General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default I need a new job - Revised

Ok, so you may or may not have read a thread I wrote about needing a new job. I have vacation at the end of this month and then I was going to start interviewing. I currently work at a company that is not doing well due to the economic crisis. Anyway, there is a company hiring that is right near my home and it's in the medical industry, which I have always wanted to be in. Anyway, I have hit a new snag. My assistant manager has been diagnosed with cancer and starting this Friday is going to be out. Currently people have been leaving for other reasons and not being replaced, so everyone's work load is kind of stretched. Now with her being out for an undetermined amount of time, I feel bad looking for a new job. What do you guys think? Am I a monster for wanting to still leave?
amandarose17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I don't think so. You have to think of yourself and do what you need to do in order to support yourself!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

If your company decides to make cuts and cuts YOU, do you think they'll feel bad? Probably not.

You HAVE to look out for yourself first. That doesn't mean lying, cheating, or stealing, but it does mean remembering that this is a *company* and you are a human being. Do what's best for you and your future.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 8"

You gotta look out for number one. Yes, you can still do your very best for them as long as you are collecting a paycheck but, look at it this way, do you think upper management would feel like monsters if they decided to eliminate your department? Probably not.

I'm kind of in a similar boat - my company is moving out of state so I know I am out of a job in December. We've already cut staff by about half so everyone is having to do double duty for the next couple of months. I've started sending out my resume but if I do find something new and leave before the end of the year it's going to put a real burden on my coworkers. It would make me feel a little guilty but if I get an offer for a good position I'm certainly not going to turn it down.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #5  

Heh heh PhotoChick - we posted at the same time - that great minds thing again
Old 10-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #6  
Operator265

And the sooner, the better. The labor market is going to get tougher as time goes on and the economic problems settle in deeper.

It just amazes me when "companies" cry about there being no loyalty from employees when there is no concern on their part about laying people off. They're just happy to see there stock prices go up b/c of it.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #7  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

my company just fired a woman who'd worked there for about 8 years for non-performance reasons & now they are contesting her filing for unemployment. will i feel bad when i leave them? Heck no i'd do cartwheels out the door while flipping them off if i could. lol.
I agree- there is no loyalty to you, so you shouldn't stress too much about it.
Once I stayed at my old job for a month after I "quit" working part time while I worked full time at my new job- because they couldn't live w/o me. It was stupid and I really got nothing for it in the end.

Last edited by lizziep; 10-08-2008 at 12:45 PM.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

I'm with everyone else. Keep lookin! Your not a monster!
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 150/147/120

Height: 5'5"

I know that it sounds harsh, but in my opinion it seems that nowadays employers have to strip themselves of a bit of their humanity when it comes to employee relations. It seems to me that the circumstances surrounding an individual (new parents, sudden illness, etc.) don't seem to evoke the same empathy that they once did and people are just looking at the bottom line.

I know from first hand experience.

I was hired into a very small firm - me and three other people - thinking how exciting it would be to be a part of a growing company. Contrary to his assurances that the company was growing, I quickly realized that it was in fact stagnating. The day I realized that I told myself that I would only stay there a year (to build up some experience since I had switched fields) and then move on. The owner had bitten off a bit more than he could chew by hiring myself and another person to replace a woman who left. One day, out of the blue, he called me into his office when everyone was at lunch and told me that things weren't working out (he didn't get any more specific than that, even when I pressed). Then as I was packing up my stuff he had the gall to tell me that if I submitted a resignation letter it would look better on my record. I may have been born at night, but not last night and thankfully I did no such thing otherwise I would have been inelligble for unemployment. However, that wasn't the end of it. When I went to the unemployment office to try to collect unemployment I turned out that he was contesting it on the grounds that I had exhibited poor performance. That was such a bald faced lie that I actually laughed in the face of the interviewer at the unemployment office and told him that he could call any one of my previous employers for a stellar reference. Thankfully, I won the case and was paid out my unemployment.

Now, what I ask myself is that if he had known that he wouldn't be able to afford to keep me on the payroll why didn't he call me into his office much sooner and explain the situation, give me a timeline to find something new, etc. and not totally pull the rug out from under me and try to drag my name through the mud. That's what I would have done, but I guess I'm just a more compassionate person.

Sorry for the rambling, but I guess I'm still mad about the whole situation even though it's been over a year. I don't think you ever forget about these kinds of things. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you swim with sharks you better have sharp teeth and be prepared to bite.
paniania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/145

WOW, this is a much different response than I got last time I posted. My other concern was going to a new company, only to be laid off because of bad times.Last hired, first fired. I work as an administrative assistant and I am hoping to continue this field, but in a health care environment, which I always feel is growing. Do you guys feel the same way? I mean I know no one is exempt from feeling these hard times, but what do you think, are some careers more safe than others???
amandarose17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #11  

Hm. Well I just went back and looked at your last post on the topic and I think the reason you got different responses is because you asked a different question.

Your first question was (paraphrased): Things are tough at my company and I'm being asked to fill in doing things I hate, and should I tough it out? To that question, my response is: There's no harm in looking for something else if you're unhappy where you are, but don't burn any bridges at your current job because with the economy the way it is now, you never know if you'll be able to find something. Right now I do think whatever your current job is, you kinda have to suck up the extra work load until and unless you have a solid alternative plan. Otherwise you might find yourself out of work and not able to find something else.

Your question above was (paraphrased): I'm concerned about the future of my company, and I have another opportunity, and am I a bad person for wanting to switch jobs? And my response to that is: You don't owe your current company any loyalty above and beyond doing the best possible job you can for them when you're there. But if you can find a better, more stable opportunity elsewhere, then you shouldn't feel guilty about taking it and moving on.

So really you're getting the same answer in both threads - just from different perspectives because of the way the question was phrased: Don't jump ship just because you're being asked to do extra work that you hate, but don't feel like you owe the company your first born just because they employ you either. Take care of yourself first - whether that means being cautious and holding on to the position you have or moving to something better.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandarose17 View Post
WOW, this is a much different response than I got last time I posted. My other concern was going to a new company, only to be laid off because of bad times.Last hired, first fired. I work as an administrative assistant and I am hoping to continue this field, but in a health care environment, which I always feel is growing. Do you guys feel the same way? I mean I know no one is exempt from feeling these hard times, but what do you think, are some careers more safe than others???
These days I'm not sure I would claim ANY particular career as being totally safe, but I do think the health care field might be one of the more stable ones though - people are going to get sick whether they can afford to or not.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:10 AM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

Only you can deciede whether your actions make you a monster or not. I don't know the whole situation or your co-workers situations

On a side note, IMO part of the problem with the world today is that everyone ONLY thinkgs about themselves. Things would be a lot better if people considered how their actions affect others.
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:46 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

I think you should always look out for yourself. So first...if you think the company may be failing....its probably not a bad idea. You need to look out for yourself. But yes you are correct, if you are the last hired you may be the first fired. But that being said...if you are a good worker...you may not be let go..and also, the medical field doesn't seem to be totally affected by the economy. People continue to get sick. So from what i've seen for now, that's an area that still is doing ok. I also think, if you aren't happy at a current job, you really need to find a job you like to do.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #15  

Quote:
On a side note, IMO part of the problem with the world today is that everyone ONLY thinkgs about themselves. Things would be a lot better if people considered how their actions affect others.
While I agree with this concept in general, I don't think it applies to one's employment. I would never think about whether or not I should take another job because doing so would put pressure on the co-workers I left behind.

In today's economy and with companies not having the loyalty to employees that they used to have, sacrificing your opportunity to increase your income or get a better job because you might feel bad for co-workers left behind is .. IMO ... not smart.