Old 10-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #43

Good Evening, Flowers! It has been a cold rainy day in my neighborhood. The heat is on and working at school! We went to Sioux City this afternoon and I returned the shoes I bought a couple of weeks ago. I tried on a couple of jackets and couldn't decide so didn't buy either one. Penneys was having a sale on kids' clothes, buy one get the 2nd one for $.88 so I did some of my Christmas shopping. The mall wasn't crowded and it was nice not to have to fight the crowd.

"Gma" -- It was nice that Jack took the day off and you could make your trip to the commissary today rather than tomorrow. Gas was $2.58 here this afternoon. I remember gas, bread, and cigarettes all being 25 cents! I was pretty little, but my dad made his own signs for the station and I remember watching him. My mom used to give me a quarter and I would go to the store for a loaf of bread. Jason's Deli sounds like my kind of place . . . strawberry shortcake . . . YUM!

Maggie -- The baby bear gift is a nice and useful gift. Our hospital gift shop sells them and we are usually down to one each time I work. I'm sure your friend will enjoy the glass box; I agree that a child's birthday party should have a ! I couldn't help but notice all of the Christmas boxed gift items in the stores today. You will have a good start on your Christmas glass gift items.

Susan -- I've been known to have things written on my grocery list and still forget to pick them up. It's a good thing I don't have to drive very far for a return trip. Sometimes I will have Bob stop on his way home from the office. We are supposed to be warming up for the weekend and have some sunshine in the mix. We've had too many gloomy days this week!

I am off to start a load of laundry! Have a great weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:31 AM   #2  

Good morning to you ladies! We got the shopping done, but whew what a nightmare! I think every retired person was in that store yesterday. It was bumper to bumper traffic or shall I say cart to cart traffic. We had to stand in line about 15 minutes. The line snaked out through the back of the store and most of them were retired people. We came home and put everything away then went to Super Target and got what the commissary didn't have.

I have a couple errands to run today then I am done with that. I didn't get my cleaning done on the list yesterday so have to tackle the floor mopping today and I guess just combine up and downstairs dusting tomorrow so I stay caught up.

Jean: I bought Jackson a little zip up hoodie with pumpkins and stuff on it for Halloween then ordered him a couple t-shirts, a pair of jeans and a Notre Dame jogging suit from Target online. I had to confess to Jack that I bought an arch enemie's college team for the baby, but they are huge Notre Dame fans. I am done now with Jackson's Christmas except to round out his stocking stuffers. The little bowling set came yesterday and it is so cute. Jack said he thinks Jackson will like it, but will probably throw the penguins with the ball! I bought these cute Christmas decorations at Lakeside online. They are canoes with snowmen in them and they are paddling. You can order them up to 5 snowmen per canoe, so I bought two canoes with 4 each for the family. You can then write their names in marker on the canoes. It is really cute.

Susan: I am not much of a muffin eater and only had one tiny piece of the garlic toast. I do like their french dressing though, but I am sure it is high in fat. I still have the little Koala bear we bought for Jay when he was a baby. We lived near San Diego and went to the zoo there and they had these tiny little stuffed bears. We named him Scotty because I used to buy the little individual butterscotch puddings for him and he would feed the bear pudding. He has a hard place right between his eyes where the pudding hardened. Scotty now is blind in one eye, but he is clean and well cared for. I showed him to Jay when they were here right after the baby was born. Kelly was the blanket girl. She had a blanket that she kept until it became tatters. Those bear heads with the blankets attached you can knit. I have the pattern for them.

Maggie: Sounds like your glass work is moving right along again. I am sure you enjoy being able to do it again. Kelly sent me a link to a pic of the little girl I made the hat for wearing it and I can't get it to open. I get an error message saying I am not authorized so I emailed Kelly about it. I haven't heard back from her.

I guess I better get going. I need to unload the dishwasher. I have it full of those silicone baking pieces. I should be set with baking it came with 2 baking sheets, muffin tin, bunt pan, 2 8" square pans, a 9 X 13 pan, 2 round cake pans and 2 bread pans. We shall see soon how well they work.

Have a great Saturday!
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! We got up to fog this morning, but the sun is out and it is a beautiful fall day. Now if the temperature would just go up about 20 degrees it would be even better! I am doing cat chores this weekend and made a grocery run this morning. The washer, dryer, and dishwasher have done their duty so I need to unload and reload. Bob is out farming so I have no clue when I will see him again.

"Gma" -- I need to sort through the clothes that I bought yesterday to make sure everyone has the same (amount) things. This time I bought the boys the same pjs and the girls the same jeans and shirts. I thought they might get a kick out of dressing alike. I will have to check the girls' pjs (from another shopping trip) as I can't remember if they are the same or not. Poor Ian is getting double the clothes because his birthday is so close to Christmas. I bought him a remote control car from the "book man" who comes to school. That was kind of dumb since we will probably be knee deep in snow by then. Kolby likes to play with Ernie's little balls with the bells inside. I find them in the strangest places after the kids leave. One even went home in Kolby's pocket one time. The Christmas decorations sound cute!

I need to fold some towels and put in the next load. Have a nice evening and a super Sunday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #4  

Good morning, ladies! The sun is out and the rain is over but still only in the 50s.

I went to Church then stopped for my prescription and the milk I forgot on Friday.

Faye, you started me in on thinking about Jason's Deli - I love their Chicken and Dumpling soup. I wonder where they get those huge baked potatoes. Glad you got the dreaded commissary trip out of the way for another month.

Jean, you are right - kids to like to occasionally have matching outfits...and they look cute. I have a bunion on my right foot so have a hard time finding shoes that don't hurt. If I buy wide width so it doesn't hurt, the heal doesn't fit and the left shoe falls off. That's why I love sandals.

Well, today is mop the floors, finish the laundry and clean the kitchen. Then I get to sit down and do some quilting.

Have a good day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! We've been to church, I did cat chores while Bob was singing for the 2nd service, had lunch, and went to our doctor's retirement reception. It started at 1 and we were there at 1:10; there was a line and people coming out had to walk past people waiting to get in . . . lots of tears. I have the last loads of laundry going and want to go to the Hallmark store. I got a coupon in the mail yesterday and it's dated the weekend of the 11th and 12th. I'm hoping they will honor it. I need to vacuum up the fur/dust frizzies and clear off the kitchen counter . . . again. Bob just left for the farm so I won't see him until around 9 tonight.

Susan -- I noticed baked potato soup in the freezer section at the store. I wonder if they bake the potatoes first? It's not that cold today, but soup does sound good. MIL has bunions on each foot so I know what you mean about finding comfortable shoes. Enjoy your quilting afternoon!

I need to fold the last load of laundry and maybe sneak up on some ironing later. Have a great rest of the day and a marvelous Monday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #6  

Good afternoon ladies. I had a rough night last night so have been napping it off today. I pinched a nerve or something on the inside bend of my elbow area and it bothered me all night long. I took one of Jack's muscle relaxers in case it was just muscle strain and put Icy Hot on it and it got better, but boy it kept me awake most of the night. I think maybe Fortune stepped on me and pinched something there.

Jean: I know you have to be sad a favored dr is retiring and did you say moving? I hate getting coupons that are expired before you can even try to use them. I finished up Thomas's Christmas overnight as Kelly emailed me what he wanted so I did it all online. Looks like he is getting a real interest in science because he wants a lot of electronic and science related building kits. I am all done now except to get a few more stocking stuffers! Yeah!!!!

Susan: I'll have to try that soup sometime. I have never eaten it. I love to make chicken and dumplings but we only have it occasionally. Takes time to make all those dumplings. I have totally flat feet so no shoes look pretty on me. I also have a long foot, size 11 so everything I wear looks like boats! lol I am a big sandal lover as well and wear them as long as my feet won't freeze sticking out! lol

Fortune is again calling wanting back in so I need to go. Talk to you tomorrow.
Faye
Old 10-20-2008, 07:52 AM   #7  

Good morning everyone! It is cooling down here and should be low 70's for part of the week than down into the 60's. I guess fall weather is really here now.

I am so glad gas is falling. Now if they would lower airline prices to reflect the lower prices. I checked on flights to Vegas and they have become outrageous. We aren't going to be going anytime soon as we want to buy the new car next year, but I keep getting room deals so I just checked to see what airline prices were. The first year that we flew business class it cost us around $1100, then it went to $1300 and now it is over $2100 to fly the business class for the same airline. No one, not even Southwest flies cheaply. We would have to drive to Little Rock and fly out of Little Rock to go Southwest and they still want around $800 for the two of us. That is just ridiculous. Be prepared to get gouged when you go to Hawaii next year, Jean.

I am making beef and noodles for dinner tonight. I want to get some chores done and it is something I can put on and not worry about then put the noodles on at the last minute.

Nothing much else happening in this part of the world. Everyone have a great day!
Faye
Old 10-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #8  

Good afternoon, ladies! I guess winter is coming. There was frost this morning!

Faye, your beef and noodles sounds so good. I haven't made any for a long time, guess I need to put that on my menu.

Jean, I did see a recipe for Baked Potato soup that had you bake the potatoes first. It also had cheese, bacon, sour cream and chives so I passed on that. Did Hallmark honor the coupon?

Not much going on - work then bible study tonight.

Have a good day.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #9  

I just got a call about the friend I asked you to pray for. She died last night. There will be a memorial service, no calling hours and then they are taking her to Roanoke for burial. I feel so bad for her family. We'll all miss her.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:56 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining, but it is a cool breezy day out there. They didn't turn the heat on at school so the south rooms were toasty and the north rooms were freezing. I spend 4 -5 periods a day in north rooms depending on the day of the week. I came home, put on a sweatshirt, and have a cup of hot tea sitting beside me. Bob is out farming and I have card club tonight so may see him on my way to bed. They will work later tonight because it is supposed to rain tomorrow. I got up to a SKUNK on my deck! He was eating the bird seed that the squirrel knocked out of the feeder. Ernie wasn't meowing at him either -- he must have known the skunk wasn't another cat.

"Gma" -- I hope that your arm is feeling mcuh better by now. Our doctor had a big home on the lake which he sold a couple of years ago. They bought a fancy motor home which they lived in in the camp ground during the summer and then rented a house during the winter months. Now they are going to travel for a couple years. He told me they would like to settle somewhere so that they are closer to their kids. Their son is a doctor and lives in N. Carolina, one daughter is in St. Louis, and the other daughter is in Des Moines. They want to go on a caravan trip to Alaska next summer before they make any other plans. He is planning to start a blog so I'm hoping I can find it. I envy you having your Christmas shopping done! I have a start and a few ideas. The kids have so many toys that I'm doing more clothes as well as cutting back this year. Since we invited them all to go to Maui in 2010, I need to save my $$ for airline tickets! When I checked over the weekend tickets were $938 which is less that we paid for our last trip. If we weren't locked in to specific time slots it would help a whole lot!

Susan -- We are supposed to get frost tonight. Some areas got it one night last week but my flowers still look good so don't think we did. They actually look better now than they did during the summer. I never made it to the Hallmark store yesterday. I got lazy and took a cat nap instead. I'm sorry about your friend's death. Did they ever decide what was wrong with her? That is so sad for her family.

Guess I will decide what I'm wearing tomorrow and iron some shirts for Bob. We have a half day although I will have copying to do if the copy machine is fixed. Have a nice evening and a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 10-21-2008, 07:50 AM   #11  

Good morning gals! It is cool again this morning. We had lovely sunshine yesterday and are supposed to today then rain until the weekend. Seems to always rain on trash day so you end up getting soaked getting the trashcan put away!

Susan: Oh, I am so sorry about your friend. I know the family has to be devastated with such a weird thing happening so suddenly. I hope they found out what was wrong with her just for her family to have peace about it. I think it would drive me nuts not to know how they died if it was sudden.

Jean: Sounds like you need those Cuddle Dud things to wear under long shirts and slacks. Kelly swears by them and says they really keep you warm. Hope Bob got the crop in before it rained. I noticed when we went to the commissary part of the fields had been striped of their cotton. No fluff this year though, but maybe because it rained the day before we went out there. I ended up canceling the Target clothes for Jackson as they weren't going to ship until sometime in December, which I think is ridiculous. So, I canceled and ordered from Sears. We shall see if they do better. I had to cancel a couple things from Lakeside that were shipping too late too. I am waiting for their reply about it.

I better get going. I need to scrub the tub today and try and get the rust stains from the dripping faucet cleaned out. I bought CLR and some of the magic erasers and worked on it a bit yesterday and it seems to start to come up so I imagine it will all come up eventually.

Have a good one everybody!
Faye
Old 10-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is a rainy gloomy day in my corner of the world. I finished my school "chores" by noon so was able to come home. There are lots of things I could be doing here, but I sure feel lazy and it's nice to just sit.

"Gma" -- The guys got rained out around noon today. They have quite a bit left to do and hopefully will get it all in before the snow flies. On the home place they are hauling to bins on the farm, but on the other place they have to haul to an elevator which takes a lot longer. The farmer could use bigger wagons, but he is very conservative and won't spend the money when the smaller wagons will work. He also has two trucks that they fill; Bob likes the trucks because they go faster down the highway whereas he takes gravel roads as much as possible with the tractor. I wonder why the shipping is taking so long on some items. It is irritating for sure. I hope you were able to find what you were looking for at Sears.

I see the mail has arrived so guess I'll brave the weather and see if we got anything interesting. The catalogs have been coming by the handfuls which surprises me. I thought with the postage going up and the economy they might cut back this year.

Have a relaxing "rest of the day" and a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:18 PM   #13  

Good afternoon, ladies! 70 degrees today - a nice change.

Nothing interesting going on - went to work, went to Curves, making supper and then some quilting and NCIS. Although it's nice not to be as busy as I was there for awhile. I had bible study last night. I tell you, the bible is better by far than any soap opera. It's a wonder they haven't made it into a mini series.

My friend died of complications of pancretitis. She had everyone they know of. They told her family she would have been in the hospital for months if she had responded to treatment. I guess when it's your time, God takes you.

Now that we are in the age of "Made in China", I wonder if some of the shipping length of time is the product is made as it is ordered.

There was a call from Michelle O'Bama on my messages when I got home. Did she call you, too? I'll be so glad when the next 2 weeks are over. With VA being one of the battleground states and historically Republican, we are being bombarded with political calls and mailings and junk left at the door.

Faye, I love those magic erasers. I make sure to always have them on hand.

Jean, I don't want you using that four letter S*** word again. I hope not to see any snow this winter...or only on the weekend.

Have a good evening.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #14  

Good morning to you all! I hope your day is starting out well. I am anxious to have Jack get home and get his hands on a Wall Street Journal. I am going to check with Kelly later today to see if the article is in there today.

Today is my son's 35th birthday. I feel so old. Guess I can't say I was 12 when he was born, can I? I just sent him his card because he wanted me to hold his present until they come down here. With the Cubs taking the dumper in the playoffs I'm afraid he might burn it in effagy!

Susan: We still have a long way to go for health I guess. In this day and age you would think they could get a handle on anything, but we are still made by God and like you said, he takes you when it is your time. I am just so sad for her family. I was in contact with a friend at the law firm I worked at in Indiana and the lovely elderly friend I had there passed away last week. She was such an incredibly sweet lady always wanting to know about Thomas and the family. She loved going to the casinos in Chicago and would go on little bus trips with friends. I doubt Mrs. Obama would call our house as we are die hard Republicans. We have an unlisted number so we probably won't get any Republican calls either. I have started getting literature in the mail though. They are saying the black turn out for early voting is huge so I imagine we will stand in line to vote here and we rarely do. There is still cheating that goes on here in Memphis though I don't rightly know how they accomplish it. I agree with you, no dirty "s" stuff this season. We shall see if we can get by. I heard we are in for a hard winter, but since it is late October and we are still mostly in the 70's I am not sure unless it starts late. I sure hope not.

Jean: My Sears stuff has shipped already so poo on Target! I have stuff coming everyday now so keep the postman and UPS and FEDEX guys busy. I got more stuff last night from Amazon.com and have a couple boxes coming today. I also have some stuff coming postal so don't know when it will get here. I am getting 3-5 catalogues a day now and some of them are nutty. I just pitch them. Guess postage isn't the issue! lol

Everyone have a great day. I am going to start on chores.
Faye
Old 10-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #15  

Good morning, ladies - Only 50 degrees at 11:30am. It was COLD this morning.

Faye, I check the WSJ on line but didn't find the article. Is it supposed to be in today? I'll ask my boss to let me have his paper when he is done with it.

They are saying there'll be long line at all the voting places this year. I'm a registered Republican, as are 90% of the people in my area. I still don't know who I am going to vote for. When it comes down to the bottom line, I don't like or trust any of them. Why did the Republican party feel a need to spend $150,000 in one month for Palin's clothes - and then say they will be donated to charity after the election? Didn't she have any nice clothes, being the governor? I don't like O'Bama's ideas on redistributing the wealth, either. Let them work for what they have like I have.

Jean, your description of the men driving the stuff to the grain elevator brought back memories. I can remember this from my childhood. I was driving tractor when I was 9 years old. The elevator was about 10 miles away on back roads and my great uncle worked there. I couldn't drive on the road but I sure did in the fields. We raised corn, wheat, rye and oats.

Getting the boss ready to go out of town to one of our clients so I better get back to work.

Have a great day!