Old 10-18-2008, 02:25 PM   #1  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Default I was at a federal park and had to go...

...to the bathroom and I had my dog with me (on a leash).
I was walking up to the bathroom and a ranger was outside blowing leaves.
I'm pretty sure he saw me walking to the bathroom with my dog and he didn't say anything.
So, I went into the bathroom and a woman was at the sink washing her hands. She walked out as I was going into the stall. No one else was in there.
Then I hear the lady talking outside and then "BAM, BAM, BAM" on the door and the ranger yelling "no dogs in the bathroom". I was in mid stream and said "ok, I'm almost done".
When I got out, he was still out there blowing leaves and I said "sorry, but I didn't see a sign that said no pets".
So, I'm thinking it was just because that lady said something.
I couldn't leave my dog outside, and I really had to go.
Now I feel like a criminal

Anyone else have this problem?
So is it a known pet owner rule-no pets in public restrooms?
Is that really gross and offensive ?
I rarely take my dog out in public, so I guess I just never have thought about it before.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I've never seen a sign to that effect. If it's a rule, they should have signs up.

Honestly, I don't see how that is more gross then what normally goes on in a bathroom. It's not like the dog was using the facilities.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. If there were no signs then not a big deal - not like you could leave your dog unattended while you went in.
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Ok, if it were a service dog, it would be allowed in the restroom (it would have to be). Now in a place where pets are normally not allowed, service dogs are considered "an exception," but in a spot where pets are allowed (like many public parks) what would you be expected to do with the animal? Leaving it unattended isn't a responsible choice.

My guess is that he did what he did, because it was easier than dealing with the irate woman. As unfair as this is, it happens all of the time.

When I was a probation officer I took a lot of training courses with police officers, and at one seminar the police officer that was a speaker told of a case in which a woman was complaining about a man "doing dope" in a diner (this was when restaurants still allowed smoking, at least in the smoking sections). Well, it wasn't dope, the guy was just handrolling his tobacco cigarettes. Rather than go back to the lady and tell her that it wasn't anything illegal, the police involved asked the man to stop smoking.

We discussed whether that was the appropriate action or not, and how often it occurs. Many of the police officers saw nothing wrong with it, talking about "keeping the peace," as being part of their jobs even if it meant placating "the crazy lady." Now if the smoking guy had refused, there really wasn't anything that they could have done, and they probably would have had to go back to "the crazy lady," and explain that the cigarette was legal.

I don't know if there are actually rules against pets in the facilities, or whether it was just to shut up the irritated woman, but I would call the ranger station and ask what the official policy is, and what you are supposed to do instead if you are not with a companion.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #5  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Yeah, I think he just did it because of the woman.
But he about scared the bejeezes out of me when he banged on the door.

A friend said that I should have said that she was my "peeing eye" dog - ha!

I'll check online and see if I can find any "dog rules" in federal parks.
Thanks all
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

I wouldn't worry about it. He was probably trying to appease the woman. I know if a restroom is in a building, pets are not allowed. But from all the visits to national/state parks, they usually have a sign posted if there is an issue. I do remember a few parks i visited that have signs stating no pets heading to bathroom areas. I really don't think its a big deal, but i guess others do. Look up the rule on line..but i would just say, next time look for a sign before heading in with your dog. Most of the time, i hitch my dog to a post/tree near by. I have a neat leash that unbuckles and hooks up on a ring to make it easier to hitch to a tree/post.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote