Old 10-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #1  
Candace

S/C/G: 200/200/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Slim Fast vs. Protein Shake

If you've read my previous posts, you know that I've had some problems with my husband, who is preparing for gastric bypass surgery in January. So I finally convinced him to call his dietitian. She said he should do a protein shake diet. 1 protein shake for breakfast, one for lunch, then dinner. Like Slim Fast.

So, to help him and to lose weight myself, I'm gonna do the same. But I wonder. For me... I'm not having the gastric bypass surgery... should I do protein shakes or Slim Fast?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a good protein powder? My husband will be using Unjury after his surgery for its high protein, but pre-surgery it would be a little too expensive to start now. I had him try the EAS brand from Wal-Mart, he didn't like them. The GNC variety is a little expensive, so I'm not sure whether to try it or not. Any advice?
sadfatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

There is absolutely NO reason, for you to be on a protein shake diet. This is a very EXTREME thing, and the only reason that it is being prescribed for your husband is because of his impending gastric bypass surgery. Basically, the risks to his health because of his extreme weight are outweighing the risks of the diet for him at this point.

You should not be eating only 3 protein shakes a day, and no other food, especially since you are currently NOT under a doctor's care for obesity. Please, continue to do your calorie counting in the way that you have been doing.

Also, the Slim-Fast plan is NOT 3 shakes per day and nothing else. It is a shake for breakfast and lunch, and then you eat a real dinner, and have snacks as well-fruits, etc. It isn't only 3 shakes a day. It is not the same as what the dietician is prescribing for your husband.

As far as your husband is concerned, do not use Slim-Fast products for this 3 shake a day. They are not what is being prescribed for him to do. You want to make the shakes with actual protein powder.

Now, my husband tried the GNC protein powder, and he HATED it. (My husband bodybuilds, and uses it as a dietary supplement for that.)

He likes the ON brand of protein powder, and it is also sold at GNC. I *believe* it is in a black container. He likes the double rich chocolate flavor. I like Designer Whey brand protein myself.

Please note that this is a dietary supplement, so your husband should not expect it to taste like a milkshake. I prefer them mixed in the blender, with a couple of ice cubes added. My husband just mixes them in his shaker container.

Please, your husband is under the advice of a physician due to his upcoming weight loss surgery-you are not. Please don't do this extreme thing along with him.

Last edited by aphil; 10-14-2008 at 08:07 AM.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:23 AM   #3  
No description available.

As in all you would consume would be protein shakes?

Er....no.

Neither protein shakes nor Slimfast have all of the nutrients a person needs.

Real food does.

Now, I am drinking a protein shake right now, cause I usually have one WITH my breakfast. I just finished a bowl of greek yogurt with raspberries and kashi cereal on top. I will have another protein shake after I lift weights tonight. In between I will have a turkey sandwich, raw veggies, laughing cow cheese, 2 piece of fruit, chicken, roasted butternut squash, and bread.

I wonder, have you had a chance to read some of the nutrition and exercise threads on 3fc? Maintainers has one, and I believe 100 lb club has one as well. There are plenty of examples of well rounded meal plans on here that people eat and lose weight on.

Our stats are very similar. I am 5'8" and I started at 204. This am I weighed in at 152.5. I have not starved a single day since I started my new way of eating and moving September 28, 2007. To the contrary, I eat 6 times a day, and my food is jam packed with good nutrition: protein, healthy fats, complex carbs, tons of veggies. Weight loss does not require extreme and punitive measures (I am talking about you---of course WLS is an extreme and a possibly life-saving measure for your husband). Check out what some of the successful losers on the board eat. Incorporate exercise several times a week. You can do this in a healthy, common sense way.

Good luck!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #4  
Justin

S/C/G: 166/140/132

Height: 5' 7"

i agree with what midwife said.

i mean lets just say you lose all this weight by drinking only protein. then what? how do you maintain it? are you going to drink this for the rest of your life and live a miserable life or go back to the way you eat and gain it it all back?

make lifestyle changes to lose weight.

i thought this thread would be about which would be better for a snack or something. i am still shocked.

my point: find a balanced, healthy way to be in a manageable calorie deficit, and you will lose all the weight in the world.
ndnguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Sign my name to what everyone else said above. YOU should not be on a protein shake diet. There's nothing wrong with a protein shake as a supplement, but for you, having nothing but protein is a BAD IDEA.

I've done the EAS protein powder and don't find it that bad, but I recently bought (just cause it was cheaper) the Body Fortress Whey powder and I think I like the taste of it better.

But aside from all of that, I'm very concerned still about the advice the dietitian gave you. Did she give him any advice on what a healthy dinner should be? Has she spoken to him at all about the fact that he cannot eat Doritos and grilled cheese sandwiches after the surgery? Has she talked to him about the fact that after the surgery he CANNOT go back to his old way of eating?

It doesn't sound to me like he's getting any kind of REAL counseling on his diet habits or on proper nutrition. If he loses the 50lbs drinking protein drinks, gets the surgery, and then goes back to eating Doritos and grilled cheese sandwiches he is going to cause serious damage to his body. Someone who has gone thru WLS does not have a proper digestive system to handle those kinds of foods.

Has ANY of this been discussed with his doctor or dietitian?

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #6  
No description available.

Photo, once again you hone in on something that has concerned me. I have not read any of the OP's posts about her husband's WLS, but I would expect that he would already be closely working with a nutrition expert. Protein shakes only might leave him with poor nutrition going into the surgery and (I am NO expert certainly) but the gist I get from the WLS forum here is that people focus on protein, but do not ONLY consume protein shakes after WLS. Maybe the first few weeks, but....

I get my protein powder at Max Muscle, and they allow samples. So I would not buy a shake I didn't taste first. He might want to go to some places that allow taste testing. Whatever his nutrition professional recommends is what I would follow, cause different protein shakes have different components and varying amounts of protein, fats and carbs.

The only liquid that is perfect for a human to consume as is without vitamin supplementation for months at a time is breastmilk*---and even that is custom made for the consumer. Even infant formula has different additives depending on the needs of the infant. No other liquid can be recommended across the board as fully meeting nutritional needs for a human.

*yes I am aware of the AAP position on vitamin D, but.....

ETA: I can just see the next fad diet: the breastmilk diet!

Last edited by midwife; 10-14-2008 at 11:14 AM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #7  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

The breastmilk diet would be the healthiest diet evah! Did you know that some hardcore body builders BUY IT to bulk up? True dat.

Oh and LLL does NOT endorse the vit D supplementation that the AAP does So you could just quote La Leche league instead.

lol!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post

The only liquid that is perfect for a human to consume as is without vitamin supplementation for months at a time is breastmilk*---and even that is custom made for the consumer. Even infant formula has different additives depending on the needs of the infant. No other liquid can be recommended across the board as fully meeting nutritional needs for a human.

*yes I am aware of the AAP position on vitamin D, but.....

ETA: I can just see the next fad diet: the breastmilk diet!
I know you weren't serious . But ...

According to CalorieKing, 1c of breast milk has 172 calories, 10.8g fat (55% of total calories), 16.9g carbs (39%), and 2.5g protein (6%)

So, say 10 cups (1720 calories).

That protein percentage would be quite a mental adjustment for many today.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Yes...but you have to understand that breastmilk was designed for super fast growing infants. It is the perfect nutrition for the stage of life that they are in at the moment.

Also...CalorieKing's information is not going to be accurate. The reason why, is because the properties of breastmilk change as the baby changes and grows-and even when Mom or baby get an illness. The percentage of calories/protein/fat/carbs/antibodies in breastmilk from a woman who just gave birth yesterday is going to differ greatly from the milk of a woman nursing a 2 month old, or a woman nursing a 9 month old who is trying to recover from a cold.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I understand fine. Sorry, I guess tongue-in-cheek did not come through.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:51 AM   #11  
Candace

S/C/G: 200/200/150

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry. I was reading your responses and I realize I wasn't very clear in my original post. His doctor prescribed a protein shake for breakfast and dinner, and then a sensible dinner. So that's 2 shakes and then a sensible dinner. I'm so sorry for the confusion!
sadfatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:53 AM   #12  
Ready to do this!

S/C/G: 215/197/145

Height: 5'7

I agree with everyone about him needing closer follow up with his dietician. That being said, I like matrix chocolate. It mixes really smooth and tastes good. If I don't have time to cook breakfast or for a quick snack I mix it with skim milk, 1 tbsp peanut butter and half a banana. Yum!
reddahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:54 AM   #13  
Ready to do this!

S/C/G: 215/197/145

Height: 5'7

I'm just curious, what issues is he struggling with, as far as the dietician goes?
reddahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:08 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I got the "healthy dinner" part from the first post.

My concern here is that there's no guidance for your husband as to what is a "healthy dinner". And 2 grilled cheese sandwiches, a bag of Doritos, and a soda is NOT a healthy dinner.

I'm concerned that the dietician is not working with your husband to help him learn a healthy way of eating - one that he's going to NEED to know after the surgery, if he gets it.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #15  

I tried protein shakes for a while and actually *gained* weight. If you're not careful you can do this, since they are meal replacements and very high in calories if you drink them, then snack throughout the day.
plaidkitty is offline   Reply With Quote