Old 08-18-2004, 05:33 PM   #1  

Height: 5'-2"

Default SBD Holiday Side Dishes (various phases)

Recipes here:
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:57 PM   #2  

Default Low Calorie Cranberry Sauce

Low Calorie Cranberry Sauce

1 (12-ounce) package Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries, rinsed and drained.
1 cup water or fruit juice
Sugar substitute to taste
Combine cranberries and water in a saucepan. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature. Stir in sugar substitute.
Refrigerate until serving time.
Makes 2 1/4 cups or 9 (1/4 cup) servings.

Note: Special diet cranberry sauces made without sugar or with sugar substitutes do not gel.

Nutritional Facts Per Serving: Cal. 21 (1%DV), Total Fat 0grams, Chol. 0mg, Sodium 7mg (<1%DV), Pot. 39mg (1%DV), Total Carb. 5grams (2%DV), Dietary Fiber 1gram (5%DV), Sugars 1gram, Protein 0grams, Vitamin C 13mg (21%DV), Dietary Exchange: Fruit 0.5

Recipe courtesy of Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc.

Here is a different recipe:

Equal®'s Cranberry Sauce

2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup Equal® Spoonful*

Directions
1 Combine cranberries and water in medium saucepan. Bring just to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until skins pop.
2 Remove from heat; mash slightly. Stir in Equal®. Cover and chill.

* May substitute 16 packets Equal® sweetener

Makes 12 servings

Last edited by Barb0522; 08-19-2004 at 04:17 PM.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:26 PM   #3  

So this will be liquidy? I am confused about the side note: Note: Special diet cranberry sauces made without sugar or with sugar substitutes do not gel. Can we add come sugar free cranberry jello?
kvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:35 PM   #4  

I'm not sure. I'm going to try the recipe as is with Splenda and see what it is like. The problem may only occur with Equal but I'm going to keep researching or experimenting. I believe I could add some Sure Gel from my canning supplies if necessary although I need to check to make sure the ingredients are okay for us to use.

I did find this:
Jams made without added table sugar require no-sugar-needed pectins for the jelling process. Do not use Sure Gel , Sure Gel Lite, or Certo, they will not set in jams made with Equal. Bernardin No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin is available in stores throughout Canada

and for Splenda it looks like Fruit Gel will work:
MAKING JELLIES AND JAMS WITH SPLENDA
Regular pectin needs sugar and acid to gel. Jams and jellies made with SPLENDA® Granular must use low methoxyl pectin with calcium added. Even though SPLENDA® Granular is made from sugar, it does not act like sugar in every cooking and baking application. Regular pectin and even some no-sugar needed pectin will not gel with SPLENDA® Granular. The SPLENDA® test kitchen has made successful batches of jam and jelly using Pomona's Universal Pectin** and Mrs. Wages Lite Home Jell***. Both of these brands have added monocalcium phosphate, which allows the pectin to set without sugar. Read the ingredient list on the side of the pectin box to find out if your brand has added monocalcium phosphate. Always check with pectin manufacturer's instructions before making jams or jellies.

*Low methoxyl pectin with calcium added is a type of pectin that does not need sugar to gel. Always follow pectin manufacturers' instructions for canning as the amount of pectin needed varies from brand to brand.

** Pomona's Universal Pectin® is a trademark of Workstead Industries Mail orders only Phone: 1 (413) 772-6816.

*** Mrs. Wages Lite Home Jell is a trademark of Precisions Foods. Available at most large grocery store or call Toll free 1 (800) 647-8170.

Last edited by Barb0522; 08-19-2004 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:42 AM   #5  

FYI - I tried this recipe a few years ago, and it was runny and kind of bitter with a bad aftertaste. I think it definatly needs something to make it jell, and I don't think I'd use as much artificial sweetener and just let the taste of the cranberries carry the recipe.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:02 AM   #6  

Did you use Equal or Splenda? I'm willing to experiment. My son loves cranberry sauce and I'd even be willing to make it will part sugar part Splenda if that is what it takes to make it healthier for him. I don't eat too much of it. I'll have to look for the right kind of Pectin, though.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:11 AM   #7  

Wow, ladies, I am such an amateur! I have no idea about pectin, or making homemade jams. I wish I could help in the experimentation process, but I'd prolly just put up a bunch of posts asking ?s and complicating your lives. I will definitely be waiting for the results of your experiments! Thanks!
kvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 09:22 PM   #8  

Tonight I tried it with a package of fresh cranberries, one cup of water and one cup of Splenda. I brought the water and Splenda to a boil and then added in the berries and simmered them for 10 minutes. I stirred occasionally. Most of the berries popped and when they were done, I strained them through a wire strainer and then popped it in the freezer to cool quickly. I like it as is but my son needed extra Splenda. It was quite thick even without adding any pectin so I will probably just serve it as is for Thanksgiving.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Default Cracked wheat stuffing

I found this off the Bodsredmill.com site. I'm going to make it for my dinner

Bob's stone cracked wheat stuffing

1/2 cup butter (I'll probably use Smart Balance)
1/2 cut vegetable oil (I'll use olive oil)
1/2 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrots
3 cups uncooked cracked wheat
1-3/4 t. salt
1 t dried parsley
1/2 t. rubbed sage
1-3/4 t. poultry seasoning
1/4 t. black pepper
5 cups water
1 cup chopped walnuts

In a heavy 3 qt pan with lid, melt butter and add oil. Add celery, onions and carrots; saute 10 minutes then add cracked wheat and herbs. Stir and lightly brown about 5 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil; cover and simmer gently for about 25 mintues.

Stuff overn ready turkey and roast bird immediatley. OR, chill cracked wheat stuffing and stuff the bird the next day.

I'm planning on baking it in a pan, this year I'm getting a Butterball smoked turkey. I won't be stuffing it. The smoked turkey is very good. I got one a couple years ago. I'll just leave it in the oven either until the turkey is hot or the top is browning too much.

Last edited by beachgal; 10-29-2008 at 10:22 AM.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 05:30 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb0522
Tonight I tried it with a package of fresh cranberries, one cup of water and one cup of Splenda. I brought the water and Splenda to a boil and then added in the berries and simmered them for 10 minutes. I stirred occasionally. Most of the berries popped and when they were done, I strained them through a wire strainer and then popped it in the freezer to cool quickly. I like it as is but my son needed extra Splenda. It was quite thick even without adding any pectin so I will probably just serve it as is for Thanksgiving.
How about using Knox gelatin?
Goin' Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 09:06 AM   #11  

I would think that would work. I also saw a pectin in the grocery store that is designed to be used without sugar. I picked some up but haven't tried it yet.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:16 AM   #12  
kpw

Cranberries and apples have a lot of natural pectin so using sugar or not really has nothing to do with the consistency. I've made my cranberry sauce for the last several years with Splenda instead of sugar and as long as you cook the sauce until the berries pop (I usually let mine go for about 10 minutes), it will gel just fine. This year I added fresh grated ginger, orange peel, the juice of two oranges (to replace some of the liquid) and some crystalized ginger to mine. YUMMY! Can't wait to have it on my turkey today!
kpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:20 AM   #13  

Default Spicy Cranberry Sauce

I don't see the Cranberry Sauce recipe that I use all the time now so I'll post it. I hope it isn't posted somewhere else.

Cranberry Sauce
Combine and cook about 8 minutes until the skins pop:
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (one bag 12-16 oz)
2 TBSP water

Stir in: 2 TBSP grated orange peel
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup sugar (I use Splenda)

Bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook about a half hour.
This can be served warm or cold. It does thicken up perfectly when you chill it. It is also great to free extra and then thaw to eat. You can serve it with poultry, pork or even as a ham glaze.

Even my 8 year old has now decided he likes this better than the canned.

Last edited by beachgal; 10-29-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #14  

Default Dressed Up Brussels Sprouts

This is a great low carb side dish: Dressed Up Brussels Sprouts
"A quick and easy side dish from the microwave. Combining Brussels sprouts with kielbasa sausage and tomato juice is a new twist on a familiar favorite."
INGREDIENTS

* 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen brussel sprouts
* 6 ounces diced kielbasa sausage
* 1 cup tomato-vegetable juice cocktail
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 tablespoon butter

DIRECTIONS

1. Place Brussels sprouts in a 2 quart microwave safe casserole dish, cover, and cook 8 minutes.
2. Stir in kielbasa, tomato juice, pepper, salt, garlic powder, butter and oregano. Cover and return to microwave and cook for 8 minutes more.

Last edited by beachgal; 10-30-2008 at 09:37 AM.
KillTheBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #15  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Default Sourdough Stuffing with Pears and Sausage

This is the stuffing recipe I've used for the last two years. Everyone really liked it at our family Thanksgivings. I've tried this stuffed in a turkey and baked in a pan. It's good both ways...a bit wetter when in the turkey and a bit crispier when in the pan. Very, very yummy!

Quote:
Sourdough Stuffing with Pears and Sausage

Sourdough bread gives the stuffing a tangier flavor than French bread, but you can use the latter in a pinch. [This is in the Cooking Light recipe, though I wouldn't do it--French bread isn't SBD-safe.]

8 cups (1/2-inch) cubed sourdough bread (about 12 ounces)
1 pound turkey Italian sausage
Cooking spray
5 cups chopped onion (about 2 pounds)
2 cups chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrot
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled Bartlett pear (about 2 medium)
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 425°.
Arrange bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 9 minutes or until golden. Place in a large bowl.

Remove casings from sausage. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage, and cook for 8 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add sausage to bread cubes, tossing to combine. Set aside.

Return pan to medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot; sauté 10 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Stir in mushrooms; cook 4 minutes. Stir in pear, basil, tarragon, and salt; cook 4 minutes or until pear begins to soften, stirring occasionally. Add pear mixture to bread mixture, tossing gently to combine. Stir in broth and pepper.

Place bread mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; cover with foil. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake stuffing an additional 15 minutes or until top of stuffing is crisp.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)

CALORIES 199 (24% from fat); FAT 5.2g (sat 1.6g,mono 1.5g,poly 1g); PROTEIN 10.7g; CHOLESTEROL 23mg; CALCIUM 54mg; SODIUM 684mg; FIBER 3.4g; IRON 1.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 28.6g

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2005

Last edited by beachgal; 10-30-2008 at 09:37 AM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote