Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 PM   #1  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Default Black Bean Soup

Here is a recipe that is super easy I found- haven't tried it yet but going to make it tomorrow!

Black bean soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion
1 green bell pepper
7 cloves of garlic
1 pound dry black beans(sorted and soaked for at least 4 hours)
5 cups water
3 cup vegetable broth
1 - 7 oz can diced green chiles
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 bay leaves

optional for garnish:
rf sour cream
red bell pepper, diced
white onion, diced
fresh cilantro, finely chopped

Add olive oil to the crock pot and turn on highest setting. Chop yellow onion and stir into the olive oil. Cover and let cook while you chop the green bell pepper into 1 inch chunks. Stir in green bell pepper. Using a garlic press, crush garlic cloves directly into the crock pot. Stir and cover. Rinse black beans in a colander. Add to crock pot along with water, broth, chilies, cumin, thyme, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Cover and cook on high for at least 8 hours. Before serving, remove bay leaves and then partially puree soup with a hand mixer or submersible hand held blender. Mix until thick, but still with chunks of beans, onions and peppers visible.

Number of Servings: 6

Last edited by rdw1; 10-20-2008 at 11:09 PM.
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #2  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

well, I just relized that I don't have all the ingredients for this soup so here is my plan for today and I will let you all know how it went! lol
(I never follow a recipe well anyway!)

1lb black beans soaked overnight
8c water
1/2 yellow onion grated in, garlic cloves grated in as well...
adding all herbs(No salt)

I will cook for a while and see how it goes then add a couple cubes veggie boullion and a can of diced tomatoes ith green chilis-we'll see if at that point we really need the extra salt(I doubt it!)

I don't have a bell pepper but will probably add some chopped fresh spinach in toward the end to add a little color or maybe chopped zuchinni- who knows! lol

I remember having a hard time getting beans to soften when salt or tomatoes was added early in cooking which is why I am waiting...dont knwo if that is normal or not though!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote