber, RR. At least, that's my understanding. In Phase 2, you eat more foods with fiber (fruit, grains) and that helps make everything move along, so to speak. Plus, many of those items (especially fruit) have a lot of liquid, which helps, too.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #7  

Thanks Laurie...can't wait to get to Phase II...I really miss fruit.
Closed Thread