General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2001, 08:15 PM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Positive Eating Plan aka
Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed 42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine

Here is the website address for the Prevention Millennium Diet.
http://www.prevention.com/2000/diet/index.html

This is not necessarily a vegetarian diet. The guidelines summarized above are just that. In interpreting the guidelines, it is helpful to read the sample menus on the website as well as the more detailed principals of the diet.
Old 02-27-2001, 08:28 PM   #2  
Chick

Hey girls. I'm not sure it is necessarily a Canadian thing about the posole. My friends didn't know what it was, I'm not even sure when I heard of it. Probably when I was reading a cookbook. The closest thing to it is hominy (I made this once before w/ canned hominy because I couldn't fine posole and it was good, but not AS good, for one thing it doesn't cook as long and soak up all the flavor). I just looked up posole in my calorie counter and it isn't there, neither is hominy, but under hominy grits it is listed at about 145 cal. a cup. The recipe doesn't have fat in it so depending on the garnishes you use it could be pretty reasonable calorie wise. Of course shredded cabbage would be more low cal than tortilla strips. I served it at a dinner party w/ avacado, cheese, tortilla strips, cilantro, white onion, salsa, and lime. I have a hard time finding it too, I think I may have even bought mine in N.M. this summer, but I think I have seen it in the health food store in the big city. I bought blue posole, it is huge kernels of dried corn.

Well 50 threads girls. That is a milestone I would say! I am using it as an excuse to think about where I want to be at 100 threads. I am ready to get serious here. I feel so much better when I am serious about it.

Hope you guys have a great day.
Old 02-28-2001, 12:21 AM   #3  
Chick

!!!LATE BREAKING NEWS!!! I just made the down payment on my kayak. I am getting just the one I wanted. A blue expedition America by Perception. Yippee, I am so excited. It will be here in a couple of weeks

I was so excited, I guess it may have been the reason I got up the nerve to weigh. Some damage, but not as bad as I expected - I am motivated to take care of it.
Old 02-28-2001, 03:51 AM   #4  

WOW!!! You are doing it!!! That is so great! And a blue one too. You are going to have so much fun. CONGRATS! you really do lead'em!!

Thanks for the posole info. Now something else. DO you think it is possible to make a veg. jambalaya or will the taste all be lost without the sea food & meat? I can make a roux.

Baking bread and making a stew for supper. I am going to watch a movie this afternoon.

Again way to GOOOO!! Ledom!!
Old 02-28-2001, 07:35 AM   #5  
Goddess

How exciting, ledom! My favorite color, too. We'll be looking forward to seeing some pix of you in your kayak.

I had my eye exam today and I'm a great candidate for the LASIK surgery. It's scheduled for 11am on Friday, March 9th. I'm nervous but excited - sort of like waiting to get on the roller coaster.

Donna
Old 02-28-2001, 10:51 AM   #6  

Hi Ladies,

How is everyone doing? Sorry I haven't posted, but have been busy with work. Congratulations Ledom on your kayak!!!! How exciting for you especially with spring right around the corner. I saw the picture of you and Donna....it is so nice to place a face with a name. Donna, your granddaughter really is adorable. Judi, if your jambalaya turns out, I want the recipe. Things are just as busy as ever. I'm still trying to work out 3-4 times a week, plus watch the food intake. I heard it's harder to maintain
your weight loss than actually losing. I'm beginning to think that's true. I'm going to try to start adding 100 calories a day for a few weeks....then another 100 calories until I reach a calorie intake where I can maintain my weight. I'll have to get a scanner so I can show ya'll my before/after pics. Talk to ya'll later.

------------------
shebacat
Old 02-28-2001, 05:54 PM   #7  
Chick

Hey there, Shebacat - how many calories a day did you do on your losing program? I think you will be successful with maintaining, I just have a feeling about it. I think it is important to not stress over it.

You know, just when you think Spring is around the corner it gets cold again. We have been having a ton of rain. Trying not complain though after the drought we had last summer. I read in the paper this morning that one of my favorite trails has reopened so I hope to try it out this weekend.

judi, I looked in my two favorite vegetarian cookbooks for jambalaya and didn't see anything. I do have a low cal recipe for it w/ just shrimp that I used to make. I haven't experimented much with the meat substitutes but maybe that would be the way to go in coming up with your own recipe. I'll keep my eye open for a recipe.

Have a good day.
Old 02-28-2001, 11:11 PM   #8  

hi everyone, well here i am. i first posted that i wanted to join you gals but pressed post and it went on another thread. thanks ledmom for the tip, duh.
ive made some changes, adding more fruit /veg ea. day and watching the fat. we are eating up our stock of "white" breads and replacing w/whole wheat. slow- but i want to stick. and im gettin in a cup of tea a day
very stressful time in our house. we are moving, ugg. i find myself getting grouchier than normal. today will be getting the dog set for the plane flight- she needs a carrier and if she cant fit in large size she'll have to go on cargo flight not with us. i just cant stand the thought of her flying across country by herself. maybe ill go in cargo with her, sounds better than long flight with 2 toddlers.
Old 03-01-2001, 03:27 AM   #9  

Hi Ladies!

We'll keep you in mind on Friday, Bannod. A neighbor of ours had Lasik surgery because he played baseball and didn't want to wear his glasses. He is happy with it. Soon it will be over and you will have "new" eyes.

Shebacat how much exercise and what type did you do? I am very interested in that. Anyway you are an inspiration that is for sure. It is nice to know someone did it! It makes me hope again.

Ledom, thanks for looking. Often you don't even need a meat substitute because the seasonings will give it the same flavour. Yesterday when I made the stew, I used the garlic soup instead of water and 1/2 a package of "stew seasoning mix", 2 imitation beef boullion cubes and 1 small package Bovril veg. broth seasoning and the gravy tastes just like gravy if one had meat in the stew. (the veg. were potatoes, carrots, parsnip, turnip, chick peas and onion.) I browned the onions first and then let it all cook in the oven. I am hoping I can fake it with the jambalaya recipe. I have made paella without the sea food too. I tasted the real thing in Spain when I was in my twenties (many moons ago).

Hi peapod and WELCOME! Where are you moving to? What kind of a dog do you have? I have two Lhasa's who travel with us but we have never flown with them. We also have an Akita but he always goes to the kennel and doesn't come with us. I notice more and more though when flying people bringing on very small dogs (in the cabin) so far I haven't heard one make any noise. I think it is good. You sound very busy ... good for you though for taking on a new way of eating even in this busy time.

Hi Lana! How are you doing?

No news here, my BP medication is making tired though. It is kind of a drag but I can't stop taking it because it is working so...I don't like this dragged out feeling. It really makes me feel like NOT exercising especially. Doing o.k. food wise.

[This message has been edited by judi (edited 02-28-2001).]
Old 03-01-2001, 08:55 AM   #10  
Chick

Welcome peapod, what a cute username. You have 2 very young children, you are in the middle of moving, what a busy lady you must be. Yeah, I find that giving up refined flour products really does help and the whole grains are much more filling.

My D is 17 today. So hard to believe, I know there is more raising to be done, but I feel a huge accomplishment at having gotten her this far and to have survived myself. I feel that she could make it on her own if she had to, heaven forbid. I don't mean to be morbid, more of an expression of relief I think. And celebration, she is a wonderful girl. Quite a bit of celebrating with food tonight. I feel good though. I had 4 vegetables for lunch, only an orange for the afternoon. We ate at her favorite Mexican restaurant tonight and had birthday cake afterwards. I had a piece and despite the fact 3/4 of it is left on my kitchen counter, I plan to stop at one piece.

The last few nights I have been warding off evening munchies with that 25 cal. a cup hot chocolate, seems to be holding me through to bed time.

judi, that stew sounds so good. Wish I could have a taste.
Old 03-01-2001, 11:31 PM   #11  

Mornin' everyone!

As you have probably heard we had a little unwelcome excitement in this corner of the world a 6.8 earthquake. I was napping when it happened and I thought "Why is the dog jumping around on the bed like that and making it shake?" He probably thought the same thing about me otherwise we both would have been scared to death. My cousin who lives in Olympia waited it out under her dining room table and said it seemed like the shaking was going on for ever, her floor just kept rippling. In a school in South Vancouver, a class was having an earthquake drill and the kids were already under their desks when they felt a for real earthquake. The day was probably much less boring for them after that.

So yesterday evening there was more wine drinking then eating around here.

Today I am going out on the trails for a little hike. Snow is totally gone. Yahoo!!!

Hope everything is going well for you all!

p.s. Your daughter's birthday sounded great Ledom. Give yourself a pat on the back, raising a child is a BIG accomplishment!

[This message has been edited by judi (edited 03-01-2001).]
Old 03-02-2001, 04:57 AM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Hello Girls,

How is everyone? I'm good and busy of course, DH is back in town, but with 2 kids of course things get hectic... I have a son 12, 13 in May, daughter 10, 25 in September...LOL...She makes me laugh tho, she's full of energy, and we have fun ... Son is quiet like his dad...

I've been doing ok on the food, not great tho, and exercise wise, well I really don't have a problem with that, I like to exercise...

Donna finally I saw the pic of you and Ledom, it is sooo very nice to put face to the names.

We were just talking today in the office about teens, (well we do work in a high school), but one of the secretary's, her daughter started HS this year and she saw a big turn around in her daughter's attitude... We were just trying to figure them out... So hats off to you Ledom, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, to your wonderful daughter... It sure ain't easy, and I think about it daily when I see the kids in school... Some are excellent, and you hear them talk to their parents on the phone and say very plainly "I love you Mom, see you later" ... and they are not embarrased at all about it... that is wonderful to see... On the other hand there are some that are quite rude... But the nice ones outnumber the bad ones, so that is very encouraging....

Ledom, congrats on your kayak, I bet you can't wait to try it...that should be sooo much fun....

Well see you later girls,

Take care....

Lana... ...

[This message has been edited by Lanaii1 (edited 03-01-2001).]
Old 03-02-2001, 05:34 AM   #13  
Chick

Oh my gosh judi, I didn't even think about you being affected by the earthquake! That was some unwelcome excitement. Did you have any damage?

I'm going to see Chocolat with a friend tonight - we are big Johnie Depp fans. By the way, didn't get to see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon yet but it is on my list.

Now judi, how can you and DH, vegetarians, in good concious go see Hannibel. LOL, just giving you a hard time - I am too much of a sissy for scary movies. Give me a good love story any day.

Food is great, exercise still not there. Lana I like to exercise too, but somehow have fallen out of the habit with my busy schedule the last couple of months. Got to turn that around.
Old 03-02-2001, 05:51 AM   #14  

Hi all! Raining here all day so I have been cooking. I made the sauce for the Penne alla Vodka on the Veg. thread. It is VERY good!!! I also made a lima bean, carrot and pot barley salad. Plus a cherry pie...yeah, I know that last one isn't on PMD.

Ledom, we didn't have any damage. Thank goodness. Have fun at "Chocalat". That looks like a good movie.

About "Hannibal"...people eating is o.k., animal eating is not. JUST KIDDING!!! I love scary movies. "Silence of the Lambs" was one of my favourites. We still haven't gone to "Hannibal". We got lazy on the DH's holiday and didn't make it of the island. Maybe next week.

So have fun (skip supper) and have show popcorn. Always a wise choice.

[This message has been edited by judi (edited 03-01-2001).]
Old 03-02-2001, 09:32 AM   #15  
Goddess

Good evening, Ladies!

Hi there, Peapod! I flew with my chihuahua once -- it was okay, but I don't think I'd want to do it again. A lot of bother, really.

I just got back from the OBOES (Ol' Broads Out Eating Supper) meeting. I was good - had a grilled chicken salad, dressing on the side, and water to drink. Then I came home and devoured a Blue Bunny Fudge Lite (35 calories).

I stopped at Walgreens and picked the antibiotic drops I'm supposed to use in my eyes after surgery. Holy Smoke! It's a 5ml bottle and it cost $45.99. I tell ya, I'm in the wrong business!

I want to see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon also. Well, I really want to see Chow Yun-Fat. What a hottie! He was great in Anna and the King. He's around my age, which makes him all the more desirable.

Ledom, what hot chocolate is only 25 cals a cup? Could use some of that here tonight -- it's cold! I'm making do with a large cup of green tea with lemon.

Well, it's already past my bedtime. Goodnight all!

Donna
Closed Thread