Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Default Wine

I dont get it. I really want to like red wine because it's so good for you, but I dont think I have the taste for it. I've tried pomegrante... the wine monger said it would be to my liking. Wasn't. I've done Beringer's Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Zinfindel. Is Beringer just a bad brand? I dunno... Can anyone recommend a good starter wine?
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

This is my favorite at the moment:

I have read that a lot of the benefits to reds can also be found in whites because it's the grapes themselves that contain the antioxidents. I would also recommend pinot grigio. I find both varieties to be more "crisp" and light to my liking.

This is my favorite pinot grigio, but it's a little pricey. Sometimes I can find it on sale for under $15.

Last edited by junebug41; 09-24-2008 at 11:42 AM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Pinot Noir is nice but really if you don't like wine, don't force yourself. You can get antioxidants from eating grapes, blueberries, drinking tea, etc.

Last edited by nelie; 09-24-2008 at 01:25 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #4  

Has anyone instantly liked wine or have you had to acquire the taste?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I started off with sweeter wines like white zinfandel, but I have definitely acquired an appreciation for certain varieties that I may not have liked when I began drinking wine. I think most people grow up used to drinks that are sweet (except for water) and to me, wine isn't "sweet" (although it can be described as such), so yes, for me it was acquired.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

It's an acquired taste. Although, I liked it fairly quickly, I was also drinking sweeter wines at first (unknowingly.) I used to work at a winery in the tasting room and I'd say most people start out drinking sweet whites and then move on to others as their tastes progress.

I'd start with a Riesling and go from there. A good one to try would be Chateau St. Michelle or 'M' by Dr. Loosen. They are both on the sweet side, but not sickeningly so. As far as reds, Lambruscos are fizzy and slightly sweet and although it's not top of the line quality Yellow Tail Shiraz is somewhat sweet for a red. When you are starting out I don't feel it necessary to spend on high quality. Just experiment and find something you like. Maybe try wine tasting at a wine shop to see what you like? For the record, I don't like Beringer either.

You may find you just don't like wine. If this is the case don't worry about it. My best friend doesn't like beer or wine. Plus, there is actually some benefit to drinking any type of alcohol moderately because it thins the blood. As far as antioxidants, Nelie is correct, there are many other sources (blue and purple fruits and juices, dark chocolate, tea, coffee, etc.)
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Yeah, I wouldn't feel as though you HAD to like it. I personally love red wine and have as long as I can remember. I don't like sweet drinks at all - the occasional margarita or whatever being an exception - and I really like the taste of a good dry red.

I also like the newer (relatively) blends that are on the market. The Aussie wineries like Black Opal and Rosemont are doing a lot of Cab/Merlot and Cab/Shiraz blends

Merlots and Pinots are the "lightest" of the dry reds and you might try them first, before moving on to a heavier wine like a Shiraz or a Cabernet.

This is my favorite at the moment:
http://www.blackopalwines.com/wines/cabmerlot.html

Oh yeah, and I'm not a fan of Beringer or Turning Leaf, both brands my MIL adores. I buy my own wine when we go to visit.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 09-24-2008 at 03:22 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

I never considered myself a wine person as I have always preferred to drink something else. However, I have discovered that wines made from different grapes, in different regions, and different brands will vary vastly in taste.

These are some of my favorite reds:

7 deadly zins - ripe and rich with lots of spice

I like wines from Rioja such as San Lorenzo-Reserva - "delicious flavours of ripe plums and soft spices"

Mendoza-Tempranillo-Argentina: Tempranillo is my favorite grape. So tasty. Light bodied and easy drinking.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I'm surprised to see recommendations for Pinot. When I was in the industry Pinot was looked at as a grape that was "hard to love" (Sideways hype aside.) Now granted, I love a good pinot, but the good ones are expensive and they are much drier and more acidic then other reds. Raw23~if you do want to try a pinot noir I'd stick with the ones from Oregon as they tend to be "softer" then those from California.

Oh and one thing to take into consideration, wine is always better when enjoyed with food.

Last edited by zenor77; 09-24-2008 at 07:19 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #10  

Hmm... maybe that's part of my problem. When I've tried wine it's been by itself, but I've always heard of people enjoying a good steak with a red wine. Guess there's something to pairing!
I did like the merlot a little better than the others I've tried (but it was Beringer) so maybe I'll try some other brands. Tisdale wasn't impressive either, is that another bad brand?
How important is location? There are some Oklahoma wineries (you know, those world famous Oklahoma wines ) that I would like to visit. Is there an advantage to locally grown wine? Or should I stay away from those and stick with more well known growers (calif, ore, etc)?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #11  

Well, I think growing location has a lot to do with the quality of the wine, yeah. Good grapes make good wine.

I don't know anything about OK wines, to be honest. I know that there are some pretty good TX wines, but mostly from around the hill country. Oregon and Washington have good wines, obviously California wines are pretty highly regarded. Actually ... one of my food blogs had an article about wines from each of the 50 states ... ah ... found it!!

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...837245,00.html

Linked to this Time article. There's some interesting information about various state wines.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #12  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I started out with wine coolers, but they are pretty high in calories, so I wouldn't recommend them. Then I graduated to very cheap white wine (think jugs of Gallo), then graduated to inexpensive whites. I never liked red wine until I started restricting my calories and exercising, but now I love it, more than white. I don't know why a restricted calorie diet and exercise would make me like red wine, but it has. But I still stick with the inexpensive wines (under $10 a bottle). Expensive wine is wasted on me. If I tasted a $5 wine and a $100 wine side-by-side I doubt I could tell which was the expensive wine (if anything, I'd probably like the $5 wine better).

I have to say though, that if I didn't like wine, I wouldn't be trying to make myself like it. Although it has some minimal health benefits when consumed in moderation, it also has plenty of negatives in terms of your health (including that it is high in calories and drinking it tends to make you want to eat other high calorie foods). Why create one more high calorie food/beverage that you want but have to restrict? Seems to me, if you don't like it, leave it alone and move onto foods and beverages you do like.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #13  

Quote:
Expensive wine is wasted on me. If I tasted a $5 wine and a $100 wine side-by-side I doubt I could tell which was the expensive wine (if anything, I'd probably like the $5 wine better).
Honestly I used to feel the same way, but I've had some expensive wines that have truly knocked my socks off.

Not every expensive wine is worth it, but I will say that the ones I've had that are good are superlatively good and worth the money. Not that I can afford them more than once in a blue moon - if that!

Last edited by PhotoChick; 09-24-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I'm happy with what I've been drinking with dinner lately - 1/4c pomegranate juice, 3/4c berry seltzer (no sugar or sweeteners) and a splash of white wine (1-2T tops). I guess it's a homemade spritzer. Feels like a nice little treat.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 09-24-2008 at 10:18 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
I have to say though, that if I didn't like wine, I wouldn't be trying to make myself like it. Although it has some minimal health benefits when consumed in moderation, it also has plenty of negatives in terms of your health (including that it is high in calories and drinking it tends to make you want to eat other high calorie foods). Why create one more high calorie food/beverage that you want but have to restrict? Seems to me, if you don't like it, leave it alone and move onto foods and beverages you do like.

Just trying to expand my horizons... you know, try new things. Feel like I should be giving it a valid shot instead of trying cheap wines and thinking I dont like any wine.