Old 10-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #1  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Smile It works! My life is changed forever.

Ok so I've posted about this book before, of course I love it, I really feel it's changed my life. I feel and look so much better and its only been almost 2 months. I eat as much as I want and I eat soy-icecram everyday. My taste buds are completely different now. I have a long binge history and since I can eat as much as I want (and still lose weight) I havn't had one binge!
All thanks to the book Skinny B****. Here is an interview they gave:

http://www.thedietchannel.com/

(edited due to copyright)
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #2  
Ready to do this!

S/C/G: 215/197/145

Good post! I just finished this book the other day and have not touched meat since. Soda.......um, much less but not gone yet entirely yet. It is definitely an eye opener on a lot of levels though.....and scary on a lot of levels! One of the things I like best about this book is that they truly are advocating a lifestyle change. No "you will lose 20 pounds in 5 minutes!" stuff. It's all about a healthy LIFE, not just a low weight.
reddahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #3  
You Will Get There

S/C/G: 316/316/200

Height: 5'7"

I would like to make this comment. I am so tired of people trashing the Atkins Diet. If people would read the book, then they would understand that no milk & no fruit is in phase one of the Induction Diet that only lasts 2 weeks. The Induction diet is used to jumpstart your weight loss. I was on it and yes it was hard at first but when I seen the weight coming off, I stuck with it. As far as eating meat, that is one of the choices BUT NOT THE ONLY CHOICE on the Induction Diet Phase One List.There are plenty other healthy foods including Veggies that are on the list and are very healthy. After the Induction diet is over, you learn how to incorporate all the other foods back into your diet (including fruit). Also no one gets fat overnight. It takes months to gain weight. We eat these "junk" foods because they taste good, are ready-made, and are there for us to purchase and eat. We substitute "junk" foods for healthy foods. Remember this is a choice that we make. Most people don't realize it but all addictions can be broken.

Last edited by erricah; 10-20-2008 at 09:43 AM.
erricah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 225/219/150

I've seen this book around. Thanks for the info, I think i'll check it out.
Mae8217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 270/209/170

Height: 5ft 7

Thanks so much for the info! Ive seen it on the shelf but never thought too much about it. I think I`ll buy it.
erinmagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/188/120

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up

Interesting concepts, when I started my life change I cut out the white sugar, coffee-only decaf now and it's black (no where near what I once had) and milk. I'm going to the library and see if I can check this book out for more info...Thanks for the thread-very informative!
chunckymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

I personally didn't like the book. I think that you can write about a vegan lifestyle (which is what the book promotes) without being so condescending towards those who do like or need animal products in their diets. I also didn't care too much for the rude, sarcastic, vulgar at times writing style...but, that's just me.

As far as the adequate protein goes, there are indeed people who need it. The average person, for instance, might get enough protein from grains, fruits, veggies, and legumes, but a professional athlete or a bodybuilder might not, and would need to supplement that, because of their higher muscle mass on their bodies. Someone who is diabetic needs more protein, and more limited carbs, to keep their blood sugar levels in check. You can't just have a blanket statement that covers everyone, and everything, because there are exceptions.

Last edited by aphil; 10-20-2008 at 11:19 AM.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #8  
Progress not perfection

Yeah I definitely realize this book isnt for everyone. I personally loved the way they put it, striaght and forward... it made me feel like it was my best friend telling me and obviously it depends on the person. Im sure there are other great books that put it differently, but really none ever kept my attention. I just want to tell as many people as I can about this book, really about any book or plan I do, because if it helped me it could help others, and I love letting people know about something that could actually work for them!

Obviously everyone has their own opinions and this is only mine. I just want everyoen to know there is hope for all of us! Im so proud of myself, and it feels almost effortless. Its so great for me, and Im so happy, inside and out.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:35 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I only skimmed it. I don't think the language was necessary to achieve a friend-to-friend, straightforward tone, but whatever. I didn't spend much time with the menus or recipes because there was a lot of processed fake meat & cheese convenience foods, and I didn't want to go that direction. I don't think that book alone would have tipped me over to veg*anism, because actually the tone made it easier to dismiss what they had to say as hyperbole or fad. But I had read other things lately, so I switched anyway . I guess it helped indirectly, because it made Jill start the vegetarian challenge, and without that, I'd probably still be *gradually* changing over

Last edited by JulieJ08; 10-20-2008 at 12:42 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #10  
Progress not perfection

Julie yeah whatever works right! Im actually big on reading new things, Ive read alot of diet books, but for me its the only one that did it.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
As far as the adequate protein goes, there are indeed people who need it. The average person, for instance, might get enough protein from grains, fruits, veggies, and legumes, but a professional athlete or a bodybuilder might not, and would need to supplement that, because of their higher muscle mass on their bodies. Someone who is diabetic needs more protein, and more limited carbs, to keep their blood sugar levels in check. You can't just have a blanket statement that covers everyone, and everything, because there are exceptions.
Actually there are plenty of vegan bodybuilders (http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/) around and if planned carefully anyone can get enough protein from a vegan and/or veggie diet - there are so many often overlooked sources. Not to mention the average American eats too much protein anyway.
Also as far as diabetes goes while a clean and healthy vegan diet doesn't cure it ADA studies have shown that it greatly reduces the need for medication and is promoted as a healthy way to manage diabetes.

I'm so very sick of the "I don't get enough protein" excuse some people use to not adopt a veggie lifestyle. It just isn't true of a healthy veg diet.

As far as the book, I understand about the language. It doesn't bother me but yes they could have delivered their message in a different manner (and there are 1,000s of books that do so!)
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillnicole03 View Post
Julie yeah whatever works right! Im actually big on reading new things, Ive read alot of diet books, but for me its the only one that did it.
I still read a lot of diet books, even though I don't really diet like most books tell you to. I just like reading about nutrition and ways of eating, new ideas, and so on. I'm sure pretty soon I'll have my fill of most of them, and be more selective. I also like knowing what's out there.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:09 PM   #13  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I believe whatever works for a person in general is great and it's good to share with others the triumphs and struggles that came with any lifestyle change. As long as a meal plan or lifestyle is nutritionally balanced that's the best plan. Everyone is different and what works for one may not work for the other. There's so much information out there to explore we just have to make sure that we're imbibing the correct information and making intelligent decisions .
Jill, I'm glad you found success in your path. I'm exploring different things as well and trying to see what works for me and what doesn't. It definitely is an interesting journey for me.

Last edited by pintobean; 10-20-2008 at 03:14 PM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:16 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Chick B Gone View Post
Actually there are plenty of vegan bodybuilders (http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/) around and if planned carefully anyone can get enough protein from a vegan and/or veggie diet - there are so many often overlooked sources. Not to mention the average American eats too much protein anyway.
Also as far as diabetes goes while a clean and healthy vegan diet doesn't cure it ADA studies have shown that it greatly reduces the need for medication and is promoted as a healthy way to manage diabetes.

I'm so very sick of the "I don't get enough protein" excuse some people use to not adopt a veggie lifestyle. It just isn't true of a healthy veg diet.

As far as the book, I understand about the language. It doesn't bother me but yes they could have delivered their message in a different manner (and there are 1,000s of books that do so!)

I am very aware that there are vegan bodybuilders, but as you said, it takes extra planning to be able to bodybuild AND be a vegan, because of the protein requirements.

As far as being a diabetic, ANY healthy diet that reduces simple carbs and ups your protein content, while also lowering calorie content, will help to manage diabetes and reduce the need for medications. A vegan diet planned in this manner will do this, but a diet ALSO containing animal products will do this as well. (I am a gestational diabetic. )

I am perfectly fine with people living the vegan lifestyle if they so choose, and telling everyone how wonderful they think it is...but we have to be careful and not offend those who do eat animal products, just because it isn't the path that you have chosen for yourself. I am only saying this, because this thread is in the general area, and not in the veggie area of the forum.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:25 AM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I know some like the book but personally I have no interest in ever reading it. I think books like Vegan with a Vengeance (cookbook), The China Study and Eat to Live are much better for reasons to give up animal products.

Also there are plenty of body builders and vegan athletes. I don't think it even requires extra planning, just planning in general. I can get over 100g protein/day without really trying which is well above the minimum protein recommendations. I believe The China Study (or maybe it is Eat to Live or maybe both) that touch on real protein requirements for body builders, nursing mothers and athletes in general.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote