Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Ground Buffalo

I recently purchased a packet of ground buffalo because I was reading how it is super low in fat and a good alternative to ground beef. I was wondering if anyone has used it, I'm assuming I can use it to replace ground beef in most recipes but does anyone have any tried and true recipes?
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #2  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I love Buffalo/Bison burgers. My favorite way to cook it is to season it with a bit of onion powder, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, then throw them on the grill for ten minutes. I then top the burgers with a combination of toppings - sauteed mushrooms, onions, and lowfat swiss cheese or cheddar cheese; mexican style - cheddar cheese, guacamole, and salsa; or just plain ol' american style burger, with turkey bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo, and onion. Mmmmmmm....
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #3  

I love cooking with that! It has a slightly stronger flavor than ground beef, but it is delicious. I usually use it for making burgers and sprinkle them with Weber's steak seasoning and I add grated garlic and mix it in with the meat. yummmm.

It is also delicious in chili and meatloaf and the calorie count is soooo much less.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:17 AM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Not all ground buffalo is low in fat; you have to read the nutritional info on the package (hopefully the package includes this info). It's just like any other ground meat; the fat content depends on how much fat they include when they grind it up. The ground beef sold by my grocery store is leaner than the ground buffalo they sell.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The one thing you've got to remember with very lean meats (if it is in fact very lean - and this is true for very lean beef as well) that it dries out faster than less lean cuts, so be careful not to overcook it. Otherwise, it really is interchangeable with beef.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #6  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

yum! I found that in my grocery store last winter. I use it in tacos, spaghetti sauce, and cassaroles that call for ground meat. My son can't even taste the difference.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote