Old 10-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/230/165

Height: 5'11"

Default Hello my fellow 40 somethings!

Hi all. I am brand new here and just began my diet yesterday. I am trying to get healthy for my family and to set an example for my kids. I want strength and energy for activities with the family.

I am hoping that joining you all will help me through the struggles. I have been reading some of the posts here and you guys show great support for one another. Hopefully as I learn here I will then be able to help others too!
Joybells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/223/160

Height: 5'7"

Smile

Joybells! Jump into the chat and get to know everybody.
Hattie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:40 PM   #3  

Thank you Hattie22. I will!
Old 10-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #4  
47er

S/C/G: 215/191/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Joybells

, lately our 40's chat has been scarce. Many of our regular chatters must have alot going on so it's nice to have some new chickies to chat with. It really is a supportive group of gals. Glad you cvould join us.

Karen
dolphinlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 224/190/150

Hello there! I am new to this forum and have just recently started posting more all the way around. I really want to lose a significant amount of weight and need all the support I can! I personally think that the older we get, it adds an element so that it's a little harder to lose the weight but I'm not giving up. I LOVE my treadmill and that has really been a great motivator for me to exercise. I can zone out with my ipod and it's "alone time" for me. I also like the Wii bowling and tennis games to get me warmed up for exercising. Has anyone tried the Wii fitness package? I really want to get it. I bought the DDR thinking it would be silly and fun, but even my daughters don't like it. I really want to get into yoga, but most of the positions are hard to do being so large. I did find a plus-size womens yoga DVD and it's a little easier, although I wouldn't call it a work-out. It's more of a de-stressor, but at least it's a start. I wish everyone good luck! The Holidays are coming so we all need all the support and help we can get!
AspiringButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #6  

Thank you for the welcomes! I am looking forward to getting to know you all.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #7  

Smile

Carole:

I also do the Treadmill first thing in the morning (5am) for 30 minutes. I use the ipod also and have some great tunes that rev me up.
I have the wii fit and love it. I am trying to do that every night for at least 30 minutes. I do steps and boxing and the running. With working full time it gets a little hard to fit in between shopping, laundry, dinners..etc.. I also got myself a pedometer and am trying to increase the steps I take everyday.

Good thing my kids are grown, because I don't know how I would fit "me" time in. Now that they are grown, I have no excuse to not concentrate on myself. My husband is also very supportive.

For food, I am calorie counting (writing everything down that goes in my mouth). Within my 1400 calories, I am trying to balance all the good food groups and going with heavy on the veggies. Thank God I love veggies. I am finding that planning is the most important part for getting healthy. If I plan, I don't think about what I am not having. I am only thinking about what I am going to have. Does that make sense? I have also set up a reward system and reminder. I have a bracelet that I am adding beads to for every five lbs. I lose. The bracelet is a good reminder because it follows my hand to my mouth. As I look at the beads, I feel pride in what I am doing. I picked beads that signify something to me... Heart (healthy) star (reaching for the stars) butterfly (renewal) and a green bead to represent (go for it!). I am now working on my fifth bead. 3lbs to go before I can add it. I think it will be a different kind of heart bead. Anyway, Sorry I got long here...I just am excited for the first time that I really think that my mind is where it needs to be. I pray and hope I am right!
Old 10-08-2008, 06:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

I love the bead idea, Hattie! When my son was born, Hubby got me a charm bracelett with a baby bootie on it. Almost 5 years later, that is still my only charm. "Earning" charms is a great idea!

You guys might be able to help... I bought a juicer at a garage sale. $5! WooHoo! Yesterday, I put two tomatoes and a carrot through it. Yummy juice! When I was cleaning up, there was a lot of dry-ish carrot and tomato in the 'trash' part. That stuff has to be good for something. Any ideas?
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #9  

Hattie! I also love the bead idea, I think I'm going to do that. It will be a constant reminder of what I've achieved so far so I don't get down on myself when I don't lose or lose much. Hopefully it'll help me from backsliding.

Now you've got me excited to get the Wii fit. I am definitely going to work that into my budget. I love the bowling, so I'm sure I'll love the Wii fit too. Yeah, I wouldn't trade my treadmill for anything, it has saved me and helped with my stress. I have a thing about exercising in front of people, so I have to do things indoors mostly. I'm down to two kids at home but they're older, 19 and 14, but the 14 keeps me pretty busy still. The 19 yr old works and does her own thing most of the time. Seems like the 14 yr old always needs something brought to school or needs to get something for a class every other day so we're out shopping - teenagers are hectic, LOL! Anyway, I do have more "me" time, I just don't organize my time very well so I think I'm going to have to revisit that.

Love the new ideas, thanks!
Old 10-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #10  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: 209/186/160

Hello All,
Yup, I am a newbie around here. Finding this forum has helped me so much the last few days. I just began a new weight loss program (MF) and I am giving it 100%. Being able to chat with others sure does help to stay on the right track. Looking forward to chatting with all of you.
TwoBThinAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #11  
47er

S/C/G: 215/191/155

Default Hi again everyone

TwoBThinAgain. Joybells I know you started this thread but you and Carole, Aspiring Butterfly, TwoBThinAgain, Shelby29 (did I leave anyone out?) should hop on over to the October 40's chatter so we are all in one place (that is if you want to).

Let's do this journey together!

Karen
dolphinlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #12  

Smile

Welcome twobthinagain

I am so glad you like the bead idea Chelby29 and Carole. It is really helping me and I wanted to share it with others. I originally got the idea from The Biggest Loser book. One of the past losers suggested getting a ring or bracelet that you could see all the time. He had a BL ring that he got from doing the show. I love the pandora bracelets and have one started so I thought about doing the bead thing. I found a nice black leather bracelet that has a sterling silver catch. The great thing about this bracelet is that it comes to you at 9". You just cut it down for the size you need. I hate bracelets that don't fit!!! I ordered a couple of beads so that I had them in anticipation of the lost weight.
This is the web site I ordered from www.funtofinejewelry.com
If I did the attachment thing right...I attached a pic of the bracelet and my first heart bead. BTW.. I have 2 more lbs until I can add on my 5th bead.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Picture 1.pdf (12.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf Picture 2.pdf (14.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/188/120

You All Are Great! Tomorrow I have my first weigh in and I'm so grateful I found this site. Thank you for the website Hattie22 - I wanted something to reward myself and your suggestion is the perfect idea.
chunckymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #14  

TwoBThinAgain, Welcome! Blessings to everyone this weekend and I hope that we all have a great weekend! Football season is upon us, does anyone have any healthful suggestions other than the regular veggies and fatfree dip for watching the games? I've done the shrimp platter thing before but not everyone loves shrimp.