Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #1  

Smile Am i Doing this correctly?

Hi everyone!!! hope you guys can give some opinion on this...i'm kinda lost..

I'm in the process of losing some weight. At first, I started out to workout by doing stair walking 20 minutes everyday. I do stretching and crouches 5 days a week. ( I was not allow to go out, so i can't do jogging nor my house have a treadmill, so i resolve to stair walking)

After about 2 weeks, my calves got thicker with all the stair walking. Is all muscle....i was almost sobbing that time. Then, I found some pilates DVD that my mom has. I went on to try pilates for a week and i notice my leg are getting less muscular and toning up.

I was wondering if i should continue stair walking or i should just leave it and focus on pilates instead? Is callenatics same as pilates? I found one very old tape in the store room...thought of using it....any idea? and...I can't really control my appetite and i love to bite...so I thought of getting raisin to bite in case my urge is too strong...do you think is good for weight loss?

Thank you for reading my post.
mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 244/ticker!/140

Height: 5'7"

I can't help much with the exercise, as I have never done yoga/callanetics, but I would be careful using raisins as your "go-to" snack, because they are very calorie dense. (There are quite a few calories in a small amount of any dried fruit, so you need to be careful about portioning them out.) If you want something you can snack on with no guilt all day, you should use something with a very low density of calories, like raw veggies (carrots, bell peppers, celery, brocoli florets, etc, etc -- also very tasty dipped in hummus or non-fat yogurt!). Another good snack is chicken broth: there are only 10 calories in a cup, it fills the tummy, and because it's a hot liquid you actually have to take time and think while eating it, so you can't just much away. Another snack I use is air-popped (not from a bag!) popcorn. You get a lot for your calories with popcorn if you make sure to eat it kernal-by-kernal.
rubbytummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #3  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

Callanetics is very similar to pilates. All it is is muscle isolation. It is a very good work out. You can always combine the exercise. Do the stairs 3 days a week, and callanetics 2 and pilates 2. Give your body a variety so it doesnt get bored or used to what you are doing
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:24 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbytummy View Post
I can't help much with the exercise, as I have never done yoga/callanetics, but I would be careful using raisins as your "go-to" snack, because they are very calorie dense. (There are quite a few calories in a small amount of any dried fruit, so you need to be careful about portioning them out.) If you want something you can snack on with no guilt all day, you should use something with a very low density of calories, like raw veggies (carrots, bell peppers, celery, brocoli florets, etc, etc -- also very tasty dipped in hummus or non-fat yogurt!). Another good snack is chicken broth: there are only 10 calories in a cup, it fills the tummy, and because it's a hot liquid you actually have to take time and think while eating it, so you can't just much away. Another snack I use is air-popped (not from a bag!) popcorn. You get a lot for your calories with popcorn if you make sure to eat it kernal-by-kernal.
Thanks for your advice!!!! That's a great help!

CandyKisses0204.--> Ooo......alternating i good. Thank you.
mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Stair climbing is a great fat burning cardio and alternating all the work outs throughout the week is a great idea.

Your calves may feel thicker because there is a layer of fat on top of the muscles you have developped ... Just keep working out and watching what you eat and you will lose weight... I also agree that dry fruits are not best to munch on a regular basis, stick to real fruits or raw veggies are really the best...

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote