Old 10-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #1  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Default Any 40 somethings back in college?

Hi y'all...I've been on 3FC for almost 4 years and have never posted on this particular forum!

I started back to college to finish a degree I started 23 years ago! Anyone else back in school?
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #2  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

I just finished after six years! Got my B.A. yea!!!!!! Now if I could only get a new job doing what I went to school for...boy this economy stinks.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #3  
Shairing her ESH...

It does indeed! I am getting my degree in Medical Assisting (a fast growing field). I am using it as a stepping stone for nursing school.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I have been considering going back to do a masters. As I get older, I am thinking about workload issues and changes, and doing the masters will let me teach, and do less clinical work. (I am a midwife) this is appealing as a career exit strategy, but the energy to do the program is a bit of a worry.
thanks for the thread. I will be interested to hear from people.
At least the kids are grown....my youngest is 16, my older daughter just convocated from her BA and has started a masters, thus inspiring me.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 256/242.1/175

Height: 5'3"

What a great thread! I've been considering doing school online. I've taken courses towards my BA (in psychology) but never finished. Now I realize you can't do much with a BA in psychology anyway, so I'm thinking to do course online towards something more marketable. I keep hearing that the health fields are the best to go into since our population is aging. So maybe OT or PT. Have any of you done courses online?
avi0903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #6  
Shairing her ESH...

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi0903 View Post
I keep hearing that the health fields are the best to go into since our population is aging. So maybe OT or PT. Have any of you done courses online?
The health field is definitely growing! (I don't think I mentioned what I'm studying--I am studying for my certification as a medical assistant.) Many of my courses are online ones, and I really enjoy them! I do enjoy my classroom courses too--getting to meet people in the flesh is pretty cool!

I am enjoying my classes more as an adult than I did as a teen going to college. I was more interested in the social aspects back then! I appreciate my education much more now!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #7  

Thanks for the info!
Old 11-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #8  
Waves of Change

S/C/G: 201/178/170

Height: 5' 8", wishing I were 6' 4" :)

I have been exploring this just this week! I am basically starting out at zero...only have a few college credits under my belt.
suenami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #9  

I just applied for FAFSA to help with the cost, and I am just waiting for the college to process my paperwork. I'm so excited to start! I'm going to start with 2 online courses, not sure which ones yet.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #10  
Madeleine

Thumbs up decisions decisions

I am pretty sure I will do the masters of public health.
Decision will get made next week.

Heres the thing:
I have a job with crazy hours since I work on call. So in a two week period, I will work 6-8 hours for 4 or 5 days, and 2 8-16 hour days or nights on call. I will have 3.5 days OFF. I also do additional work to run the business, and supervise students, and do volunteer work.
BUT, sometimes there is more night work, and sometimes it is busier and sometimes not so much.
I have been thinking a lot about where I want to be in 5 years, or 10.
I am 47 years old, and the back and forth hours are getting to me. For the first 10 years, I would say it wasn't really a problem.
So I am thinking about stuff. I sit on a board of directors, so I could get more politically active and there are paid positions that come along.
I just don't have a vision for this association that I feel I could contribute.
So another avenue is teaching, at the classroom level. That requires a Masters degree. I am also interested in International work and the Masters I am considering would fit nicely into that.
I have a 2.5 day board meeting next week, and will make my final decision after that, so I can consult with colleagues, but I am really leaning to do the degree.
WOW, as I write this, I can see the decision is pretty much made.
Maybe I will get my masters at the same time as my oldest daughter!
fatmad
Old 11-14-2008, 11:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/264/120

Height: 5ft.3

Yup, working on my phd - have been putting it off for years (other priorities, family stuff); now it is time to finalise things. It is much more difficult than when I was in my 20's and even 30's. Don't you sometimes feel like you need to make an extra-effort and not lose your motivation? Or is it just me?
fractal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 150/146/105

Height: 4'11

Default School also

I have also started going back to school back in July. Graduate in May. I go to Apollo College and getting my degree in Medical Assisting. Started working as an NAR and did like it just not my co-workers (lazy).
I am actually having fun now in my 40s in school and doing much much better than when I was in my 20s. Now if only I could get my weight loss under control.
Have to go workout and study. Hope to share more on days I have time.
Take care,
Cindy

Last edited by CyndiSt; 11-16-2008 at 01:00 PM.
CyndiSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #13  
It's a New Day!!

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Default This 40 Something Can't Get Enough Schooling!

This is my first day being on 3FC and I found your post. Hmmm...maybe I'm meant to be here. I received my BA almost 20 years ago, but am no longer happy with my career choices. Thus, I started back to school to earn a degree in Sign Language Interpretation. I'm extremely jazzed about the future, but it is a very stressful time, which only adds to my weight issues.

Last edited by 40 Something; 11-20-2008 at 02:28 PM.
40 Something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #14  
Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Something View Post
This is my first day being on 3FC and I found your post. Hmmm...maybe I'm meant to be here. I received my BA almost 20 years ago, but am no longer happy with my career choices. Thus, I started back to school to earn a degree in Sign Language Interpretation. I'm extremely jazzed about the future, but it is a very stressful time, which only adds to my weight issues.
Actually, the more I am working my way through 3FC, the more I think times of stress are good times to do diet and lifestyle work.
I am understanding that we need the healthy ways to deal with stress, instead of unhealthy food choices, bingeing, and overworking so we have no time for exercise.
Instead, we need to focus on good nutrition, exercise and meditation and/or prayer to help us with the stresses of life.
Just like an alcoholic has to learn how to deal with celebrations and stress without a drink.
I know not all of us are true food addicts though.
But I think that if we only can keep to our diets/woes and exercise regimes when life is straightforward, we will not feel the rewards of our readjusted lifestyles, which can help us through the hard times. (at least I hope they can)
I have decided to go ahead with a masters, not sure if I will do the public health or go into workplace health issues tho. And I know I will not start it this year if I can't deal with seasonal stressors, like the holidays, my dad's upcoming surgery or my secondment to negotiations team with the health ministry.
These are things that are going to be part of my life, no matter what, in the next few years. As will the ups and downs of course work. So if I can't deal with the everyday and stick with my lifestyle changes, I wouldn't start the degree.
So all of you who are taking the plunge into school, take heart, go for it, go for it healthy.
( I just got back from Pilates class and am a bit jazzed, sorry if I rant )
fatmad
Old 11-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #15  
Stay Healthy

S/C/G: 152/134/125

Height: 5'4"

Default School

I'm in the Nursing program and will Have my LPN in May and my RN in May of 2010. Hard work and a lot of stresss, stresssss. LOL I'm going to be 42 in Feb. so I'm trying to drop 25pounds so I can be healthy and strong minded and positive to do this..... Well talk at you later. Oh good luck in school and dropping the unwanted pounds.
Littlelindy
littlelindy is offline   Reply With Quote