Old 10-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #1  
Arilib

S/C/G: 223/129/1??

Height: 5'3"

Default Wardrobe Maintenance

I guess this falls more under budgetary advice: How do you maintain your wardrobe as you lose weight? Seems like when I buy something, it's too big in a few weeks. Not that I'm complaining (more like constantly celebrating), but I'm a grad student, and strapped-for-cash by definition. Any suggestions?
arilib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i have the same issue. All i can think of so far is to have things taken in by a seemstress but i havent tried that yet so i dont know how well it works or how cheap it is. Alternatively we could just take them in ourselves.
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Look at thrift and consignment shops as well as sales.

I believe you have a Buffalo Exchange in Austin. You can take in your too big clothes and get credit towards other stuff. The Buffalo Exchange here has some pretty cool stuff that's in great condition.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I saved a lot of my clothes from when I was size 16 (and 18s), but didn't really buy a lot in size 20, because when I was gaining weight I always thought it was temporary and wore too-tight clothes or my boyfriends clothes instead of buying anything. I finally gave in when I reached size 22, and bought a bunch of things, none of which I can wear now! So now, I'm stuck in between these two piles of clothes!

I can't really afford to buy a whole new wardrobe either, especially since I only expect to be in this size for a few months. So what I did was went to wal-mart and bought a pair of jeans for $20, so I don't always have to wear something baggy or tight. I also went to the thrift store for t-shirts. Luckily, shopping at thriftstores seems to be the trendy thing around campus, so I don't have to worry about it! (But I probably would have gone there anyway, I want to save my "new wardrobe" money for when I can really get cute things).
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #5  
Wishing...

S/C/G: 160/160/130

Height: 5' 8"

I live in ND and we have Plato's Closet which excepts nicley used clothes that in return you can receive in store credit or money... Is there maybe an option for that in your area? Or have a garage sale before it gets too cold out to get some extra cash for a few things for in between sizes as you are losing your weight? Also thrift stores are abundant with cute clothes too, you just have to be a great bargain shopper and take time to look!
Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

That is the hardest part. My mom has been really great about when I go to see her buying me a couple of new pieces of clothing mainly suits. I buy clothing tight and wear spandx to try and stretch out the life. I also try and shop sales and clearance.

Try and buy a few staples and go from there. You can always accessorize to change things up. Layering is another key to make it look like you have a ton of clothing.

Lastly I shop at resale shops. You can get a ton of nice stuff really cheap.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #7  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

Good Will and Salvation Army are good for jeans. And really anything, you just have to have a good hunk of time to sort of invest in looking for stuff. But all thrift store shopping is like that.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Height: 5'6"

I try to use belts until I just can't handle it anymore. Then, I usually hit up clearance racks or go to stores like Burlington Coat Factory that have the brand names for cheaper.
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #9  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

I know that a lot of people shy away from altering their own clothes, but it really isn't that difficult! If you have a sewing machine, or know one that you can borrow, it is fairly simple to take in the seams to make it a few inches smaller. As long as the pants or shirt have a straight seam, use a sewing gauge or ruler to pin and mark your desiered amount to take in. Say you are taking your pants in 1 inch all the way down, turn the pants inside out, measure pin, and sew! If you would feel more comfortable, use the marking pens to draw yourself a line to sew on.

And if you are off a bit on a couple of stitches, is it really going to matter? No one will inspect your seams! This is the best way that I have found to extend the life of my fat clothes! By doing this, I can keep stashing money away for my skinny clothes!!!!
HeatherMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #10  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Personally I am quite handy with a sewing machine, so I've been taking in a few of my things as I go along. Whenever a shirt gets so big that I honestly can't wear it anymore because it looks like a sack on me, it gets the special treatment! Haha. I haven't tried sewing any of my pants yet, but it's looking like I'm going to have to try very, very soon... I got three pairs of jeans before I started school a few weeks ago, thinking that they'd fit me for a pretty long time, but they're already getting loose! I think I've gone down a size. I'm not complaining, either, but it feels like just a waste that I have these almost brand-new pants that I might not be able to wear anything... Which is why I'm going to have to try to sew them. I highly recommend the Salvation Army, Goodwill, Plato's Closet, etc too. That's definitely where I'll be getting my pants now until I reach my goal, heh.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:58 PM   #11  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
Look at thrift and consignment shops as well as sales.

I believe you have a Buffalo Exchange in Austin. You can take in your too big clothes and get credit towards other stuff. The Buffalo Exchange here has some pretty cool stuff that's in great condition.
Love love love the Buffalo Exchange.

Also, I would scour the clearance racks at Old Navy- home of the $4 work pants.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Hmm, I hopped over to my sister's tonight to get some basil from her garden, and got sent home with a whole bunch of pants to try on (she lost weight ahead of me). Got the basil too. And a really scrumptious smelling chili powder - my sister is such a food pusher , in the very best way.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:14 AM   #13  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Ive only ever bought cheap clothes....
ones from car boot sales or the local cheap stores....
can get a top for £1-£2 when they have reductions....
just lately I have been spending a little more, what with it getting colder....

im trying to save most of my pennies until after christmas....
when in January i hope to go on a massive shopping spree....
im hoping it will be a size 8 one too....
but thats wishful!....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

What about jeans. I also take in my tops, but Jeans - AGH. Anyone know how much it would be to get them taken in? My sewing machine doesn't do jeans haha. I need new ones, but I'm not planning on loosing much more weight, hopefully one more pant size. I hate waiting.
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arilib View Post
I guess this falls more under budgetary advice: How do you maintain your wardrobe as you lose weight? Seems like when I buy something, it's too big in a few weeks. Not that I'm complaining (more like constantly celebrating), but I'm a grad student, and strapped-for-cash by definition. Any suggestions?

one word, ebay.

you can buy clothes that fit you, and SELL the ones that don't. Virtually a win win situation and VERY easy on your wallet.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote