Old 10-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/165/125

Height: 5'

Default any 3rd shifters out there with bad habits?

Hi all, newbie here and currant 3rd shifter. I've been on this shift for over a year now and am still not sure how and when to eat which meals at which times, PLUS, theres a vending machine almost within arm reach from my desk. Now, I'm not saying I was at my ideal size when I started this shift (not even close!) but, I am not eating so very healthy, and a little sleep deprived for sure which I know can contribute. My weight problem came when I had a hysterectomy 5 years ago. I am 5"1 and 165lbs. I would like to lose 40 at least. I feel like a short waddling penguin, ugh....
So, anyone have advice?
PS, I have been looking into Shapely Secrets, thought this would be a good plan since I sit alone (night auditor at a hotel) all nite. Any insite on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
3rdshiftmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:29 PM   #2  
Life is a gift...........

S/C/G: 211/201/140

Height: 5'1"

I resemble your remark about a short waddling penquin. I occassionally work the night shift at my hospital. I usually eat dinner before shift, a snack in the middle and then breakfast when I get off.

Darlene
Darlene 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:44 AM   #3  

Hi Darlene, thanks for responding, I was beginning to think I was alone on 3rd. I go right to bed when I get home in the AM, I eat dinner when I get up around 3pm. then back to nap around 7pm., til time to get ready for work. It's the snacking at work thats my problem(and lack of exersize) I have brought grapes two nites in a row now to snack on, BUT, I threw them out the first night for something outta the machine ( cant remember what) oh, and I ate an apple too. The second nite(now) I ate the grapes and still went to the machine (craving salt) and bought two small bags of funions...ugh. I really need to get it together, this is the biggest I have ever been and felt, I really do feel miserable. I'd have never thought myself non motivational ever, especially in my younger years, and of corse my thinner years....geeez why does this happen??? (don't have to answer that one) I thought myself incapable of letting myself go like this . Couldnt sleep when I got home yesterday, so ..I ...ate. 4 bowls of peanut butter crunch?? What's up with that??? and thats not all, but am too disgusted to go on. Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited by 3rdshiftmuncher; 10-15-2008 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:22 PM   #4  
Life is a gift...........

S/C/G: 211/201/140

Height: 5'1"

Give your self a break. Night shift is difficult. It messes with all of your hormones. We were designed to sleep when it is dark. We eat to keep awake.
Darlene 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #5  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Another 3rd shifter here checking in!

There's no question that our lifestyle adds extra challenges to the whole weight loss thing!!! I work 3 or 4 12hr shifts per week and have a little girl, so I'm constantly going back and forth on when I sleep. Makes it pretty hard to figure out when breakfast, lunch and dinner are!!

If I'm having a particularly stressful night, I'll go 8-10 hours at work without an eating break. I'm a NICU nurse at a children's hospital, and we can't have food on the unit, so by the time I get out to eat at 3 or 4am, if I didn't pack, it's either greasy cafeteria food or a wilted salad bar. Yep, I usually breeze right past the salad bar. I always feel like after what I've just put up with, I DESERVE something good. Well, a lot of good that does me! Ugh, it's frustrating.

I do feel 100% better now that I've been working out a gym for the past couple months. Makes it easier to sleep, and I do make better choices now. It's hard though!

Just wanted to tell you you are not alone!!!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:21 AM   #6  

Geeeez, I almost feel as if we are doomed, cept the exersize is apparently the answer, always is I guess, no matter what shift you work. Soooo, I started calorie counting as of yesterday when I woke, and I just received Shapely Secrets in the mail yesterday too, havnet started yet, just read the pamphlet so far. Will begin after I get up today. And, I have been moving more tonite too, so I'm starting on the right track at least.
Next, gonna get one of those ticker charts, thanks girls!
Old 10-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #7  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I started my weight gains with night shift work. I now work all over the map, as I am on call, and work when needed, as long as it takes. (I am now a homebirth midwife, was a NICU nurse) I too used food to keep myself awake for the crazy stuff. I now use ice water instead of caffeine, which helps keep the cravings for sweets away, and use protein snacks when possible, as the carbs just make me cycle from high to low.
fatmad
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote