General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-19-2008, 06:41 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default A Food Conspiracy?

Is it just me or has anyone else been experiencing this?

It seems to me that there is a lot of food at the grocery store that has passed the date for sale/use. I have found several things lately, today I brought home some frozen dinner rolls that were supposed to be used by Aug 8th. I usually check dates, but not on frozen stuff.

Could be my imagination but I think...and this is only me...

I think that the economy is causing food to stay in the stores much longer...

Is it just me?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #2  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Nope, I noticed it too. Mine was a whole big box of yogurt the other day and 2 loafs of whole bread that was old enough to vote! Grrrrr I thought the same thing, the economy and peeps aren't buying as much but it still remains on the shelf for us who don't pay attention to everything we toss in our carts.
Must read everything nowadays I guess..
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #3  
Skinny Here I Come!

S/C/G: 230/229.8/140

Height: 5'8"

I have been taught to check those by my mother heehee It has become so horrible lately that I check everything.. My mom had stomach issues so I hope never to be in that same boat
Layla316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I've always checked dates before I buy. Because I check I have noticed an abnormal amount of expired goods on the shelves.

Another food conspiracy I've noticed, shrinking sizes. I've noticed many foods have stayed the same price and the packages are the same size, but they have less product inside. Like mushrooms, the store I go to they are now 6oz packages, not 8oz. It seems like false economy, I'd rather pay a bit more for the same size.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:40 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

Yes!!! I bought a box of Boca Chicken burgers ...the "boca in a bun" ones to take to work. I got there and noticed they were 2 months outdated! ...They were frozen, so I wasn't too concerned, and they tasted good. But still, is it right that they still had them sitting in the freezer case, charging me full price? ...same thing with choc. covered soynuts. got home and they were outdated. grrr.
mxgirl737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #6  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

this has been happening at Market of Choice a lot lately. I pretty much know certain things that are going to be there not to buy because they just don't go through them fast enough - like the canned soups that aren't organic/hippie brands. Lately it's been other stuff too though like cereal and frozen stuff. :C i thought it was just this store but now i'm wondering...
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Sigh, I've seen it too. I try not to be crazy about the dates, but I always check at least a few of each item - I don't feel a need to volunteer to clear out the store's older produce / etc for them .
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Just today, besides the rolls that I did not check because they were frozen, I found wheat tortillas, about 15 packs dated Oct. 8th ~ pico de gallo use by Oct 17 ~ wheat bread almost a week old.

I shop at a Ralph's (Krogers)
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:31 AM   #9  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

also- i keep getting veggies that look fine the day i get them and then the NEXT day they are moldy. What the heck!? This has happened twice to me with mushrooms and with fruit. I won't even consider buying fruit from Trader Joes here anymore because of it.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:42 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

actually i don't think its buying per se...i think its lazy people at the store. Its there responsiblity to do what's called "first in first out". When they restock shelves they get lazy (i see it a lot more at cheeper stores like walmart than at places like publix). The stocker gets lazy....so instead of bringing the older stuff to the front and the new stuff to the back, they just cram the new stuff up front, then when they forget to check the back stuff. I've always kept an eye on this stuff (something i was trained to do when in the army as part of my inspections) so i've seen it for a while.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #11  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

I always check the dates and I always grab stuff from the back of the shelves. Milk, sour cream, yogurt -- they stock it FIFO and usually the stuff in the back has the later expiration dates. Also, someone told me if you're buying ice cream to grab it from the back because it is much colder vs. the front of the freezer w/the door getting opened and all. Um not that any of us are actually eating ice cream!
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 223/213/199

Height: 5'6"

That has happened to me a few times in the past few months. I just bought some of the Spritzers salad dressing on sale for 99 cents and it expired in August! I never thought to look at the date! ARGH! Thank goodness it was only 99 cents! I'm am usually pretty good at checking the expiry dates...I'll be sure to check everything from now on!

Last edited by Wifey; 10-20-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #13  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

UGH... hapenning around here too. I am a date checker, so have been saved for buying not good out of date tiems... but I feel my stomach toss and turn when I see shredded cheese bags hanging that are 2+ months out of date. GROSS. I can see a day or two over, but months... goodnessgracious.
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziep View Post
also- i keep getting veggies that look fine the day i get them and then the NEXT day they are moldy. What the heck!? This has happened twice to me with mushrooms and with fruit. I won't even consider buying fruit from Trader Joes here anymore because of it.
Actually, what I like about TJ is that the picked date on almost all produce is so clearly marked. Much better than at regular supermarkets. I do have problem with their fruit getting moldy sometimes though. Haven't had any problem with veggies though.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

Ive noticed it too , They have alot of "manager specials" on them nowadays.
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote