Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Question fat free cheese?

tonight I was craving cheese. So I cut up some cheese, about 4 or 5 strips from a brick of medium chedder, and cut up a honey crisp apple and made a little snack of it. Not healthy at all, I know(the chedder part). I'm wondering about FF or low fat cheeses? what are some good ones? I've never bought any FF or low fat cheese. I remember my Mom telling me FF cheese is discusting... suggestions wanted!

Last edited by luvja; 10-14-2008 at 09:09 PM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #2  
LA Weight Loss

S/C/G: 156/110/110

Height: 5'0"

Yea, I think Fat Free cheese is pretty gross... no gonna lie about that! But if I have a recipe that calls for cheese, I usually try to use 96% fat free. (I can't remember which brand it is) At least it doesn't taste as horrible as Fat Free.
misserica3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #3  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I usually just use the full fat stuff and use less. If you use a cheese with a strong taste, like a very sharp cheddar or feta, for example, you get a lot of flavor for a relatively small amount.

If I'm making a recipe where I need to use a lot of cheese (like in a casserole or something), I might use the Kraft 2% reduced fat cheese... but never the fat free. The fat free is just too far removed from the real thing, both in ingredients and in taste, to me. Mozzarella is generally a pretty good choice when it comes to lower fat cheeses... they're usually part-skim to begin with.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #4  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

You might like the low fat cheeses by Sargento. I've had both the swiss and cheddar and thought they were really good.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:22 PM   #5  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I've never been able to enjoy ff cheese - and it just doesn't behave right in terms of melting. However, I am able to enjoy low fat cheeses - at least 2%. That seems to make a huge difference in flavor, texture and "behavior".
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #6  

hmmm, thanks everyone. I haven't seen a good review on FF cheese yet! maybe it is discusting, Mom was right! lol
Old 10-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #7  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

That sounds like a very healthy snack to me
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
That sounds like a very healthy snack to me

Well, I'm pretty sure on the back of the cheese pack, it said 130 cals for a 1.something inch cube... haha.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 PM   #9  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

I really don't like FF cheese. I agree with the other posters - eat less of a cheese that will satisfy you. I like low fat string, Laughing Cow, and a few 2% cheddars. I usually buy good deli cheeses (hard, flavorful ones) and use a grinder to shred them. I get a lot of flavor for very few calories

And - I disagree with the comment that full fat cheese is unhealthy. As a vegetarian, I incorporate cheese in my diet quite often. Moderation is the key.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #10  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvja View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure on the back of the cheese pack, it said 130 cals for a 1.something inch cube... haha.
OK, so with your apple it is a 200 cal snack. totally fine.
But maybe they were large strips? Again, OK, now you know how to satisfy this craving in a way that fits with your plan.

It's all a matter of tweaking.

kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:17 PM   #11  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I like Cabot's 1% sharp cheddar - it still has regular cheese taste and texture, with a good bit less fat and calories. I've also used Kraft and Sargento's 2% cheeses, which are really good as well. I do use some fat free cream cheese in light white sauces for body, and I've used fat-free feta in fritattas, but those are the only two I've found tolerable.

Last edited by Wolf Goddess; 10-14-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:33 PM   #12  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

Ohh I love cheese. I can't eat fat-free cheese b/c it never satisfies my cheese cravings.. in fact I end up eating more of it but not enjoy it, so I agree with what everyone said about just having smaller portions of full-fat/low-fat cheese.
Personally, I love Queso blanco (frying cheese). It's a good snack, and I LOVE cheesy stuff like cheez-it's b/c of the crunchiness, and frying cheese is a pretty good substitute, you could dip it in salsa or in fruit preserves. I've had strips dipped in gaucamole on the side with a salad. Definitely made my lunch more satisfying.
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Cheese isn't unhealthy, just calorie dense. There's nothing wrong with having it in moderation. If you had a serving size with an apple, that's a healthy 200 calorie snack. Nothing wrong with that. I buy regular full fat cheese if I'm eating it on its own. Sometimes I buy the 2% stuff, like for recipes and sandwiches.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:12 AM   #14  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Trader Joe's sells a reduced-fat Brie (70 calories per serving) that is great; I'm not sure I could tell the difference between it and regular Brie, but then I'm not a cheese aficionado.

I also like the Cabot 75% reduced fat cheddar for melting and cooking, but it's a little dry when eaten cold.

And I love the Laughing Cow cheese wedges (35 calories each) and Allouette reduced-fat spreadable cheeses (50 calories per ounce). I think both would taste great with an apple.

I also like reduced fat feta (I buy Trader Joe's light feta, which is 40 calories per ounce).

I will sometimes use completely fat free cheese in recipes, but it has to be a recipe where the cheese isn't super important because it definitely doesn't taste as good and doesn't melt well. And I agree that it's pretty disgusting when eaten by itself cold or on sandwiches.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:01 AM   #15  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I've only eaten the laughing cow cheese wedges spread on something. Barbara, it sounds like you might eat them straight but I may be reading that into your description. I guess it seems to me it would be like eating cream cheese alone, which doesn't appeal to me. Does anyone eat the wedges without spreading them on something?
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote