Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #1  
BlockHead =)

Default Tattoos and weight loss

Good morning all

I am a lurker in this forum. I consider myself an "alternachick" at heart though with age and motherhood I am less physically alternative than I am mentally.

I am asking this question here b/c I know that a good number of you have tats. I have always wanted one (or more) but have been either too wimpy or too broke or too fat to get one.

Yes I said too fat. B/c I have this perception that if I get a tat while I'm fat and then lose a significant amount of weight that the tat will end up looking weird, kinda like a deflated balloon.

I have no idea if this perception is based in reality. And I just reached my 50lb loss mark. Now I still have at least 69 lbs to lose and my 36-year-old skin is not as elastic as it once was. But I thought maybe after X-mas when funds are a bit better and hopefully I will have lost at least another 10-20 lbs, I might like to get my first tat.

Finally, to the question Do any of you have experience getting a tat at a higher weight and then losing a significant amount of weight? If so, what has your experience been? Does the tat change shape/color etc? Or does it remain the same?

Thanks in advance for answering (and feel free to laugh, I'm used to it )
I do hope this was the right place to ask this and that noone gets offended. I am just the kind of person that thinks about/worries about these things.

Happy Sunday all,
Jen

Last edited by jeniansmom; 10-05-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

I have a few tattoos. I haven't lost much weight but, I think it depends where you get it. Like I have tattoos on both ankles, and wrist. Those places really aren't that "fat", so I don't think losing weight will effect the tattoo. I'm sure if I had one on my stomach or hip, it would look weird afterwards. I just think if your going to get a tattoo while fat, get one where losing weight won't effect it. Thats my 2 cents anyways...
Old 10-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #3  

Height: 5,1"

Well i really hope my tattoos wont look weird after i lose weight! I've got a half sleeve on my left arm and one covering my right shoulder. I dont think mine should look any different after i've lost weight, i'm only hoping to lose around 20 pounds so my arms shouldnt shrink to much i dont think. It probably depends where you get the tattoo. I mean, if you get one on your tummy or your thigh, its bound to look a bit weird when you lose weight, but if you maybe a chest piece or something on your ankle for example i doubt it would change much because you not likely to have much fat on your chest or ankles?? Let us know what you decide to get done
Cat
x
Old 10-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #4  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I asked the same question a while ago, and Meg found this link for me: tattoos after weight loss

Check it out, it's really good insight.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I have over a half dozen, and they've traveled with me without change.
I went from 260 to 190 to 288 (and now 257) over the last few years, and there's no real change. The only place time something like that would happen to a tattoo is if you get it somewhere where extra skin forms (breast, stomach, etc) after weight loss. Arms, legs, even ankles, wrists, and backs should be fine...I've never known anyone to have a problem there.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #6  
BlockHead =)

Thanks for the encouraging words and sharing your experiences! And thanks for the link WWD, it was very helpful.
I think I need to start with something small to see how much of a whimp I am. I mentioned it to DH who knows I've always wanted a tattoo and he was really into it, though again I don't think I'll do it til after xmas due to $. But I think I will start with a small tribal tat on the back of my shoulder or maybe between my shoulder blades, so it won't show at work but will show in the summer in a bathing suit or even in a tank if I like my arms enough by then to wear them in public, hehe.
Jen
Old 10-06-2008, 01:53 AM   #7  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

I have chest tattoos, and they are the only ones I worry about because they're so lovely. I will see how things change with them.

But I've read countless times there's little to no change. Even in fatty areas. I heard it's worse when you gain weight, because it causes the balloon effect. In most cases people said that losing weight made the tattoo look better, brighter, etc.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #8  
New Chick

S/C/G: 235/223/145

Unless you have an extremely large amount to lose , I don't believe the tats will change much...just a little shrinkage.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #9  

Height: 5' 5"

I think you should be fine if it's gradual weight loss. I've known pregnant women who's tattoos (on stomach, chest or butt) have ended up looking distorted, but in pregnancy there is extreme changes in body in a short amount of time.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:40 PM   #10  
trying to find my way

S/C/G: 215/210/155

Height: 5'4"

I would advise getting one on not so plump body parts, hands, ankles, feet, etc. I have just started on my hands, soon to move up my arms for a half sleeve!

Last edited by crazy4eachother; 10-17-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #11  
won't be the "fat" friend

S/C/G: 283/283/140

Height: 5'10"

I have 4 tattoos BUT there all on areas that shouldn't really change when I lose the lbs. I do know that if they do change there is a lot of touch up that can be done to get them back in tip top shape as bodies often change with weight loss, gain and pregnancy. Also I've known people that get tattoos to cover stretch marks, scars etc.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #12  
BlockHead =)

Default Thank you!

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and being so encouraging. I have found a well-recommended tattoo place and I am going to call and see when I can get an appointment - I know he is booked until November sometime. This is the tattoo I've designed..it's simple but symbolic of me, DH, and DS. I wanted something simple enough to endure the pain but something where if I become an ink junky later I can easily add to I am going to get it high up between my shoulders blades (just below the cervical thoracic junction).

Old 10-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #13  
New Chick

S/C/G: 235/223/145

That will be an awesome tattoo. Please post post a picture of the final product. I'd love to see it.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #14  
Sexy Writer Chick

S/C/G: 235/235/125

My sister-in law has a unicorn on her chest - she got it when she was young. Her husband says it looks more like a giraffe now!! LOL
I guess that's what gravity does to tats.
Closed Thread