Old 10-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Default Butternut Squash Lasagna

Butternut Squash Lasagna

Pierce a whole butternut squash with a cooking fork and microwave it for about 12 minutes. Let it cool for at least an hour. Then cut the ends off, cut the squash in half, and remove the seeds. Place it cut side down on a cutting board and slice each half into 1/2" thick slices, then peel the skin off each slice. It will come off easily.

3 cups marinara sauce (I make an arrabiata or diavolo)
8 oz. LF ricotta
2 cups shredded LF mozzarella
16 oz. sliced mushrooms
shredded parmesan

In a 9 X 12" baking dish sprayed with Pam, put about 1/3 cup of the sauce. Place a layer of the squash over the sauce, filling in the gaps with pieces of the squash. Layer with the mushrooms, the ricotta, 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese, and 1 cup of the sauce. Top with another layer of the squash, then the remaining sauce. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella over all, and top with a sprinkling of the parmesan cheese.
Bake in a preheated 350* oven for about 40-45 minutes. This makes 12 generous servings.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I've been wanting to try this for a while, but wasn't sure I would like it. I just couldn't wrap my head around the combination, but figured if cottage posted it, it must be good!
It is! I really liked it.
I added an egg and some Parmesan cheese to the ricotta. Also, don't like mushrooms, so I sauteed some green pepper and onion instead. I made a tactical error when I cooked my butternut squash and froze it until I was ready to make the lasagna. When it thawed, it lost a ton of water and turned really mushy. Would have been fine for soup, but made it hard to layer. Still very delicious, and cuts the sweetness of the squash really well.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #3  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I'm going to make this tomorrow, except I'm going to make it in the crockpot using a tried and true crockpot lasagna recipe. It's just too hot to use the oven. I'll let you know how it turns out! I can't wait.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 183.0/177/145

Height: 5'4

I am going to try this tomorrow. Sounds great.
Mirabai7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I am in the process of making this but it's already a giant fail. My squash is far too soft to cut into slices. Maybe because I used a fairly small one. I microwaved it for 10 minutes and it's too soft. I may try to make this anyway using a layered technique with the soft squash on the bottom.

The flavour combination will work well, I think. Butternut squash ravioli with tomato sauce is delicious, so this should be too.

Last edited by fozentusic; 03-06-2011 at 09:31 AM.
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #6  
myownskin

S/C/G: 171/169/153

Height: 5'6"

Sounds great. I'm just starting Phase 2 and I need some new ideas. Thanks!
zinniasbloom is offline   Reply With Quote