Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #1  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Another Steel Cut Oats Question!

Sorry if it's been posted a million tmes already!!! But I would LOVE to know how to do the steel cut oats in the crock pot overnight...any fabulous recipes? Preferably something with cinnamon? apples? I have been dreaming of nice, warm-you-from-the-inside-out oatmeal! Thanks in advance!
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:32 AM   #2  
to better health

This is how I make it: Spray slow cooker with Pam. For each cup of steel cut oats, add 4 1/2 cups of water. (1 cup oats serves 3-4) Add chopped fruit, raisins, cinnamon, etc. as desired. Cook on low overnight, about 8 hours. This is so good on a cold fall/winter morning.
Marlene On A Mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Another Crockpot Oat Recipe

Here is how I fix mine:

1 cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup cranberries, optional. I have used apples, apricots, cherries
1/2 cup raisins, optional
3 cups hot water
1 1/2 cup milk, we use skim
1/4 cup brown sugar, we either use stevia or splenda brown sugar blend
1 TBSP of cinnamon, I don't use this much. Probably about a tsp.

Spray the inside of your crockpot. Dump everything in and set on low for 8 hours. I need the Vit D and Calcium so I mix mine with Fage yogurt when I eat it.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #4  

I like the sound of those recipes. Once the oatmeal is complete can it be put in individual serving containers and then frozen? I am just wondering how it would be thawed and then reheated.

It would be time saving to make some up on a weekend and thaw them out during the week as needed.
DianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 259/224/148

this sounds wonderful, where do you get this oatmeal from. does it have to be this certain type or can you use quaker oats??
Nichole28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #6  

From what I understand the steel cut oats work well in the crock pot because they take longer to cook, but not the rolled oats or quick oats. I could be wrong because I have never done it before.

Quaker's makes a steel cut oats. I just bought my first canister at target and it was right next to the other Quaker oat types.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 259/224/148

awesome!!! I will be looking for these tomorrow at the store I am so make this for breakfast for monday yummm
Nichole28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #8  
Diabetes Rocks!!

S/C/G: 326/276/240?

Height: 5'11"

yes, i wanna know more about the freezing or making it last all week...i LOVE oatmeal
cardinalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I make steel cut oats in my rice cooker. I put a cup of steel cut oats then 2 cups of soy milk/almond milk/rice milk. I'll put a little salt (or else it might bubble). Then I put it in the fridge. When I want to eat it, I add 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree, cinnamon and another 1/2 cup of non dairy milk and put it in the microwave. Stir and you have nice hot steel cut oats.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

When I have done it this way I've never frozen the extra servings. If I make a 4-serving pot, I just scoop the leftovers into a container and stick it in the fridge, it'll keep in there for a week at least. Each morning I take out what I need and reheat. Freezing seems unnecessary if you're going to eat the remaining 3 portions within a week or so... I suppose if you had to you could freeze it, then stick it in the fridge the day before you want to eat it so it doesn't take so long to thaw in the microwave in the morning?
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Rolled oats or quick oats will get mushy and slimy in the crock pot.

Steel cut oats are whole oats, not pressed and rolled, so they take longer to cook and retain more "tooth" to them than rolled.

I just put mine in the crock pot 1:4 (1 part oats to 4 parts water) and let it go overnight. I don't add anything while they're cooking because I never know what I might be in the mood for at the time I eat them.

I don't freeze mine - one batch does me for the week, so I don't see any need to freeze it. I just put them in individual containers and put them in the fridge. When I get to the office, I'll nuke them and add whatever I want for flavor. I don't like sweet things in the morning so I usually add some shredded cheese and some salt and pepper. But you could add a splash of milk, some sugar or brown sugar, fruits, nuts, whatever.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #12  

Thank you for the information on freezing servings. I was not sure of the shelf life of oatmeal once cooked. Living in Florida I do not always want a hot breakfast depending on how hot a morning it is. I did not want any to go to waste. It is nice to know it can be frozen if necessary, but between a week and a week and a half if it keeps that long in the fridge I would eat all the servings.