Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #1  
Round is a Shape !

S/C/G: 340/188/170

Height: 5 foot 3 inches

Question Has anyone gained any weight back after WLS.

Has anyone gained any weight back after WLS.
If so how much and how far out were you?
I ask because I struggle with my weight each and every day. I'm 4 years out and have Gained 40 pounds. I have lost 10 of that 40 , but I'm sooooo discouraged.
My Dr. Said "I'm Fine" "It's just my age" But I want to be back to my size 6 and under 160!

Susan AKA:SasMnky!
myspace.com/sasmnky
obesityhelp.com/member/sasmnky
340/298/188/170
Before/atWLS/Current/Goal!
Working on getting those pounds Off again!
WLS 7/04 at 298/ As Low as ... 150

Sasmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/219/150

Height: 5'7"

I did not have WLS, but my mother did. She reached her goal weight and then gained about 20 or so back and has been consistent with that weight over the past few years. Truthfully, she looks much better with that 20 pounds back on than at her set goal weight. She was told that her body weight would drop low, then move back to where it's comfortable.
Mae8217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I didn't have WLS but I did have a relative who did. She lost quite a bit of weight, never got under 200 lbs and then gained most of it back. I've seen others pop in here and say they gained some or all of it back.

I don't know anyone who has lost a lot of weight that doesn't struggle with their weight constantly. You aren't alone, WLS or not.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

A guy I work with had it done, and gained all plus more back. His is just a case of not doing ANYTHING the doctors told him. He kept it off for a couple of years, but has now gained to a higher point then he was before the surgery. It's all about what he eats though. I mean, he eats CONSTANTLY! Because his stomach can't hold food, he just eats all day long. And nothing healthy either. it's just a sad case of not listening & still not understand that he CAN NOT eat whatever he wants. I don't believe that is the norm, at all.
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

<sigh> yes. about 40 pounds. and i'm 6 years out. and trying to pay closer attention to what's going on. not happy about it. but the stress of the past couple of years - taking care of the alzheimer's mom and working full time - really took its toll. but now, at least, i'm FINALLY in a position to do something about it, and i am.

and i lost 8 pounds last month!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 415/238/220

Height: 5' 11"

Wow that's scary, I could see how that could happen. Bottom line most people don't get really big without having some kind of issue with food. I know I do.

I just hope that I have the will power (aided by my surgery) to combat this and get to a reasonable/heathy wieght.

Wes
JustWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #7  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

That's why I have been continuing to work with a counselor, before and after surgery...to pin point my issues with food and deal with them the best I can. I am having difficulty dealing with my mother dying, my daughter leaving and other hard things that I don't want to eat over but I am better equiped to handle the emotional part then I would have without counseling. I hope to be able to continue not turning back to overeating but I am only 8 months out and am still in the honeymoon phase.

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I have two family friends that have gained back 40-60 pounds, and they tell me that the important thing is not to celebrate too early, but to work with your doctor on maintenance.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #9  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

I gained ack 10 and I've lost 5
Jiffy Congrats!!!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #10  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

im not gaining any back but im not losing either. ive got the most horrible stuff going on now that involves the molestation of my 4 year old dgt. i havent worked out in a month or better. my weight is the least of my worries right now. i know everybody is looking at me expecting me to be super skinny but right now im just concentrating on my family.
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Oh mistymed, my heart and thoughts and prayers are with you. Hold that child close to you and hug her for all she is worth!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

My prayers are with you mistymed.
I've gained 20 lbs back and lost 4 of them again. I got down to 118 though and I needed to gain a little back. I was looking unhealthy. But shoot!! I do want to get back in my new clothes. And did I have to gain all of it back in my stomach?? If it wasn't for that I could still fit in my clothes. I would like to lose at least 10 more again. But if I don't I'm still happy. Considering where I was 3 years ago it's just amazing.
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:08 PM   #13  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I've not gained but have slowed waaaaaaaay down. I understand that in the second 6 month period that is the case but come on!!! Since mom died I have not been eating as I should...I think I am going to call the NUT tomorrow and get some enthusiaum back, steal some of hers! I am all about losing the weight but the eating part gets harder.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 10-09-2008 at 11:08 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #14  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Sadly I personally know 3 people that have had gastric bypass, and each one of them have gained a large percentage or all of their weight back after a few years. These people are my motivation to try one more time by diet and exercise, and skip the knife until my last resort. I don't know anyone personally who has gotten the lap-band, but it seems from what I've read, you can always get a fill if you begin to gain...but I'm no expert.

One woman is a few years older than me and is a very beautiful person. She is very short, (about 5') and weighed about 350 pounds. She got down to about 150 and Looked magnificent. I saw her a Wal-mart one day last fall as big as ever. She was searching for "fat clothes" to wear on a holiday trip because she had out grown all her clothes, (and gave away all her big clothes). I felt terrible for her. I saw her again at graduation and I'd guess she had gained every pound back.

Another girl who is a little younger than me and about the same height started out at 280. She went to NC from NE to have some terrific surgeon do her surgery. She got down to about 140. Looked great, met a man, got married, and had a baby. Her baby died from SIDS at 2 months old, (it was a terrible tragedy), and she has gained at least 100 pounds since then. She blames her WLS for her baby's death somehow, (although never proven to be the cause)...I feel terrible for her.

The last person is a guy who is a local dairy farmer. He started out as a big man, at around 500 pounds. He lost about 200 pounds and stayed around 300 for a year or so. Last time I saw him a few months ago he was a big as ever.

Sadly, even with major surgery, food is an all powerful drug for a lot of us.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 10-10-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Default Yes You Can!!!

That is one of the biggest fears of people who have had somekind of WLS. When I read these stories, about regain, I think of my own sister who was barely 100 lbs. overweight, had the surgery and maintained for quite a few years. Then job related things, multiple unrelated surgery, and then her son got sent to prison for attempted murder and she fell into an eating frenzy. She only lost 85 lbs and she has pretty much put it all back on. Took her about 9 or 10 years. She eats sugary stuff, fatty stuff, grazes and pretty much back to her old eating habits. She did tell me that she still can't do very much bread!!!! You can fix our bodies, but that doesn't fix the brain. I keep encouraging her to go to a NUT, find a group of WLS people and get back on the road to health. I know I'm in the honeymoon period, and pray to God everyday to help me overcome my addiction to food and to let me live the rest of my years, that I may have, able to move and give back. I know WLS has saved my life, and I don't want to go back ever, ever again.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote